Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 02:06 PM

28 posts, read 24,496 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to relocate to either the Cary, Holly Springs, or the Apex area and I am trying to figure if there are any particular neighborhoods I should avoid with high crime. I am relocating from an area in Miami that has high crime (e.g. burglary, vehicle break-ins, homicide, prostitution) so I am definitely seeking a low crime area. My husband and I are both in our early 30's but we don't really care about being close to any nightclubs, we've had enough of that in Miami. We want to settle down and have a family soon.

Not to mention the cost of living would be different (Miami has apartments at an average of $1800 for a studio). I already requested from the local police departments in those areas for any reports to give me an idea but would still love your thoughts.

Also, are houses/townhomes/apartments around $1,000-$1,200 even feasible in those locations? I don’t care if it’s a 1 or 2 bedroom house or apartment. Do they charge pet rent in NC? I’m definitely taking a trip to scope things out beforehand but would love some ideas as to what to check out while I’m there.
Commuting to work will not be an issue, as I would be working from home as a researcher.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 03:00 PM

16,413 posts, read 12,476,648 times
If you're looking at Cary, Holly Springs, or Apex, you're not going to worry much about crime, and there definitely aren't nightclubs to speak of. Sure, there are some neighborhoods that are better than others (but it's not likely you would gravitate to the less desirable low income neighborhoods anyway, given your budget). Crime does exist (as it does anywhere), but certainly nowhere near the level of Miami. For example, Holly Springs recently had a number of car break-ins, but all the cars had been left unlocked. So use common sense, and you should be fine. There are no neighborhoods in those towns with "high crime".

If you're going to be working from home, I definitely recommend a two-bedroom, and you should be able to get one under or around $1200. The closer you are to the $1200, the better the complex will be (generally speaking. That is, don't try to cheap out and get a 2-bdrm for $800) Pet rent depends on the apartment complex. Mine, for example, has a $200 deposit and I think it's $10 or $20 per month.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:47 PM

715 posts, read 887,937 times
I split my time between here and Florida and know FL pretty well so can't blame you for leaving Miami if you are done with that scene. Why leave FL all together to come here?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,255,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're looking at Cary, Holly Springs, or Apex, you're not going to worry much about crime
I would disagree with that. I really don't want to blow things out of proportion, but before moving here I never worried about protecting my property. Thing's are different here - I need two hands hands to count the number of burglaries/home invasions that have occurred in my two years here. Home security is a big business here.

Relatively it is a very safe area, but it really depends on what you are used to. That being said, I'm guessing crime here doesn't compare to Miami.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I would disagree with that. I really don't want to blow things out of proportion, but before moving here I never worried about protecting my property. Thing's are different here - I need two hands hands to count the number of burglaries/home invasions that have occurred in my two years here. Home security is a big business here.

Relatively it is a very safe area, but it really depends on what you are used to. That being said, I'm guessing crime here doesn't compare to Miami.
I hope I didn't make it sound like they're going to be able to leave their door open and unlocked 24/7 and leave their wallet laying in the driver's seat. Like I said in my post, there's certainly crime (as there is anywhere), but it's nothing particularly alarming. You can count on two hands over the last two years. In Miami, they are taking off their socks by the end of the month. (Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my drift).

Plenty of people in the area still feel safe, even without a home security system.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:24 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,074,921 times
m378, what area is that? and what kinds of crimes?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I hope I didn't make it sound like they're going to be able to leave their door open and unlocked 24/7 and leave their wallet laying in the driver's seat. Like I said in my post, there's certainly crime (as there is anywhere), but it's nothing particularly alarming. You can count on two hands over the last two years. In Miami, they are taking off their socks by the end of the month. (Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my drift).
No - you didn't. I just feel like the amount of crime is underestimated, especially in Cary. Cary in the past has been listed as "the safest town to live in in the US" or something along those lines. This is a little misleading because they were only including towns over a certain population. Cary is an ENORMOUS town population-wise.

Edit: As of July 2015 Cary was the 7th largest town in the US.

For example:

Quote:
Cary, NC – Reports keep rolling in about the high standards of living and business opportunities in Cary. But one of the biggest accolades comes from an FBI report which shows Cary is the safest town of its population size.
http://carycitizen.com/2016/10/14/ca...ty-in-america/

I'm not saying it's unsafe living here overall. I'm just saying if you're used to a place where you can leave your doors unlocked, the Triangle is different.

Last edited by m378; 06-22-2017 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,673,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
m378, what area is that? and what kinds of crimes?
Must be the Cary-Detroit border area.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm just saying if you're used to a place where you can leave your doors unlocked, the Triangle is different.
Well, the OP isn't.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Well, the OP isn't.
Understood, but there's a lot of people that come to these forums doing relocation research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary