Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:34 PM

90 posts, read 89,851 times

Advertisements

I moved to Raleigh in June and am trying to figure out the school system. I want to apply to a year-round school (which is not our base school), but the website says they are not accepting applications. Does this hold true even for new residents? Do we have to attend the base school for a year and then cross our fingers that we'll get into the year-round school the next year? This is very confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 08:43 PM

360 posts, read 721,206 times
The year round schools are on a lottery system as I understand it and you have get your application in by the deadline regardless of if you are a new resident or not. Once you get it in you get put into the lottery so to speak and have a chance to get in the following year. There aren't any guarantees of getting in even then.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
The year round schools are on a lottery system as I understand it and you have get your application in by the deadline regardless of if you are a new resident or not. Once you get it in you get put into the lottery so to speak and have a chance to get in the following year. There aren't any guarantees of getting in even then.
Ummm....no...I think you are thinking of magnet schools. Maybe the OP is too since s/he talked about applications.

If your base school is a YR school then that's where you go.

OP, is the YR school that you want to go to your "calendar option" or is it just some random school that you want to attend?
Or are you actually referencing MAGNET schools? If you are talking about magnet schools you are out of luck till next year.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:44 PM

My base school is NOT a year round school. The year round is the calendar option.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
if they have space in the track you seek, they should approve it. Now, if SY2017-2018 started weeks ago you might have issues. Many of our "year round multi track" schools are either 1 track or 2 though, not the 4 that YR is advertised as.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:04 PM

Thank you, Bo.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:43 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Is the school capped? I'm still not sure what's going on....there's no applications to regular public schools here. If they are not capped they have to take you, unless as Bo noted you are looking for a specific track.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoncat View Post
alternate elementary school.
Should be the only think you can find in the near future, with Education Sec Voss in office.

(Settle down y'all, it was just a joke. Play on the "alternative facts" huplah.)

Old 06-26-2017, 11:06 AM

332 posts, read 398,163 times
Yes you are stuck in your base school. It is very confusing. You really need to look into how the system works out here before you settle on where you are living. The base schools here vary greatly which is why we looked in Cary even though Raleigh is probably a better fit for my wife and my personality.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:45 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoncat View Post
I moved to Raleigh in June and am trying to figure out the school system. I want to apply to a year-round school (which is not our base school), but the website says they are not accepting applications. Does this hold true even for new residents? Do we have to attend the base school for a year and then cross our fingers that we'll get into the year-round school the next year? This is very confusing.
Go to your assigned base school and ask them. You will have to register at that school anyway to register for the school system. As you can see, you will get various answers from various people because it's that confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary