Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:22 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

"Tinderbox!"

And... "Impact Fees and Overpaid Yuppies!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:20 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
CapitalBlvd can, and I'm sure soon will, tell you all about it.
It's been almost 4 hours now with no sign of him. Maybe he got stuck on one of our horrible interstates filled with horrible commuters taking their kids to our terrible schools.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:37 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
We need to seriously jack up our impact fees for developers and be vigilant about zoning.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:40 PM

46 posts, read 50,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
What do you mean by overcrowded? Raleigh's population density is quite low for a metropolitan area. Even the more dense downtown is not all that dense. Like a lot of southern cities without natural boundaries, the area has sprawl, which creates it's own issues (especially with traffic).
My family is from long island where you can't go anywhere without sitting in traffic not too mention the terrible commutes. We have started to visit and seriously look at alternatives and our in-laws have property in Chapel Hill, but we have heard (well mainly read) that The triangle area has begun to experience some of the same problems, (traffic, longer commutes etc) that we face up here.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmacNY View Post
My family is from long island where you can't go anywhere without sitting in traffic not too mention the terrible commutes. We have started to visit and seriously look at alternatives and our in-laws have property in Chapel Hill, but we have heard (well mainly read) that The triangle area has begun to experience some of the same problems, (traffic, longer commutes etc) that we face up here.
Triangle congestion has a LONG way to go before it can be legitimately mentioned in a comparison with Long Island. Let us catch up with Atlanta first.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmacNY View Post
I really can't remember the last time I sat in traffic when it wasn't rush hour or during something unusual (like a marathon closing streets or a big construction project). Even at rush hour, there are areas that are congested and areas that are not.

If you choose to live far from your job and have to work hours that put you on the road during rush hour, it can be frustrating. One of the things I've seen over and over through the years is people moving say a 30 minute commute away to a then quiet, "country" area where they can get more house/yard and then 5-10 years later they area they are in is grown up and they've got a much longer and frustrating commute.

The really congested peak of rush hour here really is more like an hour or so. It is not like, say, NoVa where the rush hour is 5-6 hours long.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:52 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
One of the great things about Raleigh is you do not have to live far away to have nice affordable housing and a reasonable 45 minute commute.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:02 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
One of the great things about Raleigh is you do not have to live far away to have nice affordable housing and a reasonable 45 minute commute.
well that is until the area with the nice affordable housing fills up and then prices go up due to increased demand and you have to move farther out to find the same thing that you were previously looking for, which leads to longer drives, which leads to more traffic and a longer commute.

It's the same story in every US city - we're just in the early stages of it.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
I left Raleigh-Durham 7 yrs ago and I long for the days when I could drive 25 miles in 30 min. In Philadelphia, it can sometimes take that long to drive 6 miles depending where you are going. It's very geographically limiting here and the highway system is at least 25 yrs behind the times. Grass is always greener. It will never be as bad as the NE. Raleigh itself is nicely set up with lots of wide roads going N/S and E/W. Now the drivers there are another story.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Just spent the past week+ commuting to my corporate HQ in Boston. Not even close. At all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary