Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times

Advertisements

Find the biggest dog bowl and biggest dog bone you can find. Get one of those "I love my Doberman" or "I love my German Shepard" signs on your front door. Write "Cujo" on your dog bowl. Nobody will mess with your house... promise

Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
My friend had a 210lb great dane. Not for security purposes, but boy did he provide a deterrent. His bark was so loud it rumbled. The regular UPS driver was used to him but the substitute drivers were too afraid to come all the way to the door. You could walk this big boy in any neighborhood, even sketchy ones; no one would ever bother you. LOL.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:12 PM

332 posts, read 397,909 times
Unfortunately dogs aren't enough. We just moved from a much larger city where a group of kids were robbing homes again and again for a ringleader who was an adult. Every time they were caught they were just released again because they were minors, this went on for a few years until they aged out. If a house had a dog they would open the fridge and dump all the food on to the floor to keep them busy. I suggest reporting people that look suspicious to the non emergency police number. I know I stopped a potential robbery in our hood this way. Unfortunately it's pretty easy for these punks to break in to a home and go unnoticed during the day.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:09 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
I wonder how much you can fortify your windows and doors, and if that would help. You know like, steel doors, and film over the windows, which makes them harder to break. I have one of those door jammer bars on my door to my apartment
I had a home safety assessment, the town of Cary does them, so does Morrisville. The officer mentioned there is a film you can put over sidelights or French doors that will slow down a robbery by holding the glass in place. He also mentioned, you can also get larger security strike plates for your doors. For windows the officer suggested 3/4 inch PVC pipes put in the tracks to act as an additional lock.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:19 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
I have window film on all windows and doors. It should give you a minute to react if someone is trying to break a window to get in. Caveat is that glass break sensors for alarms may not work since the break frequency is muted to some extent.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:32 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
A good jammer for a sliding door is an old broom handle or dowel laid in the track. Impossible to move from outside.
But I've always wondered how secure a house can actually be? All the glass and doors and hell, the walls aren't that substantial.
"Second story man"

Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
CPI man rang the doorbell a few weeks ago, but my dog scared him off before I could get to the door

Old 06-30-2017, 08:43 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
If someone is determined to break into your home there's only so much you can do to stop it. The important thing is making your home more of a P.I.A. and a deterrent in the hopes of the burglar finding a different target and bypassing your home. Unless you're willing to pay for or otherwise get armed guards to stand at every entry point at your house 24/7....

Old 06-30-2017, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 7,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
A good jammer for a sliding door is an old broom handle or dowel laid in the track. Impossible to move from outside. But I've always wondered how secure a house can actually be? All the glass and doors and hell, the walls aren't that substantial. "Second story man"
There is physical security (which as your question suggests, can always be breached with some combination of time, effort or skill). But in all but the most secluded properties, noise is a big problem for a burglar and he'd like to avoid it, so if you have an alarm sounding (even for a few seconds) it will be enough to make them flee even if they kick the door in, pick the lock, break a window or whatever else. It is their worst case scenario to have a loud alarm going off and knowing (or even wondering) if the police are already on their way before they even get started searching for loot.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:45 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
since i prefer deterrence over detection, these 3 things worked for me:
1. dog. tell delivery/service personnel you have multiple dogs even if you don't.
2. limit interior access. neighbor was burglarized 4 days after TWC/Spectrum install.
3. outside radio tuned to talk station. low volume. leave it on all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary