Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 09:29 AM

270 posts, read 378,279 times

Advertisements

We spent the last week on the phone with Frontier trying to get my Mother's landline fixed. I was on the phone with them everyday and wasted so much time with them scheduling appointments only to have no-shows, and each time I called back they said her appointment wasn't for the time they said the appointment was for anyway... AAAAAGGGHHHHH.
It's hard for my Mom to get to the door so she was stressed everyday, for hours, waiting for the tech to show up that never did. I felt awful for her.
(I don't hate a lot of things in life but I HATE Frontier!)
There, I feel a wee bit better.

I think I already know the answer, but is there some other secret company that would service 27587 that we can't find? She has a medical alert so we need a reliable landline.

Thank-you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:44 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,649,773 times
Medical alerts no longer require a landlines. You can do this with cellular now. And a few security systems can provide it.

What I think Frontier is giving you is not a hard wired land line. I think it's actually VOIP service, meaning it's going thru the Internet. If i'm correct, any Internet provider can give you this service. Or you can buy the hardware for Ooma ($100- $125 from Amazon), port (transger her phone number ($10 maybe) and she will only pay the taxes on all her future phone bills (less than $5 per month).

We needed a landlines for hard of hearing DH and did the Ooma set up four years ago. Maybe it drops a few more calls, but not many. We're quite happy with that arrangement and it's Avedon us a lot of money.

Thanks for helping your mother.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:19 PM

494 posts, read 813,444 times
My landline is with Windstream. It was my only option but some areas of WF are serviced with Century Link.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:59 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,057,888 times
This can get confusing for sure. If you are in WF in a legacy GTE/Verizon now Frontier service area (essentially part of their larger Durham/RTP territory) then you most likely have traditional POTS landline service. The vast majority of the time you have one choice for normal landline service (not VoIP).

A bit of a generalization but a traditional POTS landline will tend to be better in times of duress (i..e power outages) as the phone is normally powered by the copper wire pair in the "network", not your local AC power as most VoIP lines are (you can add UPS with battery backup for local power).

If you have solid cellular service at the location that is a pretty good option too.

I tend to shy away from using the least reliable communications method for folks with a potentially higher need for emergency services.

All that said, my mom has an emergency alert button that works over her Charter (legacy TW) VoIP service in Raleigh. Her risks are mitigated in a number of other ways (UPS backup, cell phone, Independent living facility, reliable power in a location near Wake Med North).

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary