Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
The financial aspect is a big draw, for sure. But I feel that, to be happy in the long term, you need more than affordability to draw you to move. That will only last a little while until you get used to it.

Truth. The people who move here and are the unhappiest are the ones who expect the move to solve all their problems, and in general people like that don't even know what their problems are.

Fact: coming from NY/NJ it is going to be a lot cheaper to live here....but the biggest savings is property taxes, so if you aren't paying those yet, you aren't going to feel it as much.

Fact: if you spend more than you make in NJ, you're not going to change just because you move out of NJ.

Fact: "I heard".....is not a good way to go about the relocation process. You should do some extensive research and then come here with specific questions.

As others have said, please read the sticky at the top of this forum and then you'll be ready with those questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 09:23 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Fact: We moved here from Mesa, AZ and our property tax more than doubled. Alcohol amd groceries are considerably more expensive. Happy Hour is illegal, which is the main thing that passes me off, along with the stupid ABC store thing.

It's all a matter of perception and priorities.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:29 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Plus unlike there you can use the beaches here......

What does that mean? I just spent a week at the Jersey Shore. You can most certainly use the beaches in New Jersey. And they have some amazing beach "shore" towns.

OP,

You will almost definitely find housing, property taxes, and car insurance cheaper in NC than in NJ. Some things may be more expensive. Will you salary be lower? Possibly. Maybe not. And there will be some things you cannot do here that you can do in New Jersey. Only you can make the call whether what you gain will be better than what you lose by moving. But I do agree that spending time here and visiting often will be your best bet to get "a feel" whether you think you could make North Carolina your home. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
^^They are referring to Chris Christie's budget standoff which closed beaches this weekend. They just reopened today.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:39 AM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
There is nothing like Shop Rite down here expect to pay more for food and it is state taxable. You will get more house for your money and the property taxes on balance are way cheaper. Car insurance was substantially cheaper car registration will be considerably more if you have a late model and the first year expect to get rapped for close to $700 to retitle your car.
I moved from Western Monmouth County Manalapan to be exact and I like it down here. If you want you can basically replicate your NJ experience down here if that is what you want sans NYC.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:52 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Fact: We moved here from Mesa, AZ and our property tax more than doubled.
Was the value of the house the same ? The tax rates in Wake and Mariposa counties don't appear to be too different.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:59 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
^^They are referring to Chris Christie's budget standoff which closed beaches this weekend. They just reopened today.
I knew someone was paying attention.....
Perhaps a too time-bound humor attempt

Old 07-04-2017, 11:03 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Fact: We moved here from Mesa, AZ and our property tax more than doubled. Alcohol amd groceries are considerably more expensive. Happy Hour is illegal, which is the main thing that passes me off, along with the stupid ABC store thing.

It's all a matter of perception and priorities.
I had to look up what you meant. I found lots of references for happy hours in Raleigh businesses, so I'm not sure what you mean about it being illegal. But it looks like the only place to buy liquor is an ABC store, is that right?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:15 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I had to look up what you meant. I found lots of references for happy hours in Raleigh businesses, so I'm not sure what you mean about it being illegal. But it looks like the only place to buy liquor is an ABC store, is that right?
I think - but am not positive - that you can't have drink specials or "ladies drink free" type of promotions at happy hour.

Yes, you can only buy liquor at the ABC store. I'm sure this was a huge adjustment from AZ where you can buy it in the grocery store (huge shock for this NYer on vacation there!)

Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Aah, yes, I wasn't thinking of that. What a jerk Christie is. In that vein, OP, you'll be trading some idiot NJ politicians for some idiot NC politicians. But at least in NJ, Christie's term ends in 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary