Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:13 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times

Advertisements

I like it a lot! I don't like the bathroom vanities, but everything else was just beautiful in my opinion. Vintage looking on the outside and beautifully updated on the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 03:36 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
I saw that show up in the listings a few days ago - live less than a mile from it, and I've never come close to noticing it. Definitely not the character of the 'hood, a neat house!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I can't tell if that house is trying to be vintage or modern
Yes. i am by no means a decorating expert but this is so discordant is really bugs me. You cannot just say "I like this, that and that, let's put it all together!" It just doesn't work.

There was a house down the street from me, a lovely craftsman that had not been maintained. New owners came in and tore it down and put up a house with every design element you can think of, and that was just the exterior. i will submit that you might even be able to get away with that on a large property but this was on about a 60x80 plot. It was really hard to look at.

There was another house in my town, a true Victorian from the late 1800s, people kept the exterior the way it was but went in and turned the interior into a post modern monstrosity. I don't get why you'd do that.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:49 PM

47 posts, read 52,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Unfortunate location on the corner of Tryon Road though. It has a lot of land, but that would take it out of the running for a lot of people, I think.
This, and also creatively styled home means no HOA, and thus no motivation for neighbors to share the same creative vision. Look at the property right next to it on Tryon from satellite view, debris everywhere like someone is running a sawmill and car restoration business out of their backyard. Then you have the guy with the red truck across the street, parking in the road. The home is cute but to me, surroundings matter too.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 PM

385 posts, read 348,167 times
I like it a lot. I like the arts and crafts style houses in Scotts Mill as well. Seems high but it's a big lot. Got to say though I am over large wooden decks.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
I think the interior floorplan may be an issue, too. I don't think they did a good job with the pictures at all. Each room is so zoomed-in you can't see which rooms are connected to each other. Looks like a collection of individual rooms and these days people want an open concept and it doesn't appear this house has that.

So that, plus a terrible location makes it seem pretty over-priced to me. Awesome looking on the outside, though. I like that part of it...

Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes. i am by no means a decorating expert but this is so discordant is really bugs me. You cannot just say "I like this, that and that, let's put it all together!" It just doesn't work.

There was a house down the street from me, a lovely craftsman that had not been maintained. New owners came in and tore it down and put up a house with every design element you can think of, and that was just the exterior. i will submit that you might even be able to get away with that on a large property but this was on about a 60x80 plot. It was really hard to look at.

There was another house in my town, a true Victorian from the late 1800s, people kept the exterior the way it was but went in and turned the interior into a post modern monstrosity. I don't get why you'd do that.

There's a Queen Anne Victorian in my neighborhood and they painted it purple. Like, Barney the dinosaur purple. It was hideous, and I felt embarrassed for the house.

I don't know what changed, but years later they painted it a deep hunter green and now it's stunning. People slow down and stop to look at it. It's still terribly out of place in my neighborhood not because of the lack of an HOA but most of the other houses were mass produced at the same time, and they're all very similar.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL1 View Post
This, and also creatively styled home means no HOA, and thus no motivation for neighbors to share the same creative vision. Look at the property right next to it on Tryon from satellite view, debris everywhere like someone is running a sawmill and car restoration business out of their backyard. Then you have the guy with the red truck across the street, parking in the road. The home is cute but to me, surroundings matter too.
I know a lot of people on this forum see value in being able to expect a certain style from their neighbors, but I really don't. I think if the HOA is keeping people from leaving garbage out on the street, grass from getting a foot high, parking abandoned vehicles / boats / RVs in the street, etc that's good enough for me. I grew up in a town that had tens of thousands of houses all built in the same period of time with only two styles of home. When it's done like that, I think it's restrictive. There's a market for it, and buyers that would eat it up, but we want something different.

I mentioned in a previous post, there's a house a block away from me that doesn't "fit" in the neighborhood at all. But it's beautiful. Then there's a house almost within view of mine that has gutters falling off of it, dead trees snapped in half from past storms but never removed, leaves and garbage permanently along the curb... That bothers me more. It looks awful, and anyone coming to my house passes this one. Their only saving grace is they let the poison ivy and vegetation along the road grow so thick that you don't notice it as much in the summer.

I supposed if someone was allowed to build a huge monstrosity right up to the property lines that towered over everything else, I'd have an issue. But I see more value in diversity, for our tastes.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:53 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I think the interior floorplan may be an issue, too. I don't think they did a good job with the pictures at all. Each room is so zoomed-in you can't see which rooms are connected to each other. Looks like a collection of individual rooms and these days people want an open concept and it doesn't appear this house has that.

So that, plus a terrible location makes it seem pretty over-priced to me. Awesome looking on the outside, though. I like that part of it...
Actually, people are starting to swing back to favoring clearly defined rooms. The "open concept" trend has been done so much (and done poorly in a lot of cases) and many people no longer want their kitchen to be a part of their living room.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:26 AM

47 posts, read 52,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I know a lot of people on this forum see value in being able to expect a certain style from their neighbors, but I really don't. I think if the HOA is keeping people from leaving garbage out on the street, grass from getting a foot high, parking abandoned vehicles / boats / RVs in the street, etc that's good enough for me. I grew up in a town that had tens of thousands of houses all built in the same period of time with only two styles of home. When it's done like that, I think it's restrictive. There's a market for it, and buyers that would eat it up, but we want something different.

I mentioned in a previous post, there's a house a block away from me that doesn't "fit" in the neighborhood at all. But it's beautiful. Then there's a house almost within view of mine that has gutters falling off of it, dead trees snapped in half from past storms but never removed, leaves and garbage permanently along the curb... That bothers me more. It looks awful, and anyone coming to my house passes this one. Their only saving grace is they let the poison ivy and vegetation along the road grow so thick that you don't notice it as much in the summer.

I supposed if someone was allowed to build a huge monstrosity right up to the property lines that towered over everything else, I'd have an issue. But I see more value in diversity, for our tastes.
The problem is that without a HOA, the definition of "diversity" and "creative style" leave too much to the imagination. A neighborhood could go decades without it being a problem, then suddenly a wealthy eccentric moves in and decides to leave their mark on the neighborhood -- I've seen this very thing happen and it can be devastating to the property values of the homes around it.

Imagine if homes in a neighborhood start going up without architectural rules, and the first 20 home builders go with variations of different time periods in American architecture, something like the home in the original photo, but with nothing written in stone to guide or limit them.

Then someone comes in and decides a home should be an expression of them, their chance to show the world how wonderfully creative they are, and their magnum opus toward reconciliation of the lack of attention they received as a child. So they build something like the images below. Sit back and watch home sales prices sink. Those weird homes might work well in a neighborhood where all homes are built by nutcases, but most people who want a weird home want it to be their own vision of weird and not someone elses, so property values still would tend to suffer.

That's what I was referring to when I talked about the risk of future neighbors possibly not sharing your creative vision.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary