Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peechykeeny View Post
I think some days are definitely heavier than others. We're not married to any dinner plans and would be just as happy grabbing a pizza and going back to the hotel if time gets tight, or kids start to lose it. I just dont want to miss an opportunity to showcase what the area has to offer compared to what is available to us at home. I'd rather be over scheduled and decide what can be dropped (like the Duke gardens or a lunch spot) than have to scramble to find something to do if that makes sense. You should see my rainy day back up schedule!!

If you think it's doable, i can hustle and make it work!!
I think Duke Gardens will be easier than the kids’ museums, weather allowing.

I would limit kid activities, as they are a massive time sink.

Go for the walks, see the sights, check out the downtowns and restaurants, and definitely see a few open houses so you’ll know what your housing budget might allow.

Just my 2 cents. The museums can take HOURS.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:21 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Great idea, thanks! I think I'm underestimating the size of the market.
The Farmers Market certainly isn't huge, but it has a good restaurant for breakfast on site, so you might as well go there. No sense in going a half hour out of the way for biscuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 01:27 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I'm exhausted just reading this.

I wouldn't worry too much about showcasing the area to your 3 year old. S/he won't even remember the trip. I also wouldn't worry too much about downtime....this area is pretty spread out and there's a lot of driving involved here. There are plenty of parks around if the kids need to run around.

There's a Rise in Morrsiville (and frankly going to HS is not worth the trip - it's ok, not so fabulous it's worth the extra miles).

Where are you staying?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:58 PM

20 posts, read 33,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The Farmers Market certainly isn't huge, but it has a good restaurant for breakfast on site, so you might as well go there. No sense in going a half hour out of the way for biscuits.
Makes sense. Do you know the name of the restaurant off hand?

Old 07-07-2017, 02:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Marbles alone exhausts me for days. I hate that place

Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 PM

311 posts, read 887,919 times
Quote:
Makes sense. Do you know the name of the restaurant off hand?
State Farmer's Market Restaurant Raleigh - Great Southern Cooking State Farmers Market Restaurant

Old 07-07-2017, 02:07 PM

I see what you mean. The thought process behind the kids stuff is more along this: There is not much to offer kids here without have a difficult/traffic ridden drive or expensive fees whether from admission and/or parking, or having to go into the city for a good museum. While some of these are in the city, dealing with NYC is a different beast that I'd like to avoid. We're definitely going to have to keep an eye on time if we want to fit it all in but we're ok if some dinner plans get bumped and it turns out we just need to grab a quick bit. Although, I'd definitely prefer to experience the food scene.

We're staying at a Homewood in Durham.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:07 PM

205 posts, read 182,665 times
Honestly you have more packed into that schedule than Ive done in the 12 years Ive lived in the Triangle! With kids, that's even more impressive.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_NC View Post
awesome, thanks!

Old 07-07-2017, 02:10 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
I see what you mean. The thought process behind the kids stuff is more along this: There is not much to offer kids here without have a difficult/traffic ridden drive or expensive fees whether from admission and/or parking, or having to go into the city for a good museum. While some of these are in the city, dealing with NYC is a different beast that I'd like to avoid. We're definitely going to have to keep an eye on time if we want to fit it all in but we're ok if some dinner plans get bumped and it turns out we just need to grab a quick bit. Although, I'd definitely prefer to experience the food scene.

We're staying at a Homewood in Durham.
I actually think you're smart to have the kid activities sprinkled throughout your trip. You've got good opportunities for kiddo to burn off some energy during what would otherwise be a very boring, tedious trip for him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary