Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times

Advertisements

I think what you're looking for is a "villa" type house. It's typically 1 story (but not always) and might be attached by one wall to the structure next door. There's usually a back deck and/or very small yard type area and you can sometimes opt to have an enclosed back deck. In this area "townhouse" usually means 2 or 3 story homes attached to a group of 3 to 5 other 2 to 3 story homes. They'll have at least 1 deck, sometimes more, but no private yard per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 11:11 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That might work if the OP wants a 55+ Active Adult community.
If so, that opens up Creekside at Bethpage, Carolina Arbors, and several more.
I thought it was an old people community but with the refined requirements yet wanting a townhouse with some spaciousness it seems like the villa concept fits

Old 07-23-2017, 02:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
The problem is, the Cheswick Townhome community doesn't offer large decks. It appears that the builder offers the option of a small backyard space OR an attached garage (not both). I created this thread to express my opinion(s) about Raleigh builders overlooking the needs of prospective townhome buyers at the 400K price point. Most prospective buyers at this price-point prefer to have an attached garage AND outdoor space.
If MOST buyers wanted it, these would not sell and builders would try another tactic (reduced prices, etc).

Old 07-23-2017, 05:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Most prospective buyers at this price-point prefer to have an attached garage AND outdoor space.
just because it's such a glaring statement - how do you know this is what MOST buyers want?

We can find you garage, first floor master (if you want it), and some small backyard space if you want it, for your $450K or less budget.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
just because it's such a glaring statement - how do you know this is what MOST buyers want?

We can find you garage, first floor master (if you want it), and some small backyard space if you want it, for your $450K or less budget.
But, it won't be in a new townhouse in a prime location.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Just because townhomes without yards sell quickly that does not mean that there is no market for something a little different. IF a builder were to offer towns with small yards there would be a bunch of people who might want them IF they knew about them. The situation is simply that if the developer is going to have to give up impervious surface to decks, walkways, and patios he will not be maxing out his potential profit.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:29 PM

4,548 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:
The problem is, the Cheswick Townhome community doesn't offer large decks. It appears that the builder offers the option of a small backyard space OR an attached garage (not both). I created this thread to express my opinion(s) about Raleigh builders overlooking the needs of prospective townhome buyers at the 400K price point. Most prospective buyers at this price-point prefer to have an attached garage AND outdoor space.

Listen, my in-laws think the same way as you - they expect everything at a 400k price point for a townhouse. They are coming from a rural NJ town that has no growth and probably negative GDP and think 400k should get you a huge townhouse with a big yard and definitely a 2 car garage. They just don't understand that this area is high growth and there's tons of competition.

If you want those specific things, you need to look into a single family home where you have more control over yard space and garage space. Are you coming from the northeast? Do you know how this market is? You aren't moving to some sleepy place where you have a lot of control on what you want.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:28 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just because townhomes without yards sell quickly that does not mean that there is no market for something a little different. IF a builder were to offer towns with small yards there would be a bunch of people who might want them IF they knew about them. The situation is simply that if the developer is going to have to give up impervious surface to decks, walkways, and patios he will not be maxing out his potential profit.
Why would a builder cut profits to offer something to a niche market?
Charity?
There are plenty of charitable opportunities for businesses that work hard to max their profits.

The poster said "most."
I think that begs for proof.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
And, since they sell fine with the builder taking max profit, what is the incentive to change? I mean, plenty of buyers would love a half acre lot with a 5 bedroom/4.5 bath house with a high-level trim package, an outdoor spa and kitchen for outdoor enjoyment and a 4-car garage with workshop for 300k over in Five Points, but that ain’t happening either.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:14 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Townhouses were not very popular for years here because the owners are stuck with maintenance and are in a glorified apartment with many of the issues of multi-family living.

Now, people are coming who either are used to townhouse living or are looking for a lower price than an SFH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary