Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Wait till people who are rearranging their lives for the SPECTACLE of TOTALITY find out that it lasts only 2:40 tops. I'll take the 90% over an hour or so from the comfort of my yard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:58 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
The difference between even 99.99999% and 100% is literally night and day. Anything less than 100% totality and you cannot look without proper eye protection. It will still be hundreds of times brighter than in total eclipse. You will NOT get the corona, you will NOT see "Baily's beads," you will NOT have almost any of the phenomena related to eclipses.

Spoke to a few eclipse chasers and they put it this way to me. "It's like going to the Super Bowl but watching from the parking lot" or "You get 5 out of 6 numbers the lottery."

So yes, you may be able to see the shadow of the moon crossing the sun with correct glasses but you will not have the life changing experience that EVERY person I have spoken to that been in totality speaks of.

Got copy/paste figured out, I see?

You already said all that.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Buyer beware!

(That is to say, you can still get them (eclipse glasses) through Amazon ... just be sure that they're from one of the four NASA-approved companies)
Not exactly. Be sure the eclipse glasses meet the relatively new ISO safety standard, ISO 12312-2 (sometimes written as ISO 12312-2:2015).

Here is a reference from AAS, the American Astronomical Society: https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso-certification

Old 07-22-2017, 06:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wait till people who are rearranging their lives for the SPECTACLE of TOTALITY find out that it lasts only 2:40 tops. I'll take the 90% over an hour or so from the comfort of my yard!
I hope more people think like you so I don't have to deal with bad traffic on the road. I don't think the partial you can see in Raleigh will be anything like totality, but I figure it's a once in a lifetime event for me I might as well go in 100%.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Conversely, it shows our kids that it is important to take time out to see the wonders of the universe. If spending time in the mountains to see this is a rearrangement of life....hell, that's an arrangement I can deal with! Especially since it is so close to us.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
I went to Morehead Planetarium earlier this afternoon to get my eclipse glasses and decided to go to one of the shows that was playing there - ironically they devoted the first part of the show to talking about the eclipse event coming on. The guy giving the show explained that while we're getting a 93% eclipse event here, the 7% of the sun remaining is still so bright that it won't be 93% of an eclipse event - you really won't feel the difference other than it might feel like it's getting a little overcast and your eyes will adjust to it pretty well that you won't tell the difference (vs. complete darkness for 2:40 if you are in the path of totality). Probably still cool to get to observe the moon passing over the sun if you do stay here. If you stick around until 2075 (?) that will be the next time a total eclipse path of totality will pass over the Triangle.

He also comedically said that the last time there was a solar eclipse in the US, the majority of the eye injuries as a result of people looking at the sun without glasses were by males under 20 years old (they recovered their eyesight months later which would suck) so if you have kids........if they listen

Last edited by pierretong1991; 07-22-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Conversely, it shows our kids that it is important to take time out to see the wonders of the universe. If spending time in the mountains to see this is a rearrangement of life....hell, that's an arrangement I can deal with! Especially since it is so close to us.
Hope no one has to pee in that 2.5 minutes window

J/K I truly hope everyone who makes special arrangements gets to see it, the weather cooperates and the roads are not too horrendous. If I'm here for the next one I'll be on the news for world's oldest lady but my kids have a shot at it - they'll be 75 and 72.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
These are the ones that I bought last month from Amazon and they are the correct glasses per NASA guidelines.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were less expensive back in June. I assume pricing will continue to go up.
I got these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPT2LL3

The article says the glasses "should have ISO 12312-2 printed on them." I think that would be excessive as the document is 11 pages. Having words to the effect "meets ISO 12312-2" should suffice.
These do have the "conforms to" statement, but then again, there is no guarantee. I have gone outside and looked at the sun and I can still see.** The image is disappointingly tiny, about the size of the full Moon. (duh?) If you have big bucks go for binoculars. I bought a filter for my 35:1 zoom camera in hopes I can get pictures.

** "YMMV"

Old 07-22-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I'm planning on using my hand held welders shield.
In my research I found typical welder's shields are #4 and may not block UV. Go outside next day light and test them.
"Be prepared to blink or go blind"

Old 07-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You will not be able to tell when it happens from your back yard. Do get glasses, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary