Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 AM

28 posts, read 24,530 times

Advertisements

How is North Raleigh in terms of rental prices, safety, amenities? I see a few posts of people suggesting this area as an alternative to Cary, Morrisville, Holly Springs? Is there any zip codes I should check out and some to avoid? The commute isn’t an issue.

Still searching for apartments, homes, townhomes, and have come to realize that Cary can be limited in terms of cheap rent and pet-friendly options. You may have seen my prior posts but just to reference, I am looking for a 1 bedroom (can do a 2 if it’s cheap enough) and that they accept 3 cats (senior, all neutered etc...). Most places have a 2 pet restriction and with pet rent plus water, trash removal etc..

Rent seems to jump to about to 1100+ easily for a 1-bedroom apartment. For that, I’d rather rent a house between 1000-1200 and pay a good pet deposit. I was honestly looking for a 1 bedroom between 800-1000 that included pet rent, water, and trash removal. Mainly because prices will go up every year and that point, it will eventually be no different from Miami prices.

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good real estate agency that I can call? I’m thinking that this might be more helpful in finding a place. I am currently using hotpads, padmapper, Zillow, realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:09 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Why would a real estate agency help more than the resources you are looking at? It seems that the places you're looking at are about par for the area. The number of pets is really a factor in limiting the number of choices you have.....

Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,137 times
Huntington ridge apartments in north Raleigh. Very safe location, great prices, dog park, very clean. I have friends who rent there.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I live in North Raleigh and in general find the area of North Raleigh bounded by 70 and Leesville Rd on the west side and Litchfrod Road on the East side to have be a great place to live in terms of nearby amenities and overall quality of life.

I can't speak to rents as I am not sure what the going rates are. I know there is a 1,400 sqft 3 bed 2.5 bath SFH in our neighborhood listed as a rental for $1,395 a month....but I think it may be overpriced (and it has been empty for a while now so I guess the market agrees the rent is too high).

Old 07-19-2017, 11:57 AM

28 posts, read 24,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Why would a real estate agency help more than the resources you are looking at? It seems that the places you're looking at are about par for the area. The number of pets is really a factor in limiting the number of choices you have.....
In Miami, there is the option of using an agency for rentals not listed anywhere else, usually private owners. I'm not sure if Raleigh has the same thing.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:32 PM

326 posts, read 384,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielscars View Post
In Miami, there is the option of using an agency for rentals not listed anywhere else, usually private owners. I'm not sure if Raleigh has the same thing.
Unfortunately, real estate agencies here aren't heavily involved in the rental market--there's just no money in it for them. I think you're probably already looking in the best places, though other posters may have an additional suggestion or two for you on who may be able to help with your search. Best of luck!

Old 07-19-2017, 01:35 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
not really a thing here - it's more common in larger cities but I'm not really aware of this option being really popular around here.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
https://www.mayfaireapts.com/raleigh...re-apartments/

Under $1000 a month, they have a $500 off first month's rent deal right now. i'm not sure about how many cats are allowed so contact them about the pet policy. Excellent reviews on apartmentratings.com. I viewed units there and the grounds and really liked it. Safe, clean. It's just a very small complex so availability might be somewhat limited. It's also next door to a popular veterinarian, Sola coffee, Gonza tacos, and a 2 Roosters ice cream location just opened there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Huntington ridge apartments in north Raleigh. Very safe location, great prices, dog park, very clean. I have friends who rent there.

Do you mean Hunting Ridge? We were considering them too but there were too many incidents in the complex on SpotCrime over a short period of time (one of them an aggravated assault) so we took them off the list. The buildings are a little older but they're definitely affordable. You get a lot for your money.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,087 times
As a north Raleigh resident, I can highly recommend the area. When I first came to Raleigh, I lived in west Raleigh on the Cary border when Cary was quite undeveloped. Cary/Apex grew so much so fast that the planning and municipality infrastructure couldn't keep up. North Raleigh does have the benefit of what has been longer, steadier growth over time. So the roads and amenities have grown in proportion.

Its going to be tough finding too many inexpensive rental options these days. Developers are turning up dirt every place they can find it for new apartments for rent and condos. So one of your good bets might be to find older, more established rental communities which have been upgraded. These can't command the new construction rental rates (like in regular real estate) like the newer, fancier places. North Ridge apartments on Falls of the Neuse is a good example: I believe its still a Drucker and Falk property that is quite old and looks it from the outside, yet is quite nice and updated interiorly. Great value at a place like that.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:
Rentals in the area pay $50-$100 on average so it's not really worth an agents time. The rest of the county one months rent is split between agents typically. There are some agents out there that will help you find a rental, but keep in mind they are not making much. If you buy in the future it would be good to use the agent that helps you, and try to refer business to them as well. So many people have no idea how important referrals are to sales people. If they do a good job refer them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary