Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 06:46 PM

378 posts, read 418,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I can see why they'd be slightly annoyed. All three alternatives through that area of 440 would take out a good chunk of their commuter parking. It might be time for them to level up and build a parking deck on part of their campus and consolidate commuter, staff, and resident parking.

Here's another good link w/ a live feed to tonights meeting:
Proposed project to widen I-440 could shrink Meredith College campus :: WRAL.com

Here's are links to the three alternatives for that section:
Two flyovers is not really needed for Wade Avenue. Since they are gonna reconstruct the existing I-440 I-40 US 1 cloverleaf to a 3 or 4 level stack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 06:58 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Two flyovers is not really needed for Wade Avenue. Since they are gonna reconstruct the existing I-440 I-40 US 1 cloverleaf to a 3 or 4 level stack.
I don't really see how you can draw that conclusion.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:28 PM

378 posts, read 418,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I don't really see how you can draw that conclusion.
I found out what they were doing when I saw this project lol.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2015.pdf

Old 10-01-2017, 08:18 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
I found out what they were doing when I saw this project lol.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2015.pdf
A feasibility study is not a final design - it's just a preliminary concept of what could work. (Just a disclaimer)

Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
A feasibility study is not a final design - it's just a preliminary concept of what could work. (Just a disclaimer)
Plus, I fail to see how what they do at the 40/1 interchange in cary would eliminate the need to do something a few miles away. There are many, many people that come from North raleigh, midtown, capital Blvd areas and beyond, that then get off at Wade. They wouldn’t suddenly go to crossroads instead.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Plus, I fail to see how what they do at the 40/1 interchange in cary would eliminate the need to do something a few miles away. There are many, many people that come from North raleigh, midtown, capital Blvd areas and beyond, that then get off at Wade. They wouldn’t suddenly go to crossroads instead.
The movement from eastbound Wade towards Glenwood/Capital/North Raleigh on 440 does have a flyover in the 'single flyover' and 'slight detour' options. The movement you mention doesn't really need a flyover since there's nothing that needs to be crossed over there. The one that gets the extra flyover in the 'two flyovers' plan is the one where you're headed from Cary along 440 and then turn west onto Wade Avenue toward RTP.

Personally, I do kind of like the two flyover option, the cost estimates were practically the same as for the plans with one flyover, and hey, I could drive on it without making my kids get carsick. But I don't think it makes THAT much difference.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:39 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
The movement from eastbound Wade towards Glenwood/Capital/North Raleigh on 440 does have a flyover in the 'single flyover' and 'slight detour' options. The movement you mention doesn't really need a flyover since there's nothing that needs to be crossed over there. The one that gets the extra flyover in the 'two flyovers' plan is the one where you're headed from Cary along 440 and then turn west onto Wade Avenue toward RTP.

Personally, I do kind of like the two flyover option, the cost estimates were practically the same as for the plans with one flyover, and hey, I could drive on it without making my kids get carsick. But I don't think it makes THAT much difference.
I know, I’m just saying that the design for 40 and US 1 in cary under some theoretical managed lanes thing they are just doing preliminary design on has nothing to do with what they are doing in the short term at the Wade/440 interchange several miles away.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:08 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,480,837 times
Total waste.

Rail transit is needed but legislators are too stupid to understand.

Years ago, train routes were laid out and then abandoned.

Trains and circulator buses are needed.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Total waste.

Even cities with excellent rail transit options still have to upgrade their interchanges to accommodate increases in traffic. Needing one does not preclude needing the other.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:31 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Total waste.

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-t...nduced-demand/

"You might think that increasing investment in public transit could ease this mess. Many railway and bus projects are sold on this basis, with politicians promising that traffic will decrease once ridership grows. But the data showed that even in cities that expanded public transit, road congestion stayed exactly the same. Add a new subway line and some drivers will switch to transit. But new drivers replace them. It’s the same effect as adding a new lane to the highway: congestion remains constant. (That’s not to say that public transit doesn’t do good, it also allows more people to move around. These projects just shouldn’t be hyped up as traffic decongestants, say Turner and Duranton.)"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary