Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 05:55 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I am not inclined to agree that the N&O is out of bounds.
They may not be out-of-bounds, but they definitely lean to the left. To be fair, a lot of that is from articles out of the NYT or AP that they republish.

Quote:
Besides, some people read the N&O for Section B and beyond.
On Mondays and Tuesdays, there is no "and beyond", as it only has two sections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
They may not be out-of-bounds, but they definitely lean to the left. To be fair, a lot of that is from articles out of the NYT or AP that they republish.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
On Mondays and Tuesdays, there is no "and beyond", as it only has two sections.
Yes, and the question is whether the N&O will continue as a daily. Some mainstream papers have gone to three or four issues per week. I wouldn't be surprised to see the N&O drop Monday, which is a very thin product.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:53 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Agreed.

Yes, and the question is whether the N&O will continue as a daily. Some mainstream papers have gone to three or four issues per week. I wouldn't be surprised to see the N&O drop Monday, which is a very thin product.
They need to return to 4 sections a day. Same for the Charlotte Observer. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution still has 4 main sections, although they doubled the price to $2.00. But I don't mind paying a bit more for a decent amount of content. The Charlotte paper is $1.50 for 2 thin sections, and that is not a good value. McClatchy needs to do better. The Charlotte and Raleigh papers were much better when they were Knight-Ridder. Very disappointing to see them decline. Somehow they need to improve their business model.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:58 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
AJC has twice the circulation of the N&O. That means higher ad rates, too (CPM). Charlotte was ex-Knight Ridder. Raleigh never was; the Daniels family sold it directly to McClatchy.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
N&O purchased all the small town newspapers around Raleigh. Now those papers are only advertising. Throw them out on street free. Now small tows have no local news. N&O only covers murders, etc in the small surrounding town. A sign of the time. Very bad in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Sorry to see Barry leaving, though I expect his future is brighter than that of the N&O.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:21 AM

41 posts, read 92,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Did you get a fair renewal price. If not, do not renew, wait about 2 months and subscribe through Discounted Newspapers. $130/year for 7 day subscription. Raleigh News & Observer Newspaper Subscription - Lowest prices on newspaper delivery
Was paying $133...was going to go to $195...new offer at $162.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:50 PM

The Charlotte Observer had a good Sunday paper with substantial content, and a good mix of national and local stories, as well as commentary features in the Insight section. There were about 4 sections for the A section, including the Insight, as well as Sports and Carolina Living. I don't mind paying $3.00 for decent content. I just wish they could go back to 4 sections during the week rather than just 2. My only complaint is they are not always including all of the Sunday add supplements like they are supposed to. The courier seems to grab 1 stack, but leaves out several others. The Macy's, Belk, and Best Buy adds are often missing, among others. Our local Greenville, SC paper always has them included. But I don't complain too much as I am just glad they still distribute the Charlotte paper down in Upstate SC where it is sold at Publix and a few other locations. They won't distribute the Atlanta paper or even the Columbia State paper anymore, which is ironically a sister McClatchy publication with good SC news and political coverage. But often SC stories from the State paper are reprinted in the Charlotte Observer, as well as NC news from the News and Observer.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:50 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,595,835 times
The News & Observer is still distributed even via home delivery to a very large portion of eastern NC, through Greenville all the way down to the coast. The State in Columbia pulled their out of market distribution down toward Florence and MB several years ago. It's now only available in a handful of midland counties.

I assume we have enough N&O subscribers down in this area to make it worthwhile but I still wonder how long it will last.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The News & Observer is still distributed even via home delivery to a very large portion of eastern NC, through Greenville all the way down to the coast. The State in Columbia pulled their out of market distribution down toward Florence and MB several years ago. It's now only available in a handful of midland counties.

I assume we have enough N&O subscribers down in this area to make it worthwhile but I still wonder how long it will last.
The Charlotte Observer also used to be distributed at Myrtle Beach and various coastal communities in NC and SC. Not sure if they still deliver to newsstands in these areas at the beach anymore. But they do still deliver in the mountains of NC including near Asheville as well as Upstate SC in Greenville-Spartanburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary