Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM

72 posts, read 90,947 times

Advertisements

My Amica homeowner's rate did go up a bit this year. Maybe 6%? I didn't call to inquire why because we had a claim from last January's ice storm (within five months of moving into the house). I assumed the two were connected, since our rates went up similarly when we were with Traveler's and had to file after a tornado destroyed our roof and other property. Both weather events affected a fair number of people.

FWIW: Having filed claims (between $6,000-$20,000) with three different insurance companies, I would go with Amica every time. They were really no BS when it came to payouts and advocating for our best interests. Also: We have terrible weather luck when it comes to our homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
FYI just got off the phone with Amica. They will send a consent to rate form if you hit the threshold for where it is required. I believe they said this is just within the past year they started doing it.

Also both my current insurance company and Amica confirmed that the increases in homeowners is due to claims from the hail storms. So I'd like to once again thank all the people replacing their end-of-lifed roofs due to some minor hail damage. You're welcome for my contribution to your new free roof.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So I'd like to once again thank all the people replacing their end-of-lifed roofs due to some minor hail damage. You're welcome for my contribution to your new free roof.
Keep in mind insurance adjusters prorate the payout of a new roof based on remaining life of existing roof.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Keep in mind insurance adjusters prorate the payout of a new roof based on remaining life of existing roof.
I've heard that's not true. That would make sense though right?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Going to revive this thread to mention that while I still have not received a CTR form from Amica, my homeowner's insurance premium is going up 15% this year after always being in the ~4% range since we switched over to them about 7 years ago. Asked them about it and they said it was due to increased damage claims in the southeast, which isn't totally surprising considering the weather events we've had around here.

May still shop around, but I'm reluctant to give up my non-CTR status, as it sounds like just about anybody I'd switch to would require it.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Going to revive this thread to mention that while I still have not received a CTR form from Amica, my homeowner's insurance premium is going up 15% this year after always being in the ~4% range since we switched over to them about 7 years ago. Asked them about it and they said it was due to increased damage claims in the southeast, which isn't totally surprising considering the weather events we've had around here.

May still shop around, but I'm reluctant to give up my non-CTR status, as it sounds like just about anybody I'd switch to would require it.
When I first started this thread I thought CTR was a big deal, but now I really think it's a non-factor. If you don't sign it you'll be dropped, and then you may end up paying more through another company.

They all do it - especially with all the storm claims (legit and not).

Old 12-03-2018, 12:14 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
When I first started this thread I thought CTR was a big deal, but now I really think it's a non-factor. If you don't sign it you'll be dropped, and then you may end up paying more through another company.

They all do it - especially with all the storm claims (legit and not).
Agree, it's not a very big deal (I thought it was too, when State Farm hit me with it a couple years ago). Fact is that you can cancel your policy at any time, so if you are asked to sign a CTR, then sign it, and then shop around. If you're not asked, you should still shop around on occasion.

There really is no downside to signing, as long as you can cancel without penalty.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post

I work in insurance, although on the auto, not the property side. For my company, the recent hurricanes were not nearly as bad as were anticipated from a claims perspective. However, two major storms in 3 years has us perilously close to Florida-panicky territory and they are raising rates in anticipation of more such storms in the future.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Agree, it's not a very big deal (I thought it was too, when State Farm hit me with it a couple years ago). Fact is that you can cancel your policy at any time, so if you are asked to sign a CTR, then sign it, and then shop around. If you're not asked, you should still shop around on occasion.

There really is no downside to signing, as long as you can cancel without penalty.
Never thought the CTR was a big deal since you can cancel your policy at any time! Of course, before cancelling, you must have a new policy in place.

With the different companies charging such different rates, we should all take a look at our policies yearly.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Wanted to dig a past Amica thread up to say that I got in a 6 car wreck last week on 440 and totaled my car. Amica has been a total breeze to deal with and the settlement offer on my car was $3,000 more than the Kelley Blue Book value. Definitely would recommend for anybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary