Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:02 PM

269 posts, read 319,492 times

Advertisements

Looks like a new Vietnamese restaurant – Pho Sure - is going in next to Tokyo House at Six Forks and Sawmill. Glad to see one opening west of the Capital strip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:47 PM

6,641 posts, read 5,535,257 times
Maybe they'll have a good Banh Mi! I was talking with my coworker the other day and we couldn't think of a spot that had a good Banh Mi sandwich other than KoKyu Na'Mean which is not the real thing and an American Fusion kind of deal.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:52 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,078,632 times
does the place at Mission Valley not make a good Banh Mi? Or just not authentic enough?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 PM

6,641 posts, read 5,535,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
does the place at Mission Valley not make a good Banh Mi? Or just not authentic enough?
which place is that? I can't think of a Vietnamese place at Mission Valley?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,078,632 times
looked it up - Dalat.

I had a Banh Mi from Linus & Peppers that was really good, I just don't know how authentic it was.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
looked it up - Dalat.

I had a Banh Mi from Linus & Peppers that was really good, I just don't know how authentic it was.
Dalat does not have bahn mi (and personally, any Asian restaurant that tries to do FOUR different cuisines makes me suspect that they do none of them well).

When we lived in Phoenix, I ate bahn mi 3-4 times a month with about 3 choices of good places to get them. Since we've lived here, none of the places did them quite right. And ALL were more expensive than they ought to be.

The best I've had was at Mekong in Durham/Brier Creek. Not great, but at least it was large and the grilled pork was excellent.

Worst one was Taste in Morrisville, with the added fun of a surly server. After several disappointing meals, we don't go back there anymore.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:49 PM

650 posts, read 923,434 times
Banh Mi:

Main Page

Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 PM

49 posts, read 52,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
Looks like a new Vietnamese restaurant – Pho Sure - is going in next to Tokyo House at Six Forks and Sawmill. Glad to see one opening west of the Capital strip!
Glad to see a newcomer after the early demise of the less popular Pho-Q.

I am all too often disappointed at the bland offerings of many Vietnamese restaurants. It's not that the food is bad, per se, it's just that the tame menus appeal to the folks (either Vietnamese in nationality, or just fans of Vietnamese food) that prefer things on the bland side. Many Pho dishes are this way to my tastebuds, just a bit too diluted and "meh" when compared to Thai or Indian food. There are plenty of exciting, spicy or flavorful Vietnamese recipes, many dishes I don't even know the name of, but I can typically spot them either through descriptions or photos on the typical menu. These dishes seem to be found on the menu at Vietnamese restaurants I've visited in many other US cities, not sure what's going on locally.

I personally don't understand the whole Pho craze, it's easy enough to make restaurant-quality Pho at home. I don't even see crepes offered at many of these places other than Dalat, and even Dalat doesn't seem to have any tempting spicy dishes on their menu for me.

Now, if drawing Pho lovers leaves me with some of the tasty alternatives as options, then I'm all in favor of another Vietnamese restaurant in the area.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepibert View Post
Glad to see a newcomer after the early demise of the less popular Pho-Q.

I am all too often disappointed at the bland offerings of many Vietnamese restaurants. It's not that the food is bad, per se, it's just that the tame menus appeal to the folks (either Vietnamese in nationality, or just fans of Vietnamese food) that prefer things on the bland side. Many Pho dishes are this way to my tastebuds, just a bit too diluted and "meh" when compared to Thai or Indian food. There are plenty of exciting, spicy or flavorful Vietnamese recipes, many dishes I don't even know the name of, but I can typically spot them either through descriptions or photos on the typical menu. These dishes seem to be found on the menu at Vietnamese restaurants I've visited in many other US cities, not sure what's going on locally.

I personally don't understand the whole Pho craze, it's easy enough to make restaurant-quality Pho at home. I don't even see crepes offered at many of these places other than Dalat, and even Dalat doesn't seem to have any tempting spicy dishes on their menu for me.

Now, if drawing Pho lovers leaves me with some of the tasty alternatives as options, then I'm all in favor of another Vietnamese restaurant in the area.
I'll agree with everything you've said except what I highlighted in red. For restaurant-quality pho, the time required to simmer the broth can take up to 12 hours or more. Source: Pho Broth: The Soul of Vietnamese Pho - LovingPho.com and many, many others.

You can make a decent pho at home with about 4 hours of simmering, and I'm betting that's the stuff we're getting in most of our local restaurants (Pho Far East is, I think, is doing the 'real thing').

Old 07-24-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
Banh Mi:

Main Page
Tried it. Once. 'nuf said. (I did, however, like some of their other stuff.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary