Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times

Advertisements

Hanging Rock is great, but IMO it can really make for an exhausting day trip with the drive plus doing some of the activities. The campground is pretty nice, plus we have some family nearby, so between those two we usually make our trips that way overnights. We last camped there right at about a year ago, and it was hotter than blazes. I've not had much luck beating the heat with mountain trips in the summer unless I've gone to somewhere like Mt. Pisgah, with its significantly higher elevation (5722' vs. 2160' for Hanging Rock).

I prefer somewhere closer like Raven Rock if I am doing a day trip. We can drive there, do a good hike or two, and still drive back in time for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:27 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
Hanging rock and raven rock are the best for true hiking but falls lake and Jordan lake have decent trails closer to home plus swimming. The campgrounds in raven rock and hanging rock are great as well as Jordan lake but bring portable fans if you go that route.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I've not had much luck beating the heat with mountain trips in the summer unless I've gone to somewhere like Mt. Pisgah, with its significantly higher elevation (5722' vs. 2160' for Hanging Rock).
Go to Boone and Blowing Rock to beat the heat. Shorter trip than Pisgah. Anything above 3000 feet will be noticeably cooler. We were up in Boone that weekend it was around 100 here and it was 83, 85, 80 there on Fri, Sat, Sun respectively compared to 98, 101, 102 in Raleigh, or so says AccuWeather.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmitche View Post
I have 4 kids aged 10,10,10 and 8 that love to hike. Of the parks on your list, they like Hanging Rock the best. I agree with them and for a full day trip I don't even think the others are that close. I'd gladly spend a day at any of these places, but to me Hanging Rock has the best variety for a day. Many of the other parks have a decent hike or two. Hanging Rock has a bunch. Mountains (the Sauratown Mountains are not gigantic but they rise above the surrounding countryside pretty impressively), waterfalls, caves, swimming holes. Really neat place.

I asked my kids to rank the parks we've been to, here's what we came up with:

1. Hanging Rock - favorites are Hanging Rock, Tory's Den, Lower Cascades
2. Pilot Mountain - Jomeokee trail around the pinnacle
3. Raven Rock - we live in Fuquay so this is kind of a homer pick. It's a good trip and pretty close to home. If you're looking to spend 2-4 hours this is a great place.
4. Eno River - great Piedmont hiking. Much of the hiking at Piedmont parks is like that at Umstead - trails through forest with a small attraction like a stream. Eno is better because many trails interact with the river which is nice.
5. Morrow Mountain - a decent number of hikes with elevation changes. Has a pool, boat rentals on Lake Tillery. You won't get a ton of views with the leaves grown in this time of year. We camped there when we went so it automatically is better in their book.
6. Occoneechee Mountain - my kids say the best hike close to home. They like rocks and this is the closest thing to a mountain we've found around here. It's a State Natural Area, so it doesn't have any real amenities like those that you'd find at a state park. You'd be hard pressed to spend a whole day here, but for a few hours it's great
7. Umstead - close to home, lots of miles of trails. Some of them cross/interact with streams, but these hikes are mostly about taking a long walk in the woods. Don't let their ranking fool you, if you want to take a long hike and stay close to home this is your place. The multi-use trails are fun to bike. Company Mill trail is a good 5 miler that is moderate due to length but not terribly difficult.

The rest:
-Cliffs of Neuse - has a swim lake and a number of short trails. I don't recall being able to see the cliff (you park on top and look down to the river) and that was disappointing. Perhaps we were in the wrong spot. Kayaking the river would probably be fun.
-Jordan/Falls - if we were talking about something other than hiking these would be higher. They have several beaches and campgrounds. Hiking wise, Falls gets a leg up because the Falls Lake Trail is part of the Mountains to Sea trail, however if you're trying to loop back to where you start this isn't ideal. The Red/Blue loops at New Hope Overlook at Jordan are some of our favorite 3/5 milers. If we're visiting Falls for the day, we prefer Blue Jay Point, which is a Wake County park.
-Weymouth Woods - The longleaf pine forest is cool, but if I were picking a place to drive to it would be low on the list.
-Kerr - like Jordan/Falls as far as hiking goes, but worse. Again, boating/camping are another story. The lake is much bigger but the focus is on boating/camping.

We have yet to visit Mayo River, Haw River, Carvers Creek, or Medoc Mountain.

The state parks have a small booklet you can get for free at any park called a Passport. You collect stamps at each park you visit. (National Park Service does something similar but more "elaborate"). I'll give you a warning, the kids find it addictive. We've gotten around 15 stamps so far and have been to a handful more parks before we knew about the Passports. We just picked up Stone Mountain this past weekend which is another to consider for a longer day trip.
Thanks for the excellent reviews of the parks!!

Old 08-01-2017, 06:09 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times
Fairy Stone just across the Va border is great, especially if you can get a lake front cabin. Get one of the original cabins (CCC camps built them back in the depression). They have been updated with ac and such but still have great wood burning fireplaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary