Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 AM

88 posts, read 401,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti04 View Post
IMO i'd stay away from KB Homes. Personally I don't see what the attraction is with stripped homes that cost a fortune to get decent standards in their homes. Granted twin lakes is on the higher end of those standards, who honestly wants mushroom lights and pop corn ceilings in their home at least thats the kind of stuff I noticed in Amberly. Along with charging for grid lines in windows.
This depend which community one builds in with KBHome. TwinLakes homes have standard smooth ceilings, eggshell paint, and don't have mushroom lights. Because it's a Martha Stewart design community, the majority of standards are far beyond what most consider "standards". Best bet is to visit each community and get a list of standard features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 PM

82 posts, read 271,986 times
Wrxsti04 is incorrect in my opinion. KB has greatly improved its reputation over the past 7 years. Most of the storys about KB and their poor quality workmanship came out of Texas where there was a problem. As far as upgrades go, they are not as expensive as people think and some are quite inexpensive. We bought our house (2198) and put in a ton of upgrades and still came in under $260,000. Almost 2200 square feet and loaded with upgrades for that price in Cary for New Cons is very good imo. Where talking All Hardwoods, 9ft ceilings, Fireplace, and much much more.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:33 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW25 View Post
I finally decided to get a house in Twin Lakes but after choosing the lot and signing a buyers agreement I noticed theres a 20' storm drainage easment between my house and the house next door. Will this negativly affect my home resale value? Can this flood my house?
Im so confused and very stressed out rite now. What should I do?
I'd have to see it to judge it, but my 2 biggest concerns about Twin Lakes were:
1. Commute, having to get on Airport BLVD, 54, or Aviation.
2. Airplane noise.

This community started out very hot but has drastically slowed down and that was well before everything else around here slowed down. Yes, they have still been selling but they have also really cut prices from what they were initially. If you do a search you will find varying opinions here. I don't think it is a bad place it just wasn't for us.

Amberly is too far away for me for the money and the lot sizes. If my commute time was better from there I'd probably reconsider as I really like the theme of the neighborhood, and that HUGE clubhouse.

Umstead is a beautiful area. I'm one of those people who wants a yard so the Beezar townhomes are not an option. If that is your cup of tea though, out of all 3 I like the area and location of Umstead the most. But that is just me!
Good luck either way!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times
Default Are you saying...

that you have only done a lot reservation and not yet signed a sales contract? What are you calling a "buyers agreement"? No matter what, you may be able to "trade up" your lot but it may mean a higher lot premium. Moderator cut: TOS Violation

Last edited by autumngal; 03-16-2008 at 06:43 AM..

Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 AM

12 posts, read 42,588 times
Mudpaws Im assuming you chose the 2198 fairfield, is that right? which elevation?
Did your salesperson tell you the length of your front yard which starts from the beginning of the sidewalk?
make sure your aware of that because I saw some homes being built in twin lakes with not enough front yard.

Last edited by BMW25; 03-16-2008 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM

once you start living in that area you wont even notice the airplanes. I lived in morrisville with train tracks right behind my house, it was annoying the first week but after that I got used to it, I didnt even notice the train passing. Its kinda like the clock ticking, for someone who's not used to sleeping in a room with a wall clock will notiice the ticking but someone who's used to it wont notice it - that noise is there but your brain gets used to it and after some time it doesnt notice it anymore.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:30 PM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW25 View Post
once you start living in that area you wont even notice the airplanes. I lived in morrisville with train tracks right behind my house, it was annoying the first week but after that I got used to it, I didnt even notice the train passing. Its kinda like the clock ticking, for someone who's not used to sleeping in a room with a wall clock will notiice the ticking but someone who's used to it wont notice it - that noise is there but your brain gets used to it and after some time it doesnt notice it anymore.
I think you're correct, but it varies from person to person. I think one can often visit a place and not notice a certain noise, but then notice it after moving in. One can probably get used to that. On the other hand, if you visit a place and initially are put off by noise, having it be your primary concern, it might be hard to overcome.

I didn't notice the traffic noise from one of my homes, I got used to it (after a couple of months). My wife got used to it too but she still got angry about it and having a wife who is consistently angry about something like noise is just as bad as noticing the noise in my opinion!

Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM

82 posts, read 271,986 times
Thanks BMW25. We did purchase in Fairfield and we chose the Katonah elevation. Our house structure is already up so we are able to clearly see how much front yard we have and we are very happy with it. I would much rather have more backyard and ours is pretty good for Twin lakes anyway.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:44 PM

30 posts, read 110,610 times
I like the location of Twin Lakes. Their swimming pool complex looks pretty good, too. Depending on where you live in Twin Lakes, you can easily walk to Starbucks, Dairy Queen, Salsa Fresh, etc.. There will be additional stores and dining options within walking distance once the mixed use development behind Dairy Queen is completed.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Mudpaws, I also purchased a 2198 Katonah---after looking at all 3 elevations, I think the katonahs are the best. Theres a beautiful Katonah being built in the front of the community on the left side, is that yours? I think thats probably one of the best lots. My Katonah will be in the same area. I'm so anxious to move in, I cant wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary