Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times

Advertisements

There will be no charges. There will be no arrests. They have basically greenlighted anyone to go destroy any monument you find offensive. This is only the first of many to be vandalized in the immediate future. There is a right and wrong way to do these things, and political correctness has just granted vandals the ok to do it the wrong way.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Based on those who signed the declaration of Independence, maybe we should be looking for some white-out so it can be modified along with tearing down statues.

Revisionist history...... shades of the old Soviet Union.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If someone wants a statue removed from the Durham County Courthouse grounds, they need to petition the County Commissioners do do so.
Are people really unaware that the North Carolina state assembly passed a law making it essentially impossible for local ordinances to remove confederate statues?

NC House backs ban on removing historical monuments | News & Observer

This option that many of you suggest isn't a real option.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 AM

49 posts, read 52,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Interesting history on statue... read it on a comment at a washington post article.... glad the sheriffs agree this is a crime. Also what i find hilarious is the vast majority of those protesters looked to be white...
Because vandalizing historical elements like this really has nothing to do with race, they just use this as an excuse to do it in the hopes it will lessen consequences.

Vandalizing statues, confederate flags, etc. is a simple matter of seeking attention. They want their 15 minutes of "fame" (or infamy in this case), hoping to see themselves on social media, tv, etc. and to be able to later say "I was there! I did that brah!"

Humans place a priority on seeking the need to feel important (particularly immature ones). To be recognized for something, even something negative, satisfies a need. You can tell by their "euphoric" behavior in the videos that it was something fueled not by alcohol or drugs, but a craving for attention and the feeling of having done something notable.

It's the same high serial killers seek. They want to be known for something, even if that something is not desirable. They want their name in the history books even if it has to be for something like a body count record.

It's just a sign of weak human beings who are not mature enough to balance morals against their own need to satisfy immediate cravings for attention.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:19 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepibert View Post
Because vandalizing historical elements like this really has nothing to do with race, they just use this as an excuse to do it in the hopes it will lessen consequences.

Vandalizing statues, confederate flags, etc. is a simple matter of seeking attention. They want their 15 minutes of "fame" (or infamy in this case), hoping to see themselves on social media, tv, etc. and to be able to later say "I was there! I did that brah!"

Humans place a priority on seeking the need to feel important (particularly immature ones). To be recognized for something, even something negative, satisfies a need. You can tell by their "euphoric" behavior in the videos that it was something fueled not by alcohol or drugs, but a craving for attention and the feeling of having done something notable.

It's the same high serial killers seek. They want to be known for something, even if that something is not desirable. They want their name in the history books even if it has to be for something like a body count record.

It's just a sign of weak human beings who are not mature enough to balance morals against their own need to satisfy immediate cravings for attention.
Interesting psychology lesson! The videos show a crazed crowd acting irrationally. Wonder how much actual thought was put into this.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:19 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
Durham County's official statement was this

Quote:
"Our elected officials and senior staff understand the unrest in our nation and community, particularly following the senseless acts that took place in Charlottesville, VA. We share the sentiments of many communities around the nation that admonish hate and acts of violence as we believe civility is necessary in our every action and response. Governmental agencies dedicated to public safety will continue to work collectively to ensure Durham remains a community of excellence where all of our residents can live peacefully, grow and thrive."
Durham protesters pull down Confederate statue outside courthouse | abc11.com

Old 08-15-2017, 08:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fepibert View Post

I agree with you here. As I said in the other thread that was locked, they could have proved their point by putting a sheet over the statue. The destruction, spitting, kicking, was all a "look at me and how much I care about our country" attempt at getting attention. Many of these people probably don't even know the history or reasons why the statue exists.

I wish social media would just go away. It's making people crazy.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:21 AM

326 posts, read 384,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Are people really unaware that the North Carolina state assembly passed a law making it essentially impossible for local ordinances to remove confederate statues?

NC House backs ban on removing historical monuments | News & Observer

This option that many of you suggest isn't a real option.
My understanding, based on another thread about this, is that the law only applies to statues/memorials owned by the state and not to any old statue owned by a local government. What I don't know is who actually owned the statue in Durham that was toppled last night.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:24 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Nonetheless, its history, and you can't erase it. Put a plaque next to it to provide explanation and context so future generations will know and understand where we cam from and how we've progressed. Thats the only way to keep history from repeating itself.

Yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B...-Boat_Memorial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbunker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_party_rally_grounds

There are many more.
The bunker and Nazi party rally grounds are properly contextualized as historical markers akin to artifacts. I am clearly not saying bulldoze historical artifacts and buildings, such as slave quarters, plantation houses, Robert E Lee's memoirs, slave ships, shackles, or Confederate uniforms. They should be preserved, studied, and viewed in historical context. I have not found many memorials in Germany to World War II deceased. Sometimes villages and small towns have rather modest memorials with the names of those lost their lives, but these usually were World War I memorials that had World World II soldiers added to them, and they are quite controversial and in danger of being extinguished or removed.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:28 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary