Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 AM

61 posts, read 187,663 times

Advertisements

Hello-I am contemplating a move to the Triangle area in the next year, I am currently in Charlotte. It's between Asheville and the Triangle as far as options for relocation. While I really love the Asheville area, it might be too small for me long-term. I can most likely bring my job with me, but in case something goes wrong, the Triangle is going to be better in terms of a career opportunity.

I don't know much about the area, and I am wondering which city/community would be the best fit for me. SWF, 40-something,no kids, liberal and spiritual not religious. I enjoy walkable destinations, living by a greenway or park-like setting, coffee places, bookstores, great restaurants. Something centrally located. I could likely work from home or do a combo of that plus go to an office where the bank has a location a few days a week.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM

346 posts, read 339,193 times
I think Cary, Southwest Durham, Carrboro, and North Raleigh are your best bets. They are pretty centrally located with diverse populations (Carrboro maybe a little less centrally located). Avoid the outer suburbs

Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
What are you hoping to find that Raleigh has to offer that Charlotte doesn't? What itch does Raleigh scratch that Charlotte doesn't?

Raleigh has what you mention in terms of greenways, parks, and coffee shops, but doesn't Charlotte as well?

When I compare Raleigh and Charlotte, I think Red Apples and Green Apples. Not apples and oranges. Asheville compared to Raleigh or Charlotte is like comparing an Apple to a Legume, but that's another discussion.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:23 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
I think Cary, Southwest Durham, Carrboro, and North Raleigh are your best bets. They are pretty centrally located with diverse populations (Carrboro maybe a little less centrally located). Avoid the outer suburbs
I'd toss the Cameron Village area in that mix for walkability, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'd toss the Cameron Village area in that mix for walkability, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.
EXACTLY what I was thinking. SW Durham MIGHT fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What are you hoping to find that Raleigh has to offer that Charlotte doesn't? What itch does Raleigh scratch that Charlotte doesn't?

Raleigh has what you mention in terms of greenways, parks, and coffee shops, but doesn't Charlotte as well?

When I compare Raleigh and Charlotte, I think Red Apples and Green Apples. Not apples and oranges. Asheville compared to Raleigh or Charlotte is like comparing an Apple to a Legume, but that's another discussion.
Good information, and a great analogy.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Whats your budget for housing? Where in Charlotte do you live? What about it do you like/dislike?

Old 08-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Well I have been in Charlotte 15 years now and it's ok but very corporate/vanilla and most all transplants are either married couples with children or people in their 20's. It's like uptown and Southend are all 20 somethings and Ballantyne, while it does have some older singles, is soccer mom USA. The crime is increasing, traffic is awful. I realize a lot of people are also moving to the Triangle but I think it will have more of an intellectual/higher learning type vibe that is more appealing to me. I have had really bad dating experiences in Charlotte, so hoping a change of scenery might help in that regard.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Whats your budget for housing? Where in Charlotte do you live? What about it do you like/dislike?
I would rent first, so budget is around $1200. I currently live near Steele Creek area of Charlotte. I just answered your last question in another reply. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,556 times
I'm from Charlotte, and seriously considering leaving Raleigh because I find it becoming too much like Charlotte..but that's just my opinion! Good luck, whatever you decide....

Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 PM

714 posts, read 721,977 times
Were it not for the walkability problem my neighborhood would be perfect for you.

You probably want to be close to downtown Durham, but the closer to downtown you get, the higher the rents are.

I am in SW Durham near Woodcroft. I like it here because it is no more than 40 minutes to anywhere I'd want to go, but I'm not sure what rentals go for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary