Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM

166 posts, read 381,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
SarahMom, year rounds, in and of themselves are not so awful. The different tracks that Wake uses--well that can be an issue. My sister taught at a YR in Monterey, CA for a while and the kids had a 3 week break in between sessions and a 6 week break in the summer. If my kids had to be on a schedule like this, I'd have no problem. I agree that summer vacations are important to our family too. However, by 6 weeks, the kids are itching to do something! And the 3 week breaks during the year allow families to take advantage of vacation destinations at off-peak times. I know childcare is an issue, though it remains an issue during the standard 10-12 week break too.

My biggest issue with WCPSS is the lack of commitment to the concept of the neighborhood school and the mixing in of YR and traditional. I have kids in elementary, middle and high school. What a mess YR would be for me! But if everyone were on YR and on the same track (not possible with WCPSS because of overcrowding, I guess), then YR wouldn't be an issue.

But the big nut for me is the neighborhood school issue. That is what kills the option of Wake Co schools for me.
I agree, NChomesomeday. Proximity and stability are my two top priorities. I could potentially be talked into year round if I could be sure they wouldn't bus my child 45 min away at the drop of a hat, and then somewhere else the next year, and then....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
That's why I think these parent and grassroots groups might do better if they separated the two concepts: YR and bussing.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM

165 posts, read 516,296 times
Thank you all for the information. It sounds like it's a bit of a mess up there. We will have to research which districts keep local kids, local.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISTOMOVE View Post
I would think this would be a daycare nightmare for those families that have both parents working with younger school age children.
Actually there are several "Track Out Camps" that places like the YMCA offer. While my child in on a traditional calendar in Durham Co, I hear lots of track out commericials.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,436,877 times
Buy in an older neighborhood that won't be dumping a ton of kids in the school system in the next few years. I'm dead serious. Big Brother has an idea about how many kids are coming in the pipeline, and reassignment decisions may be based on on the number of youngsters in any given node. By older - I don't mean ancient (unless that is your ideal).. but there are the 70's era neighborhoods closer to the 440 beltline - or 80's style in North Raleigh. Most of these homes have likely been remodeled updated.. (bye bye williamsburg blue wallpaper and country curtains).. and added bonus of mature landscaping - decent sized lots..plenty of shopping etc. this area was built up before the cookie cutter neighborhood mentality hit Raleigh.

Its not a guarantee of course.. but if you think about it.. it makes sense....

Old 03-15-2008, 08:11 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
From what I've read, and heard, the school system here seems to be beyond explanation. . .

Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
While bussing is often done to relieve overcrowding, which is often the reason prompting redistricting, it is not the only one. The schools (not just WCPS) have to balance socio-economic and race. Based on that, buying into an older neighborhood may not "protect" you. I have seen it happen in a couple of counties now, where 2nd generation of HOs kids ended up being bussed to schools not near their neighborhood.
If redistricting is the concern, you should look at counties not experiencing the incredible growth WC is, but know that the Triangle as a whole is growing. I think Johnson County is projected to be the next fastest growing county. Check those stats as well. But I have to say this for the redistricting--if you were, say to be in WCPS and redistricted, take heart--your child would be redistricted with other kids from your neighborhood. They don't single out a street...usually.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:46 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,471 times
Default You can't have it both ways...

Living in an area that has good jobs, good education, nice weather and people and is holding its own in house values means we are growing. That means new schools. Add to that federal mandates for diversity (and others) and there has to be some moving around and bussing of kids. That is unless you all want to move into assigned homes when you come here. The wide choice in housing means the county has no control over what new neighborhoods are going to be chock full of kids that have to be placed. They have a huge problem facing them literally every day just trying to juggle the assignments, let alone hiring new teachers, dealing with new curricula, finding funding, etc.
If you want to be guaranteed a public "neighborhood school" you will have to move to a stagnant or unpopular area.
rnc2mbfl posted a wonderful "Perfect Triangle" post on 11/15/07 that I printed and read over and over. It really sums up the irony of what so may people believe in a funny way. Search for it and you will see what I mean.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:00 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Lady View Post
If you want to be guaranteed a public "neighborhood school" you will have to move to a stagnant or unpopular area.
That's an extraordinarily inflamatory and misleading statement. There are numerous areas within the Triangle that are quite attractive and have "neighborhood schools". Many are simply located outside of Wake County.

As I understand it, Wake County is the only county in the Triangle that has a districting policy that is tied to socioeconomic status. If anyone knows of another school district in the area that has a similar policy, could you please post that information? Because as far as I know, all of the other school disctricts in the area tend to assign students to the schools closest to their homes.

Last edited by MrsSteel; 03-15-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
As I understand it, Wake County is the only county in the Triangle that has a districting policy that is tied to socioeconomic status. If anyone knows of another school district in the area that has a similar policy, could you please post that information? Because as far as I know, all of the other school disctricts in the area tend to assign students to the schools closest to their homes.
I know of an example in CHCCS whereby students (specifically for elementary age) were redistricted from the area near Sage Rd (those subdivisions there) to the then new Rashkis Elementary school. The reason given to parents: for diversity. Sorry, but the area around Sage Rd redistricted is an upper middle class area being districted to a similar area, so it wasn't exactly socio-economic per se, but more to create diversity among ethnicity. Point is, the elementary school they were originally districted was not overcrowded. I am also seeing another situation in the OCS, with 2 elementary schools. Nothing resolved yet, but it has to do with Central and Hillsborough Elementary. One a school in crisis (not meeting AYP for the 2nd year) and the other a year-round. The school board is coming up with solutions directly linked to socio-economic balance. There are 2 examples for you, of my earlier comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary