Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: traffic, great schools, children, downtown , realtor, find a house.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM

269 posts, read 944,148 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a feel of the differences between these??

Specifically...
  1. Realistic Commute time to RTP and or RDU - Not a big factor to us, but would still like to know
  2. Schools - are teh difference REALLY that bad? Are their parochial schools available in both locations?
  3. Small town feel? Not so much Mayberry (Andy Griffith), but more of Stars Hollow (Gilmore Girls).
  4. Child Friendly?
  5. Amenities accessible? Grocery stores, movies, shopping, etc...

And Finally, suggestions on subdivisions to look at in BOTH areas?? Criteria include 2800+sq.ft., 1/4+ Acres, <$375K

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:37 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
It takes about a 30 minute commute from Hillsborough to RTP if you live close to I40. If not, then add to it. Wake Forest is about the same.. if you live on the West side of Wake Forest. If not I would add another 15 min. Schools are subjective in nature. Depends what you are comparing it to. Check out my website and go to schools. There is a complete list of statistics and private school list, religious schools, etc. Then go to greatschools.net to compare. This website is helpful as it is unbiased. Hillsborough is very quiet, more of a Mayberry feeling in your words. Wake Forest is growing quickly and it shows. Both are very friendly. More to do in Wake Forest. As far as subdivisions, new or older homes? Do you want amenities in the neighborhood? etc.. just some things to consider.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:16 AM

Thank you Jane, I was beginning to get a bit of a complex that no one had answered my post

As far as subdivisions go, we would prefer something newer with some amenities, ie. pool, playground

Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
This is more a comment about the two towns than subdivisions, but here goes:

Hillsborough has a little more of an arty, liberal feel to it (although not entirely). Wake Forest is more conservative, more traditional.

Both have become extremely popular for families, in the outlying subdivisions. The cultural difference I note are also expressive in the difference between the overall counties (Orange v. Wake). If you would like to orient to Raleigh as your big town, Wake Forest makes sense. If you prefer Chapel Hill/Carrboro or Durham, Hillsborough makes sense.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:05 PM

As far as liberal vs. conservative - not really an issue for us. Issues we would be more interested are crime, safety, cleanliness, education, and of course the ideal home community.

Someone in another thread had mentioned Churton Grove. How does Churton Grove compare to say Northampton or Heritage? Since those are really the two subdivisions we liked in WF.

Thanks again!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 PM

45 posts, read 150,802 times
Don't know anything about Churton Grove, but know a lot about Heritage. Lots of children, families, many, many selections of homes and different builders. The area is growing, with a new high school being built less than a mile away. Also there is an elementary school and middle school adjacent to the new high school. I don't live in heritage, but have spent a lot of time in the neighborhood. One of my most fond memories while passing thru was during Halloween. Saw lots of children and adults in the neighborhoods spending quality time with each other. People seem very friendly and neighborly. Check it out first of course!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
It takes about a 30 minute commute from Hillsborough to RTP if you live close to I40. If not, then add to it. Wake Forest is about the same.. if you live on the West side of Wake Forest. If not I would add another 15 min. Schools are subjective in nature. Depends what you are comparing it to. Check out my website and go to schools. There is a complete list of statistics and private school list, religious schools, etc. Then go to greatschools.net to compare. This website is helpful as it is unbiased. Hillsborough is very quiet, more of a Mayberry feeling in your words. Wake Forest is growing quickly and it shows. Both are very friendly. More to do in Wake Forest. As far as subdivisions, new or older homes? Do you want amenities in the neighborhood? etc.. just some things to consider.
It makes a difference where you live in Wake Forest. Capital Blvd is a bear.. 24/7 it seems...
The area around Heritage is more crowded/congested than some of the unicorporated areas on the west side of Wake Forest (off Hwy 98 - Thompson Mill, Camp Kanata Road, etc.

I'm starting to really *hate* the area around Heritage. Getting way too busy. Sad to say, folks here got the growth, but Wake Forest is starting to lose some of its charm. Everytime I hear somebody say, "its the next Cary" I feel sad... Thank goodness downtown area remains the same..... I hope it always stays that way (charming).

Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,289 times
I can only attempt to answer your questions, as they pertain to Hillsborough as I am unfamiliar with WF. I hear WF is a great community, and very similar in size but yet different. That said, here I go:
[quote=stephz1008;3136810]Can anyone give me a feel of the differences between these??

Specifically...
  1. Realistic Commute time to RTP and or RDU - Not a big factor to us, but would still like to know
Depending on what side of H'boro you are looking at 20 minutes (little to no traffic) from the southside (and depending on time of day and day of the week). You can take a different route if commuting from the north side, around Churton Grove area, and it will add anywhere from 15-20 minutes to the commute.

2. Schools - are teh difference REALLY that bad? Are their parochial schools available in both locations?
Orange County Schools are much different from Wake County. First, you are dealing with a smaller county, and less redistricting. OCS is a great school system, with a very response school board and central administration. The new superindendent was formally a teacher and principal in this district, b/f heading to another district to serve in upper admin. He returned as superintendent. That says alot. Moreover, there is one elementary school that is year round, the rest are traditional. There are only 3 middle schools, and 2 high schools. The 2 high schools are totally different, in focus (standard curriculum for the basics, but the electives give the students different focus). It depends on what you are wanting for your kids. There are a couple of faith based schools, but no Catholic (as you asked for parochial, I think that is what you are looking for). The closest would be Immaculata in Durham. They used to have a waiting list, but I don't think so anymore. That's k-8 btw.

3. Small town feel? Not so much Mayberry (Andy Griffith), but more of Stars Hollow (Gilmore Girls).
As I don't watch Gilmore Girls I can't say, but will say H'boro is a wonderful (very) small town that is growing rapidly yet still retaining that "Mayberry" feel.

4. Child Friendly?
Absolutely!

H'boro has a new Weaver Street Market opening downtown (in April I believe), a new Food Lion (ok, it's like 2 years old but that's still new) on the north side, an old Food Lion on the south side, a Super Walmart on the southside and a Lowes Food. There is a small "restaurant row" downtown (historic area), with really great food. No movie theatres yet, but Timberlyne is a mere 5 or 10 minutes away (from south side) in Chapel Hill and Southpointe is only about 15. Of course there is always Durham theatres, coming from east/north side wouldn't be much different of a commute. There is talk about a huge (read: like Southpointe) mall and theatre complex coming to Buckhorn Rd, which is btw H'boro and Mebane, but in Orange County. If it comes to be, that will make a huge impact!
Also, for the "etc" we have a weekly Farmers Market (summer only, then shifts to 2x/month), and a monthly "Last Friday" celebration, which is like a big street party with music on the courthouse lawn and lots of stuff for the kiddies as well as adults. Of course Hog Day has been written up in Southern Living a couple of times as a must do event.
6. And Finally, suggestions on subdivisions to look at in BOTH areas?? Criteria include 2800+sq.ft., 1/4+ Acres, <$375K
Do look at Churton Grove (they have a pool, walking trails, etc), but there are other subdivisions as well. Waterstone is a development currently in the making. It will host a new community college (to open later this spring), as well as mixed use and residential. So I'm not sure when the houses will begin, but soon I would think, as the roads are in and the community college is up.

Hope that helps with more specifics on H'boro. Good luck.

Oh--one last thing. We all joke in H'boro about how you can sit at Cup of Joe's in the historic district, have a french pastry (from the shop next door) and a pick up truck drives up with a freshly killed turkey (or deer, or whatever) to weigh at the Carolina Fish and Game shop outdoor scalle.
Also, the mayor is known to have his morning "office hours" at Cup of Joe's and the afternoon hour at the Wooden Nickel. If you want to find the mayor...now you know where.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:29 AM

93 posts, read 292,216 times
Default Hills or wake

Quote:
Can anyone give me a feel of the differences between these??

Specifically...
  4. Child Friendly?
I will say that WF will be less of the issue when you travel during work hour. Rt 40 is a dissaster in the morning and after 4:30 PM. Hillborough is closer to RTP but the commute might feel longer. Wake forest is little far distance wise but because of 540 it may take less time to get to Wake forest. Wake forest is closer to the highway shopping center, Movies, groceries and close to Raleigh the night life and if you are ot into night life there is always something or the other that you can enjoy in Raleigh. Wake forest is a small town with a big beat. It offers a city life but in small town environment. Wake forest still have houses that might not cost you that much. I know your budget is about $375.
If you are working with a realtor you can find a house that you are looking for less than what you want to spend. This way you can use the extra cash to renovate a home the way you want it to look. Ask your agent to find you property between 2800 sq.ft. to 3500sq.ft and you will be surprised that how much you can get for your money in Wake forest. I hope this will help. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:54 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahlawat View Post
I will say that WF will be less of the issue when you travel during work hour. Rt 40 is a dissaster in the morning and after 4:30 PM.
That's debatable. It's true that I-40 can get bad during rush hour, but most of the problems are east of RTP (headed towards Cary, Raleigh, Clayton, etc.). The western side isn't perfect, but it seems to flow pretty easily. While we were living in Hillsborough (in the Churton Grove area) the stretch of road that slowed down the commute more than anything was the main drive through downtown Hillsborough. The numerous lights could be a real annoyance. That's the main reason why the commute from Churton Grove to RTP can be 40 minutes from there. Luckily, there are other routes (like the 147) that can cut down that commute time considerably.

Frankly, whether one town is better than the other is simply a matter of personal preference. They both have quaint downtowns & they're both growing. You'll have to see the two towns yourself to decide which you like better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary