Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's a good point and I'm interested in your last question. How often do people fill up their cars? We don't drive our van enough to tell, but before we had the Leaf it seemed like I filled up weekly. I regularly drove about 350-400 miles a week.
I fill up about once every 1.5-2 weeks - I drive about 15 miles total each day to/from work but I also like to travel on the weekends and go to Durham/Chapel Hill whenever I can to see friends/Bulls games etc... I can go about 400 miles on my Mazda3 before the gas light comes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 05:16 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's interesting to me that people have no issue spending 5 bucks on a coffee at Starbucks, but gas goes up .20 a gallon and it's pure pandemonium.

I mean for the average car, that's 2.00-3.00 extra per fill up. How often does the average person fill their car, 2-3 times a month?
I know - I agree. I don't really care what I pay for gas. It's a necessity of life, for better or worse. Having NO gas is more of a problem for most people...life isn't that dire if gas goes up $.20. Seriously. People aren't crying and gnashing teeth over their AC bill in the summer - you want to be cool? You deal with it. Don't want to pay it? Don't use AC and suffer. Simple as that.

DH and I both work form home. I probably fill up twice a month. DH maybe a little more often as he usually is the one who drives DS to school.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:03 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's interesting to me that people have no issue spending 5 bucks on a coffee at Starbucks, but gas goes up .20 a gallon and it's pure pandemonium.

I mean for the average car, that's 2.00-3.00 extra per fill up. How often does the average person fill their car, 2-3 times a month?
Totally agree. (Although I refuse to buy coffee when I can make my own). Even at $5 per fill-up, it's really not that big of a deal. I don't get the rush on the pumps, you'll still need to fill up, so the only savings you can really get is to time it just right, before the increase, and again after the price drop. Just not worth the time or the hassle to save a few bucks.

To your question, I also have a Mazda 3, and I fill it up on average every week or two. It depends, if I have my daughter with me, I'm doing good to make it a full week. If I don't, I usually can go two. So your 2-3 times per month is just about right. (I did the math, and I drive about 15k miles per year, and get about 400 miles per tank, so that is 37.5 times per year, or just over 3x per month.)

Even for people travelling this weekend, I don't get it. If you drive 1000 miles and only get 20 mpg, that is an extra 50 gallons. At 40-cents per gallon, that's a whopping $20 (a beer and a burger) added to the cost of your trip. Take it in stride, and be glad your house is not under water.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Totally agree. (Although I refuse to buy coffee when I can make my own). Even at $5 per fill-up, it's really not that big of a deal. I don't get the rush on the pumps, you'll still need to fill up, so the only savings you can really get is to time it just right, before the increase, and again after the price drop. Just not worth the time or the hassle to save a few bucks.

To your question, I also have a Mazda 3, and I fill it up on average every week or two. It depends, if I have my daughter with me, I'm doing good to make it a full week. If I don't, I usually can go two. So your 2-3 times per month is just about right. (I did the math, and I drive about 15k miles per year, and get about 400 miles per tank, so that is 37.5 times per year, or just over 3x per month.)

Even for people travelling this weekend, I don't get it. If you drive 1000 miles and only get 20 mpg, that is an extra 50 gallons. At 40-cents per gallon, that's a whopping $20 (a beer and a burger) added to the cost of your trip. Take it in stride, and be glad your house is not under water.
Couldn't agree more with you and others on this thread. Not having gas, big problem. Gas going up $.20-$.50 cents for a week or two, not a problem. If money is tight, you can easily make up that difference. If you're going somewhere for labor day and driving 500 miles this weekend and you have a truck that gets only 18-20mpg, you're still only paying $7.50 to $8 more for the 500 miles if gas is $.30 more than it was last week. The way the media is reporting about people canceling vacations and opinion pieces on why you should think twice about traveling this weekend, it's really getting out of hand.

"Yeah, gas for our $50k truck is going to cost $10 more for this weekend. I guess we should cancel our $300 a night hotel and dinner and party plans at the beach this weekend honey."

Old 09-01-2017, 07:37 AM

I saw a quote from AAA that the gas price increase could prevent people from taking their Labor Day vacation....and I all I could think was "if you can't afford another $25-$50 in gas you have no business going away for the weekend anyway"!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:13 AM

555 posts, read 501,159 times
I remember during last year's (very temporary) gas shortage "crisis" the crowds of vehicles lined up at a gas station in Wake Forest with prices $.10 cheaper per gallon than a gas station approximately a mile away (that, yes, was slightly more expensive, but had NO lines). I heard later that people were waiting 20+ minutes to fill up at that one station. All the time, they were sitting in running vehicles, burning gas. Many, if not most, of the vehicles were very recent to brand-new models -- so probably a number of them were not paid off. So you have people burning gas while sitting in a not-yet-paid-for vehicle all trying to save something like $2-$3 (with diminished effect because they burned gas doing so).... because of a perceived "crisis"? Definitely shows how humans can fall into irrational behaviors in a group, and will willingly walk right into the narrative of a media-created frenzy.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I saw a quote from AAA that the gas price increase could prevent people from taking their Labor Day vacation....and I all I could think was "if you can't afford another $25-$50 in gas you have no business going away for the weekend anyway"!
And that's only if they're driving 1000-2000 miles AND gas goes up $.50 a gallon AND they're only getting 20 mpg. I would venture to say no one is going to be paying over $20 more than they would have. It's a non-factor!

If you get 30mpg and you're only traveling 500 miles round trip AND gas goes up $.50 a gallon, you're going to pay about $8 more for your vacation. Who's that going to stop?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
sheer inanity when I heard that quote on TV today.

You've committed to whatever lodging. You plan to spend a lot of money either on groceries or eating out. Driving 4 hours each way, and likely consuming 20 gallons of gas at even a $1 spike, for $20 extra?

To me, it's just further proof some folks don't even think about what they're reporting.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I remember during last year's (very temporary) gas shortage "crisis" the crowds of vehicles lined up at a gas station in Wake Forest with prices $.10 cheaper per gallon than a gas station approximately a mile away (that, yes, was slightly more expensive, but had NO lines). I heard later that people were waiting 20+ minutes to fill up at that one station. All the time, they were sitting in running vehicles, burning gas. Many, if not most, of the vehicles were very recent to brand-new models -- so probably a number of them were not paid off. So you have people burning gas while sitting in a not-yet-paid-for vehicle all trying to save something like $2-$3 (with diminished effect because they burned gas doing so).... because of a perceived "crisis"? Definitely shows how humans can fall into irrational behaviors in a group, and will willingly walk right into the narrative of a media-created frenzy.
Drive by any carpool at any school this afternoon and you'll find people sitting in their cars for 20-40 minutes with the engine running. And then running home and posting on Facebook about the gas "shortage"/price of gas.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Filled up at Costco today, premium was $2.70, no lines (bad weather). This should last me 2 weeks. Bu sure as heck I'll try to use this story as an excuse to work from home an additional day. Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary