Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Definitely one to keep an eye on, but the cone of uncertainty is getting smaller and smaller and more and more certain w/ regard to North Carolina. I think chances are very good that we have been spared this time, but my heart just hurts for Florida. It's looks like it's just going to be devastating there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I was not going there to buy water but in case anyone else is, Costco in Apex is out!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:28 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
lol that's not true at all when i made the comment it was a charleston landfall scenario

no scenario for irma ever had it riding totally up the coast into NE
Well, take this current-ish power outage prediction map and imagine it being moved over for a Charleston landfall and see how that looks for this area and get back to me.

Is it worth buying up all the milk and bread in wake county, no, but saying there would have been no power outages here in that landfall scenario is still akin to putting your head in the sand and the storm bailing you out by moving over doesn't change that.
Attached Thumbnails
Hurricane Irma?-img_0351.jpg  

Old 09-08-2017, 11:36 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I was not going there to buy water but in case anyone else is, Costco in Apex is out!

Walmart market on Hwy 55 in Cary has lots of cases of water. Almost full shelves. What was emptied was the gallon sizes but it appears that the distilled water in gallons was still pretty much untouched.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:42 AM

326 posts, read 384,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Do you really want to argue that most people in the triangle aren't on city or county water
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Where can I sign up for county water?
Chatham County, for one. Orange and Johnston, too, I think. I'm not sure if Durham's is through the county or only through the city.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:11 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, take this current-ish power outage prediction map and imagine it being moved over for a Charleston landfall and see how that looks for this area and get back to me.

Is it worth buying up all the milk and bread in wake county, no, but saying there would have been no power outages here in that landfall scenario is still akin to putting your head in the sand and the storm bailing you out by moving over doesn't change that.
There was literally one posted in this topic with a charleston landfall and it was still 10%

Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was at the grocery store last night and there was hardly any water left. It's probably not even coming here! It's crazy. I think bottled water is the new bread and milk!
I think so! The only funny thing to me about any of this is the water run when a lot of us probably don't need it. I'm glad I just bought a six pack. Ha.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:03 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Walmart market on Hwy 55 in Cary has lots of cases of water. Almost full shelves. What was emptied was the gallon sizes but it appears that the distilled water in gallons was still pretty much untouched.
They were out yesterday!

Old 09-08-2017, 04:30 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
As of the 5pm forecast (WRAL) they said the models are in alignment and they are "extremely, extremely confident" the impact to NC will be much less than otherwise forecasted in earlier days. Woot!

I do have family in the path of Irma in FL, just outside the evacuation area but they are staying put and are on the 2nd floor of a concrete building, with specialty hurricane shutters installed some years ago.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:02 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was at the grocery store last night and there was hardly any water left. It's probably not even coming here! It's crazy. I think bottled water is the new bread and milk!
Bottled water is the new soda. People love drinking water from a bottle. It's convenient and much healthier than sodas. People panic thinking about doing without it and it flies off the shelves. We drink about two bundles a week...the two of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary