Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:51 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,167 times

Advertisements

We live in Charleston, SC and have family in Alexandria, VA.

We've decided tentatively to evacuate, as it seems SC "may" be in the path of Irma. Just planning right now - in case. We'd likely leave Sun or Mon to get a jump on traffic.

The halfway point looks to be Raleigh. In know it's too early to tell, but any danger that Raleigh will be in the path making that a bad decision, or is Raleigh far enough inland to be "safe" for a night before we head up to VA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 01:54 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Raleigh will be safe.
And I would get out of Dodge before Monday.

You are going to have bugout traffic coming up from further south.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 PM

Thanks. Only two hotels have rooms. Which is best - (safest area) - Hampton Inn - Raleigh Cary/111 Hampton Wood Lane - PNC Arena area, or Hyatt Place Raleigh West - 710 Corporate Center Dr, Raleigh?

Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,730 times
Either is fine...they're right near each other on opposite sides of the interstate. Not a lot right around either one of them, but both are totally safe. Sheetz, McDonald's, Shell station all right there, but that's about it as far as super close.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Thanks so much. Appreciate the help! Always love visiting the Triangle.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:41 PM

332 posts, read 398,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thanks. Only two hotels have rooms. Which is best - (safest area) - Hampton Inn - Raleigh Cary/111 Hampton Wood Lane - PNC Arena area, or Hyatt Place Raleigh West - 710 Corporate Center Dr, Raleigh?
You might want to book something near a hospital so you have a better chance of having power if there are widespread outages here. Like Residence Inn in Cary.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
There is NO WAY to know right now if Raleigh will be safe! Or if Alexandria will be. The models I was just looking at on Wunderground have it coming right up the middle of NC. I'd wait to make your definite plans. Make a reservation you can cancel if you need to, or maybe make a few reservations and then head to the one that is farthest from the track. Fran did a number on Raleigh 21 years ago and Hugo did a number on Charlotte and even into the mountains 27 years ago. I think it's just too far out to say where the best place to hunker down would be, but probably a good call to get out of Charleston.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/ca...-peak-strength

Old 09-06-2017, 02:47 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There is NO WAY to know right now if Raleigh will be safe! Or if Alexandria will be. The models I was just looking at on Wunderground have it coming right up the middle of NC. I'd wait to make your definite plans. Make a reservation you can cancel if you need to, or maybe make a few reservations and then head to the one that is farthest from the track. Fran did a number on Raleigh 21 years ago and Hugo did a number on Charlotte and even into the mountains 27 years ago. I think it's just too far out to say where the best place to hunker down would be, but probably a good call to get out of Charleston.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/ca...-peak-strength
Of course, Raleigh will be safe for a one-night layover on Sunday night.

No model says anything different.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Poppydog, that's just what we did - booked Lexington, SC and Greenville, SC and Raleigh before heading up to Alexandria.

Trying to cover our bases. Am amazed hotels are already booked up...

Old 09-06-2017, 03:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Ah, I didn't get that you were thinking of Raleigh as a pit stop before Alexandria. You don't want to just drive it straight? Or you're not sure about Alexandria?

I think multiple hotels is the way to go. We'll know more soon hopefully. I really feel for the folks in the islands. I have a friend whose mom lives in Puerto Rico now, too. But not knowing the track is making me crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary