Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:29 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

We've scored a home exchange in NYC and are considering taking the Amtrak one way (DH likes trains). Anybody have suggestions, pro or con?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:50 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Dh was going to take Amtrak last time he went to see his parents ... couldn't see any negatives, although we've done NYC--->DC and the scenery is not that exciting on that leg. Seems a good bet since you won't need to find a place for your car once you're in NYC.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:01 PM

430 posts, read 626,698 times
We've done Cary->DC and back a few times. The train is generally quiet with comfy seats, essentially the equivalent of business class seats on a plane.

Some parts of the trip have no cell signal so expect that. Most of the time the electrical outlet at our seats worked so we were able to charge phones. There's some limited food available on the train but I'd really suggest bringing your own with you.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I tried to earlier this summer. Tried to make reservations on line. Their system showed all trains booked +/- 5 days when I tried to book. Then I called. The rep told me my problem was I could not go via Chicago! Never even mentioned Chicago. Then he proceeded to tell me ALL TRAINS WERE BOOKED, basically for the month of June!. And, he did not think this was a bit suspicious.

This was seven weeks ahead of trip.

Forget that (or words to that effect).

Flew RDU to LGA, first class. Utterly painless. Could not recommend it stronger.

I come from railroading ancestors and I really wanted to go up on train. Badly. But just could not the get passed the "everything is booked" seven weeks ahead of time.

Good luck, I doubt I will try again. Flying is just too easy.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
Both of my son's have taken Amtrak to and from Cary to NY many times and liked it. My husband will be taking it soon too, because he won't fly.

I prefer to fly because it is faster, but the pro for Amtrak is you don' the need to be picked up by anyone like at the airport. Can't beat NYC's public transportation.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:19 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We've scored a home exchange in NYC and are considering taking the Amtrak one way (DH likes trains). Anybody have suggestions, pro or con?
Yes, I've taken Amtrak to NYC before, both the Carolinian and the Silver Star. I'm a fan, in part because it's a fairly restful way to get to NYC without having to deal with any TSA craziness at the airport and you arrive right in Manhattan as opposed to arriving in New Jersey or Queens and then having to take a train or cab into Manhattan. General thoughts here:

If you go on the Carolinian, spring for a business class seat. They aren't that much more expensive and the business class car tends to be a little quieter. You also get a complimentary non-alcoholic beverage from the snack car.

If you go on either, be aware that there's no dining car on either train (there used to be one on the Silver Star but in a cost-cutting move, it was removed a year or two ago as an "experiment" and hasn't been restored). There is a snack car where you can get prepackaged snacks, drinks, etc. but if you want a fuller meal you'll have to bring it on yourself. The other option would be to try to see if you can make use of the long stopover in DC to go into the station to get food.

There's a long stopover in DC. This is done so that the diesel locomotives can be switched out for electric locomotives that take the train along the Northeast Corridor from DC into NYC. During the changeover there's no power to the coach and business class cars.

Any particular questions you're looking to have answered?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:33 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
I've taken Amtrak from Clemson to Boston........22 hours yeahhhh!!!

The parts in the southeast south of DC are absolutely terrible and slow but once you get to DC, it's a nice ride up to NYC.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I tried to earlier this summer. Tried to make reservations on line. Their system showed all trains booked +/- 5 days when I tried to book. Then I called. The rep told me my problem was I could not go via Chicago! Never even mentioned Chicago. Then he proceeded to tell me ALL TRAINS WERE BOOKED, basically for the month of June!. And, he did not think this was a bit suspicious.

This was seven weeks ahead of trip.

Forget that (or words to that effect).

Flew RDU to LGA, first class. Utterly painless. Could not recommend it stronger.

I come from railroading ancestors and I really wanted to go up on train. Badly. But just could not the get passed the "everything is booked" seven weeks ahead of time.

Good luck, I doubt I will try again. Flying is just too easy.
I've never had this happen - honestly shocked to hear this given Amtrak's abysmal ridership.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:49 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I've never had this happen - honestly shocked to hear this given Amtrak's abysmal ridership.
Especially considering the Triangle isn't on a line at all with Chicago. To even get to Chicago in the first place you'd have to go from here to DC on either the Carolinian or the Silver Star and then transfer to the Capitol Limited or Cardinal to get to Chicago.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Especially considering the Triangle isn't on a line at all with Chicago. To even get to Chicago in the first place you'd have to go from here to DC on either the Carolinian or the Silver Star and then transfer to the Capitol Limited or Cardinal to get to Chicago.
Sounds like there was some sort of miscommunication with whoever he was calling......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary