Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
My wife's friend was out for a jog on the ATT down at the Apex end near the 64 bridge and saw a young couple engaging in the highest levels of intimacy right there under the bridge. That's about all the excitement we see down here at this end. Well, that and horse poop.
With that information you might have a lot more people on the trail in Apex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 11:54 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
There's not that much to do in the Triangle if you don't have kids. OB, MB, Charleston, Asheville, Atlanta, DC are fun, but they are all some travel.
I guess all the greenways, breweries, conventions, cultural festivals, state farmers market, state fair, meetups, restaurants, nightlife, multiple downtowns within driving distance, festivals, concerts, DPAC, DBAP, and college sports are just my imagination then and require children to set foot in.

If you're going to set your sights on having a poor time, you'll have a poor time.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
There's not that much to do in the Triangle if you don't have kids. OB, MB, Charleston, Asheville, Atlanta, DC are fun, but they are all some travel.
There's also many museums, pools, golf courses, public and university libraries, public and commercial recreational parks, top restaurants of all specialties, and of course Falls and Jordan Lakes. Do you not get out at all or even use Google to search what's around you?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
I am sorry to bring this old post back to life, but, I am just wondering how people feel about this trail nowadays? Any changes? Do you feel like it's much safer now or not? My partner and I are planning to move to Durham this summer (or at least by the end of this year depending on when we put our house up for sale).

Living close to ATT seems very attractive to me. I am looking at the houses north of MLK Pkwy. We currently live in an urban area in Central Denver, but I know I shouldn't be comparing Denver's urban core to that of Durham.

Another alternative for us to go a little northwest - somewhere around Eno River State Park (in between Huckleberry Heights and West Hills). But, just wondering if it would get too dull for two DINKS. We are also not sure how conservative that area is. People on Reddit say that further north and west you go, it tends to get more conservative. We do not want to be around people who do not want us there. We have visited Durham once last October and really liked it. We are about to visit again (actually we'll be there tomorrow, haha). We are planning to check out a couple of trails this time.

If you have any suggestions about the trails or the neighborhoods around trails we need to check out, please let us know. We want to be in Durham though, we don't want to be in the suburbs or Raleigh at all. I appreciate any suggestions/opinion you may have.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
ATT north of MLK is probably the more sketchy part of the ATT

Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
ATT north of MLK is probably the more sketchy part of the ATT
ill put it like this i wouldnt walk there in the dark

if you have decent means i suggest woodcroft it has a greenway network and accessible to ATT

Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
ill put it like this i wouldnt walk there in the dark

if you have decent means i suggest woodcroft it has a greenway network and accessible to ATT

Thanks! That whole areas seems a bit vanilla/beige to me (at least on Google Street View). But, yeah, we were planning to check out as many neighborhoods as possible in between RTP and Duke so I'll add Woodcroft to the places to see.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Thanks! That whole areas seems a bit vanilla/beige to me (at least on Google Street View).
But you can repaint your house anything you want if after you buy it...

Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
But you can repaint your house anything you want if after you buy it...

hahaha, fair enough. It's not just the color... I guess it seems like (again based on my one trip to Durham and Google Street View) -- that things get a bit cookie cutter south of MLK Pkwy. Nothing wrong with that... and some people like it. It's just not my thing. That's why I was thinking about the northwest Durham as well. There seem to be some variety in house structures in that area compared to anything south of MLK Pkwy.

But, yeah, being close to trails is important. We are pretty active and have two dogs that usually go running with us. We also have road bikes and usually go for long rides on weekends. I am guessing it would be pretty chill and relaxing to cycle there than out here with all the elevation. I can't wait!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
If you are running together and usually have dogs, I would not worry about it much at all. Cycling, I wouldn't worry much either. Use normal urban area situational awareness. Durham downtown is growing rapidly with new condos and such. There's way more people out exercising that just a few years ago, in my experience (I ride in on the ATT fairly often). There seems to be more police bike patrols as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary