Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,415 times

Advertisements

I'm going to agree with most everyone else that staying away from downtown and getting a better deal on a nicer hotel will be the way to go (assuming everything works out with a new babysitter and all). There are several options right near 15-501 and I-40, on the Durham side, that all seem to be fine and within your budget (SpringHill Suites, Home2 Suites, Homewood Suites, Staybridge Suites, basically all the suites). You can also grab a bite, or your morning coffee right across the street at Namu! Killer Korean tacos + Counter Culture Coffee = Awesome!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/H...1!1s2017-09-23

If your not using any rideshare apps already just download Lyft, it's easy and there are plenty of drivers in that area. You can also get some discounts on your first several rides.

We go to a lot of shows at the Cat's Cradle, and my go-to post show nightcap establishment is usually the Dead Mule

Since you're a music fan you might already know the Carrboro Music Festival is that weekend too. It's worth sticking around for a while and checking it out on Sunday (the main day). The Backroom show on Saturday night will be pretty good too, and it's Free! My guess is you're going to see the show in the main room though (not that it matters). If you get into town earlier on Saturday there are a couple of bands playing that afternoon at the Carrboro Town Commons as part of the festival, there is also a separate festival going on not far outside of town at Southern Park called Critter Carnival --- which, IMO, has better music offerings than the Saturday afternoon lineup in Carrboro, Triple Fret are pretty sweet). Man I love it here!

Also, GO BLUE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post

Also, GO BLUE!
That is a fairly ambiguous statement when Duke and UNC are playing.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Any Michigan fan won't be confused

Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM

30 posts, read 21,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

There was no ambiguity as far as I'm concerned!!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the comments, J-Mart. We moved from Michigan to Danville, VA a couple years ago for work. The area has some advantages that we try our best to take advantage of, but music definitely isn't one of them. We're at least an hour away from anything we're interested in...most of the shows we've been to were at Cat's Cradle, one at the Ritz in Raleigh, and a couple in Charlotte. I definitely agree that your neck of the woods is a great one for music lovers. When we make our next move (which will likely be in a couple years) that will be a major consideration.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:23 AM

And I'll just throw this out there, but if anyone has a connection for cheap UNC bball tickets, I would LOVE to hear from you regarding the 11/29 game against Michigan! I went to UM's game at NC State two years ago, but tickets are a little bit harder to come by for this matchup, as would be expected. Looking at stubhub....is pretty depressing. But I can't see how I'd miss their first meeting since the infamous '93 "time-out" championship game. That broke my heart...

Old 09-15-2017, 08:26 AM

I just saw that poppydog actually beat me to mentioning the Carrboro Music Fest. Her suggestion of B-side Lounge is a good one too!

Martinsville is close to Danville and has a bit of a live music scene. Rooster Walk is a fun time for sure, and they put on some shows separate from the main festival throughout the year. The Rives Theater seems to get some good shows too.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:

We go to a lot of shows at the Cat's Cradle, and my go-to post show nightcap establishment is usually the Dead Mule

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads up

Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I just saw that poppydog actually beat me to mentioning the Carrboro Music Fest. Her suggestion of B-side Lounge is a good one too!

Martinsville is close to Danville and has a bit of a live music scene. Rooster Walk is a fun time for sure, and they put on some shows separate from the main festival throughout the year. The Rives Theater seems to get some good shows too.

Yeah, that's only about 40 minutes away. I've had my eye on Rooster Walk, might pull the trigger one of these years.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Linda's is not "just" for students. I'm the better half of a decade past college age now and I definitely still see plenty of people my age and older there; even on a game night. I'd say most of the times I've been there the majority of patrons are 25+. It ain't East End (RIP) or post 11:00 TOPO.

Dead Mule is a good option too though. It is really small and seems to mostly be "regulars". But a cool vibe for the well-past-college crowd. I've only ever been once and it was for a work function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary