Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I came from a place where people left their cars and houses unlocked and there was never a need to worry about it. I'm not saying Cary is unsafe by any means, but that doesn't fly here.
I am not challenging your statement by any means, but ask because you piqued my interest: where did you move from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 02:54 AM

385 posts, read 348,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonc View Post
Clarification, please. Which original premise is a stretch?
That low crime rates were the result of garage ownership.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:01 AM

17 posts, read 16,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcrasher View Post
That low crime rates were the result of garage ownership.
Thanks, I'm confused now. I don't think anybody has claimed that low crime rates in Cary (or any other city) are the result of garage ownership.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:17 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I came from a place where people left their cars and houses unlocked and there was never a need to worry about it. I'm not saying Cary is unsafe by any means, but that doesn't fly here. There are a surprising amount of people roaming around the streets at night looking for unlocked car an house doors. There are home invasions every once in a while.

To me I personally don't consider this low crime, but as with anything it's all a matter of what you're used to. Some people don't consider "crimes of opportunity" to be real crime, but I think that's silly.
Same with where we came from in NY, but it was a MUCH smaller town of about 25K, with its own police department. Also, the town was 95% homogenous in every way....non-residents stand out like sore thumbs. Cary is a much bigger town, and while it overall is affluent it's a mistake to think there isn't a range of all kinds of people, socioeconomic levels and so on. Truthfully a lot of crime like cars being tossed for spare change and whatever else gets left in there is often local kids. Kids with drug problems make it worse. Kids who know other kids whose parents leave cash and prescription narcotics around make it worse than that. Both here and in NY we've known people who've houses have been "broken into" (more likely, left unlocked) by kids who knew kids who lived in the homes. Each time this has happened has been in the afternoon, right after school got out.

As mentioned access is another issue. I can think of a few home invasions in Cary and both of them were at homes close to highways.....but generally when it's a home invasion the homeowners are known to have cash on hand because they are business owners and their routines are known. If someone broke into my home expecting to find large quantities of cash and jewelry they'd be sorely disappointed, makes no sense to take that kind of chance and confront the homeowner. And some people cannot help themselves but to flaunt what they've got making them easy targets as well.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:22 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
watch the news tonight... Pursuit suspects were possibly shooting at police. They are now in Cary near Tryon/Holly Springs/piney plains. Cary PD , Holly Springs, and wake SO all searching the area for suspects.

Radio scanner mentions Lochmere is search area. Two suspects just apprehended minutes ago.

Cary Fire-Rescue - Live Audio Feed Web Player

http://wncn.com/2018/02/09/2-infants...ry-police-say/

Last edited by K4GPB; 02-09-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 08:53 PM

346 posts, read 339,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
A

People still leave their cars out, but in general most have garages. Cary isn't really a city, it's just a large section of subdivisions, that's the primary reason that the typical physical crime doesn't occur.
lol a collection of subdivisions. I like it. Like the old HBO show Weeds intro .... "little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky ...."

Old 02-09-2018, 09:47 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
um, don't go there...

Old 02-10-2018, 04:44 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
lol a collection of subdivisions. I like it. Like the old HBO show Weeds intro .... "little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky ...."
Credit where credit is due...

Malvina Reynolds wrote that snotty little ditty in 1962, and in 1963 Pete Seeger turned into a hit.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:54 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
There is crime everywhere in Wake. Co., and many of the perps are unemployed, per:

48-hour snapshot:

https://dwslivescan.co.wake.nc.us/mug/StatsSearch.aspx

Old 02-10-2018, 04:26 PM

29 posts, read 25,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Degree from Google University?
University, the place you learn about suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary