Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 02:48 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
So anything ille or ail is ul?

(Topsail)
Yes! Dont tell me you have been pronouncing it top sail instead of topsul !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 03:07 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yes! Dont tell me you have been pronouncing it top sail instead of topsul !
Not for the past year or so...

But I had to be corrected.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Not named after shallots. Named after Queen Charlotte and the name became corrupted to Shallotte. MyReporter.com How did the town of Shallotte get its name?

Shallotte (emphasis on the second syllable) rhymes with boat, which is a nice thing to have there.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:58 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Not named after shallots. Named after Queen Charlotte and the name became corrupted to Shallotte. MyReporter.com How did the town of Shallotte get its name?
Not exactly named after the shallot...true. The town was named after the Charlotte River, which somehow morphed into the Shallotte River over time...one variation is from the wild shallots. True

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 10-04-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 05:12 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
France is very much like the states as far as accents go. Some places might have an ever so slight "r" sound and other areas will not at all. When I lived there I met a man (born and raised French) from Mulhouse, France and other native French could not understand him with his accent. His accent was so strong, but the Mulhouse area has had changing borders for centuries and the German accent is strong in the area even though they speak French.
Le jeune in French might have a very slight "r" sound, but it would be ever so slight. The Cajun way of speaking has a more pronounced "r" sound because they speak an older version of French. Which would make sense since Lejeune was from Louisiana. Kind of like how the Amish still speak High German.
Front rounded vowels in French always sound a little rhotacized to our English-accustomed ears. But there's not really an /r/ sound in there.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:07 PM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Quote:
What's the correct answer, Tinka?
ron KON cuh muh

Old 10-04-2017, 07:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Ahhh...

Old 10-05-2017, 06:55 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
I remember when I first moved to NY, being stumped as to how to pronounce Ronkonkoma. I pronounced it "RON-kon-KOME-ah". Yeah, no.
Yup, that's another one. There's a lot that are strange but I never realized until I had to talk to people on the phone who weren't from NY. I used to work in Hauppauge. When I gave my address, I wouldn't even say the name to people, I'd spell it. And they'd say "Hawp idge?". It's actually Hop-Hawg. Hop Hog. Yup. Nope, I'm not joking.

Quote:
What's the correct answer, Tinka?
There's really no stress on any syllable and like all typical NY accents, you've got that "uh" at the end. Ron-kon-ko-muh. Like Muth-uh. Fath-uh. Sist-uh.

Accents can be terrible.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Avent as in Avent Ferry Road: Is it AH-vent or AY-vent or something else?

Appalachian: Appal-AY-chian? Appal-AH-chian?

Raleigh: RAH-lay? RAH-lee? RAW-lay? RAW-lee?

I have been saying:

AY-vent which I think is wrong
Appal-AY-chian which is how it was pronounced where I came from
R-AW-lee which I read was the right way on the forum years ago
a-vent
a pal a shan
rally or rar-lee

Old 10-05-2017, 03:36 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Just noticed this .... folks here keep starting thread with " hello all"... that sounds so wrong in my mind. Cringy... i prefer a good hey yall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary