Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post

A big stigma for this area is it's seen as a nice place to have a family and not work too hard. This is not going to work in its favor to bring in the best and brightest tech companies. And as already stated there is negligible VC funding in this area which stalls innovation. There are multiple pieces that still need to come together here. Still going to be slowish and cheap living for a while which is ok by me.
Have you ever been to CA?!?

That is THE definition of "not working too hard"! They excel at lifestyle balance, one of the reasons I love it there so much. Hell my wife's co-workers show up around noon east coast and go offline around 4. Nice easy four hour days for them out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

That is THE definition of "not working too hard"! They excel at lifestyle balance, one of the reasons I love it there so much. Hell my wife's co-workers show up around noon east coast and go offline around 4. Nice easy four hour days for them out there...

I work with groups based out of SJ within my company. Most start at 10:00-10:30 and are out before 4:00. Some do work a full day but by and large the "commute is horrible" line allows for those hours.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:36 PM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I'm very familiar with working in the tech world on the west coast actually I have lived it. The extreme time commitment expected at a company like Amazon have been written about extensively. Generous compensation is tied to your round the clock time commitment to the company and sticking it out. And at a fast growing startup you have no life for quite a while, like years.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:21 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,994 times
Quote:
I'm very familiar with working in the tech world on the west coast actually I have lived it. The extreme time commitment expected at a company like Amazon have been written about extensively. Generous compensation is tied to your round the clock time commitment to the company and sticking it out. And at a fast growing startup you have no life for quite a while, like years.
I’m director-level at a Silicon Valley tech company and round the clock availability is the norm. When I was out there I started at 8am and wrapped up around 11pm daily. Some of that was at home and some in the office, but the effort is ongoing. Once people made it into the office (if you could catch a respite from the onsalught of first thing meetings/calls), you didn’t leave the office until 6:30-7 when folks took a pause for dinner. There’s a reason companies like Google and Facebook have fully subsidized cafeterias or on-site “Main Street USA†style food offerings covering every type of cuisine at restaurant quality.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I’m director-level at a Silicon Valley tech company and round the clock availability is the norm. When I was out there I started at 8am and wrapped up around 11pm daily. Some of that was at home and some in the office, but the effort is ongoing. Once people made it into the office (if you could catch a respite from the onsalught of first thing meetings/calls), you didn’t leave the office until 6:30-7 when folks took a pause for dinner. There’s a reason companies like Google and Facebook have fully subsidized cafeterias or on-site “Main Street USA” style food offerings covering every type of cuisine at restaurant quality.
There is a catch 22 for this area. If you manage to make it the 4 years or whatever b4 your options vest and can write your own ticket there is no equivalent to jump ship to here if you are bored.

What companies are innovating and literally changing the world here?

Right now the high flyers are all clustered in desirable urban areas and have no need to be in a slower paced smaller town. Moving sucks. Let's see I can change jobs and move across country or I can stay put and cross the street and probably get paid more plus get a signing bonus.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:41 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
There is a catch 22 for this area. If you manage to make it the 4 years or whatever b4 your options vest and can write your own ticket there is no equivalent to jump ship to here if you are bored.

What companies are innovating and literally changing the world here?

Right now the high flyers are all clustered in desirable urban areas and have no need to be in a slower paced smaller town. Moving sucks. Let's see I can change jobs and move across country or I can stay put and cross the street and probably get paid more plus get a signing bonus.

Reading how the other cities are reacting. Dallas news has an insightful article and cites why the army chose Austin:

Quote:

"Austin, Texas, was chosen based on its quality of life and proximity to commercial technology, research and development and academic innovation," the Army said in a video announcem

Army leaders have described the Futures Command as a "hoodies and jeans" alternative to the stuffy, spit-and-polish culture of a traditional Army post. They want to create the kind of disruptive innovation emblematic of Silicon Valley's entrepreneurial culture to help them build the Army of the future.
To do that, they need to go where the talent lives.

Sounds like what you are describing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...utures-command

And Raleigh media mentions a tiny blurb about incentives and that thy offered 3 years of free rent or something at centennial campus. Also mentioned Austin & Boston being larger tech hubs. Boston already has a tech hub for he army I read.

Quote:

But when it comes to investing in such hubs, Austin and Boston are established players with start-up tech sectors that for the moment are perhaps larger than the Triangle’s, Sidner said.

The Triangle’s is “growing at a faster rate,” which allows recruiters to argue that “if you’re looking at the future, the future is here,” she said.

Again, though, speed was a factor for the Army.

“We do not have time to build this ecosystem,” McCarthy said Friday. “It needed to be ready immediately.”

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...#storylink=cpy

As far as Amazon, I still think the fact that Raleigh has fewer tech talent than ATL, Chicago, Boston, DC, Austin and some of the other is the biggest detriment to the bid. I’m not even aware of Columbus, Indianapolis or Nashville are even relevant in the tech industry. Maybe they are. I would’ve guessed Cleveland or cinnci over Columbus. Especially Cleveland.

My top 5 revised: (1.) Washington (2.) Boston (3.) Atlanta (4.) Austin (5.) Chicago

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-13-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Looks like Garner is getting an Amazon distribution center at the former ConAgra site:
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...216372620.html

Would this be the second in our area? There's one already over by Brier Creek.

Wonder if the name "Project Axis" yields any bigger hints of anything or if it's essentially that this new distribution center will fall in line with several in the area.

The speculation game continues.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:22 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
More and more signs pointing to DC....

Old 08-09-2018, 07:03 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
More and more signs pointing to DC....
You gonna elaborate or leave us with some speculative "dots" there homie.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Think the location between Dulles and Fairfaix is where they are building a data center complex which is also prime (no pun intended) to the Metro....think Arlington has this.

Bezos also has a ton of political friends and is part of the reason Trump hates him because he is more well liked in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary