Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,952,476 times

Advertisements

BTW, if you're getting tired of the same old stuff from the big box stores, check out Big Bloomers in Sanford. They grow all kinds of plants in their greenhouses - too many to list here - and their prices aren't bad at all. The downside is that it's quite a drive from the Triangle, but trust me; it's worth it. You'll find things there you can usually find only in catalogs. The same is true for Plant Delights, which is a lot closer but generally more expensive. Their spring open house dates:

Friday, April 29 8am-5pm
Saturday, April 30 8am-5pm
Sunday, May 1 1pm-5pm
Friday, May 6 8am-5pm
Saturday, May 7 8am-5pm
Sunday, May 8 1pm-5pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 20,863 times
Thumbs up Braodwells

I went to Broadwell's and I have to say I loved it. When you drive in there is a guy to meet you. If you tell him what you want he directs you to where it is located and how much the plants cost. I found a weeping cherry tree for $25 (10 gal pot). Planted it two weeks ago and it’s doing fine. I brought sky pencils for $8 (3 gal), holly bushes for $3 (3 gal), Japonica Camilla’s fairly tall for $8 (3 gal). I then went to the one across the street. I got Camilla's in bloom for $4 (one gal), hydrangeas in gallon for $4, 3 gallon of Delaware Azaleas for $4. Golden mop I think for $4. Everything is doing super well. The hydrangeas have taken off already. I am in Durham and I have to tell you it is worth the trip. The savings I got off that weeping cherry paid for my gas, the rest was just plain saving.

Also I had this guy do all the planting for me. He dug out my flower beds and planted everything just as I asked him to, laid a patio, moved plants around, dug up and disposed of things I did not want and did super work and is VERY reasonable. He came on time every day, worked hard while he was here and I would recommend him in a heartbeat. He only charged me $17 an hour but when he finished he did such a super job I gave him a really nice end of job bonus and it was still cheaper than if I had paid a professional landscaper. He is in Apex and travelled here to help me. His name is Josh and can be contacted at centerstageleft@yahoo.com

I also heard about Big Bloomers in Sanford. I have never been there before but I am going this weekend. It’s my understanding they specialize in perennials http://bigbloomersflowerfarm.com/. They don't have any prices on their site but I heard they were VERY reasonable as well.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Thanks for the help. My parents went and made it sound like you were on your own and you had to hope you got what you wanted. That scared me.

We'll check it out for sure! $25 a tree is great!

Linda
I know this post is old but I had to comment. There are people walking around that are shoppers and also workers. You just have to ask and everyone there is willing to help. I looked things up once I got the names of things (on my cell phone) just to double check the information and nothing I was told was wrong.. Also you can nip off a leaf and bring it back to the front if no one is walking around and someone will tell you what it is and how much it costs.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:16 AM

PS Most of the trees are marked. Plants and shrubs no but trees yes

Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjay2u View Post
PS Most of the trees are marked. Plants and shrubs no but trees yes
In contrast, Old Stage Nursery across the road does tend to mark plants (individually or with signs). Always worth checking out both.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Just can't help myself---I have to tell you that now is not a good time to plant anything. Just too hot and very stressful on plants even if you water a lot. I'm going to be replacing some shrubs in the fall which is the best time to plant. Just a word to the wise.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Just can't help myself---I have to tell you that now is not a good time to plant anything. Just too hot and very stressful on plants even if you water a lot. I'm going to be replacing some shrubs in the fall which is the best time to plant. Just a word to the wise.
Totally agree with this! Waiting for the fall is so much better for the plants (and you) if you end up having to supplement water all summer long!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 AM

Default so tru

Did not mean to discount the other two nurseries. I went to the two that sells trees and hedges but never made it to the one that sells mostly flowers...mainly because of time. They are all good. Also as far as planting now, that's theoretically correct. I just can't wait so I am taking my chances. So far no adverse effects. Everything surviving. Looking for a weeping redbud and abelia this weekend then my planting days are over for the season. Anyone know where I can get a weeping redbud?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,867 times
Didn't mind being on my own. I pretty much know what i want. The advice to" just pay the nice Mexican man on your way out" was exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Looking around on tues. but couldn't figure out WHERE to pay. Also, sounds like I can " make an offer" for what I buy. Going back next week to find pecan tree, fig, and any other fruit tree they may have right now.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM

14 posts, read 33,248 times
Default Looking for Kwanzan cherry tree

Would any of you know if the Broadwells' or the other nurseries carry 'Kwanzan Cherry' ?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary