Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 5,881 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are from CA looking to move to RTP area in 5 years (waiting for my youngest to finish school)
Meanwhile, we are buying a TH to rent out with local realtor.
Looking at a place in 27606 zip code, at Western blvd and 440. Targeting young professionals as renters, but not students. What do you think? How is the neighborhood?
Thank you!

Last edited by DigitalSquirrel; 10-10-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
That's right at the edge of State's campus....not sure how many people would want to rent there aside from recent State grads (but that may be all you need!)

Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM

163 posts, read 154,419 times
Western Blvd & 440 townhomes probably puts you right beside a decaying Kmart shopping center and a discount movie theater. Not ideal for the demo you are targeting, IMO.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:20 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
you can get grad students and some young professionals. But if you want to make sure it's just young professionals, then look elsewhere. FWIW, that area of Raleigh is going to be a hot mess soon when they expand 440 through there.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:29 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odisn View Post
Western Blvd & 440 townhomes probably puts you right beside a decaying Kmart shopping center and a discount movie theater. Not ideal for the demo you are targeting, IMO.
Drove by there over the weekend and it got me wondering how long until that giant piece of land where the K-Mart sits is redeveloped? Seems to be a prime spot.

The area over there is a little strange at the moment with a mix of run down older properties and some new construction (not sure of these were tear downs or fill ins/divided up lots or what). Location-wise, I can see some appeal for a young professional that wants to play downtown often but might work in RTP and needs\ easier access to the Beltline and I-40.

OP, are you able to tour the property in person or are you trying to buy remotely? I would not buy in that area without seeing the property and neighboring properties in person.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:28 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSquirrel View Post
Hello,
We are from CA looking to move to RTP area in 5 years (waiting for my youngest to finish school)
Meanwhile, we are buying a TH to rent out with local realtor.
Looking at a place in 27606 zip code, at Western blvd and 440. Targeting young professionals as renters, but not students. What do you think? How is the neighborhood?
Thank you!
27606 is a large area. Get away from Western Blvd and don't bear the cost of Cary Go south down US 1 and Tryon Road runs along the south of Raleigh for a very long run. A very desirable area with a small % of students. I live in 27606 in an acre lot private home with 2,800 sq ft. in 27606.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:53 PM

42 posts, read 53,168 times
there is a great set of townhomes further up Avent Ferry road near the corner of Avent Ferry and Tryon that I lived in for a few years that are wonderful. It's not far from that location you're looking at and it is still in 27606, very close to the lake. I think it was called Meadowood...

Old 10-10-2017, 01:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I used to be of the mind that there were good investment locations and bad investment locations in Raleigh. Now, I think that almost all Raleigh addresses are good long term investments as the city grows. This is especially true for those addresses nearer the city center. The desire to be nearer the city center will only make an area more valuable over time.
For example, as Dire Wolf says, the land where the K-Mart sits is RIPE for redevelopment as it's close to the city center and the university. That will happen, sooner rather than later. However, it would foolish to think that the investment as a rental won't be affected by the university. As the state's largest university, NC State dominates that section of Raleigh, especially along Western Blvd. This would likely remain the largest pool of renters in the area for some time to come.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 5,881 times
Thank you everyone! You are awesome for replying and providing great info and advice! Will definitely take this into consideration.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:13 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
I'm in 27606, on Lake Johnson. If you consider apartments in this area, send me a private message and I can give you specific info on my complex.

I'd also suggest reading reviews on apartmentratings.com and consider some complexes give people credits on their rent for writing a favorable review. You can usually see a pattern with those though.

I just moved here 2 months ago so if I can help with anything, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary