Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:15 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
Don't know much about Francis, but reading his platform, it doesn't strike me as noticeably different from McFarlane. Is it a case of voter just wanting something different? I don't recall any standout issues that seemed like they were a thorn for her(police pay?). I'll admit, that I think she does an incredible job of keeping herself away from controversy.
The main thing Francis ran on against McFarlane was better use of the City's budget - one of the major things was that McFarlane wants to combine all the City offices into a new building downtown. Francis argues that this is a waste of money and isn't needed.

I think most people think this is going to be her last term as mayor so Francis can certainly run again in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM

95 posts, read 131,386 times
I give McFarlane a ton of credit for Dorothea Dix Park. Easy to forget what a cluster that was with the legislature overturning the sale and the entire thing having to be re-negotiated. Just like Meeker and re-opening Fayetteville Street, that will be her legacy.

Was surprised to see Bonner Gaylord lose (although that too could go to a runoff) and wondering what that means for the future given that it seems he's be considered McFarlane's likely successor for a few years now.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Woodrow View Post
I give McFarlane a ton of credit for Dorothea Dix Park. Easy to forget what a cluster that was with the legislature overturning the sale and the entire thing having to be re-negotiated. Just like Meeker and re-opening Fayetteville Street, that will be her legacy.

Was surprised to see Bonner Gaylord lose (although that too could go to a runoff) and wondering what that means for the future given that it seems he's be considered McFarlane's likely successor for a few years now.
Dorothea Dix Park seems to be a dividing issue - half of the people seem to love it and share Nancy's vision for it. The other half see it is as a colossal waste of government money.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
Don't know much about Francis, but reading his platform, it doesn't strike me as noticeably different from McFarlane. Is it a case of voter just wanting something different? I don't recall any standout issues that seemed like they were a thorn for her(police pay?). I'll admit, that I think she does an incredible job of keeping herself away from controversy.
Her and the current council say they support police officers and firefighters but they're actions as far as pay scream otherwise especially when the council "sneaked in" a reduction of benefits for the firefighters which greatly reduced the amount of vacation days they could accrue. Fortunately for them the ruling was overturned.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Her and the current council say they support police officers and firefighters but they're actions as far as pay scream otherwise especially when the council "sneaked in" a reduction of benefits for the firefighters which greatly reduced the amount of vacation days they could accrue. Fortunately for them the ruling was overturned.
One of the people on city council admitted to not reading it. Dickie wasnt even present for that vote and he was reelected.

Hopefully this bond includes millions of dollars of wonderful road art! We need more $70,000 bongs they installed on Sandy Forks.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Hopefully this bond includes millions of dollars of wonderful road art! We need more $70,000 bongs they installed on Sandy Forks.
I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea......

Old 10-11-2017, 07:24 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Quote:
We need more $70,000 bongs they installed on Sandy Forks.
The $50,000 "Light+Time Tower" on Capital Blvd at Fairview was quite the controversy in 1995.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:38 PM

459 posts, read 373,418 times
Blount/Person area of Downtown Raleigh will eventually (20-30 years) support several 20+ story residential/mix use towers with high pedestrian traffic so two way conversion will benefit those changes to the city.

Sorry car drivers, if you live south and work north, that's dumb thing to do in the first place--if I did that in another major city I would never get to work on time--I'll spend all day in traffic. Secondly, traffic engineers want you to take the highways, not surface streets. That's why Hillsborough St received roundabouts, so people would take a different road like Western. Blount/Person are not bypass streets, they're streets to benefit the people of Downtown Raleigh.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:51 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:

That bong sits right across the street from my house and at first I thought it had something to do with the drainage pond until I realized it was supposed to be an art sculpture, but it sure makes a fitting mascot for The Lakes apartment complex. Somebody didn't think things through on that one.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:11 AM

150 posts, read 227,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Sorry car drivers, if you live south and work north, that's dumb thing to do in the first place--if I did that in another major city I would never get to work on time--I'll spend all day in traffic.
This doesn't make any sense. Most of the traffic is from the North going South. The main part of downtown is on the southern edge of the city if you haven't noticed. It's much easier to get to downtown from Garner for instance than North Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary