Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:14 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odisn View Post
North Hills USED to be a mall. Now it is an outdoor shopping area.

I certainly miss the old North Hills enclosed mall from back in its heyday, but if you include the new version here then you may as well include places like Crossroads.
I feel like there's a notable difference between Crossroads and North Hills......with Crossroads you drive around and park in front of the store you want to go to. At North Hills you park in a centralized parking garage and from there walk to the stores you want to go to.....like a mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboy2017 View Post
I feel Sears has less than 5 years left!
Considering that Sears Canada has filed bankruptcy and is closing all of their stores, I think it's a safe bet.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Quote:
I'll bet that once Sears inevitably goes away, Saks 5th Avenue will look to jump from TTC to either Crabtree or Southpoint...or both.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what Saks is waiting on. I find it hard to believe that Saks would turn down a space at Southpoint or Crabtree and stay at TTC.

You can bet Crabtree will be doing everything possible to lure Saks once Sears goes under.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:54 PM

197 posts, read 208,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

Northgate has really gone downhill after Belk closed its store there. It's essentially a dead mall being held up by a struggling retailer.

OT: I really miss South Square
I laughed looking at the title, Northgate doesn't belong in the same breath as Southpoint and Crabtree (I don't have an opinion on CCT as I've never been there)... It used be a good mall though. It's just barely hangin' these days, really sad. I don't necessarily miss South Squire (I love Target more!), but it was a nice mall, too, I used to shop at both. As to Southpoint vs. Crabtree, it's a tie for me as each offers something different.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
I laughed looking at the title, Northgate doesn't belong in the same breath as Southpoint and Crabtree (I don't have an opinion on CCT as I've never been there)... It used be a good mall though. It's just barely hangin' these days, really sad. I don't necessarily miss South Squire (I love Target more!), but it was a nice mall, too, I used to shop at both. As to Southpoint vs. Crabtree, it's a tie for me as each offers something different.
Northgate used to be a pretty decent mall back in the late '90s/early '00s. After Belk closed in 2005, stores just pulled out one by one until Macy's closed earlier this year. I stopped going a few years ago because the mall truly has nothing to offer.

I could see redevelopment going on at Northgate within the next couple of years.

South Square wasn't the most upscale mall, but the area around it was doing better in the '90s than it did in the '10s

Old 10-19-2017, 02:38 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I feel like there's a notable difference between Crossroads and North Hills......with Crossroads you drive around and park in front of the store you want to go to. At North Hills you park in a centralized parking garage and from there walk to the stores you want to go to.....like a mall.
There is indeed, I agree.

Different categories of shopping centers exist. North Hills is rather unique to this region and is probably one of the most dense pedestrian outdoor malls around here.

Crossroads is similar to Brier Creek, to a lesser extent Park West Village and Parkside Town Commons. Although there's a range to these types as well, with Brier Creek being in its own class of auto-centric pedestrian terribleness. Park West was suppose to be more dense like North Hills but the NIMBYs around it and the economy had a bad effect on development plans at the time.

Then there's the big indoor malls of Crabtree, Cary Towne, Triangle Town, etc.

Below all these are just straight up strip malls, out-parcels, standalones, etc. Above all these are the mega-heat-death of the universe outlet malls. Then you have something like the Mall of America which dwarfs everything.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
North Hills USED to be a mall. Now it is an outdoor shopping area.
Yep. I think the only remnants from the old North Hills Mall from before its transformation are the JC Penny and it's mini parking deck out the bask side. Kane Realty stated recently though that they plan to tear down JC Penny and its deck when the lease expires though in a few years. So the last vestiges of the old mall will soon be gone.

It'll be good for North Hills as I can imagine he can "fix" that part of his development to be less awkward for both pedestrian and automotive traffic. He'll also be able to earn more rent by leasing to more tenants potentially in the area that JC Penny once occupied.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:23 AM

326 posts, read 384,750 times
I enjoy Southpoint when I actually go to a mall, but at least part of that is because it's the most convenient to my home.

Like others, I also think Sears will be out of business within 5 years but I've been saying that for going on 10 years now so who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if Macy's doesn't go out of business, too. I feel like the quality there has gone significantly downhill to the point that there's nothing to differentiate it from others anymore. In my mind, Macy's had an aura of being a tier above places like JC Penney but in reality there's no difference between them anymore in terms of quality.

A bit off topic, but the show Adam Ruins Everything did an episode on why malls proliferated in the 20th century (a legal loophole made them a huge tax shelter), the result of which was that there were way more malls built than what was sustainable (even before the proliferation of online shopping) thus leading to the inevitable conclusion we see today--a large number of mall wastelands.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:32 AM

346 posts, read 339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
crabtree is weird and cramped like a dungeon not to mention perpetual flooding and difficult to get in and out of

i like southpoint because i can ride my bike to there and it seems more well rounded / holistic
This exactly. You nailed it outside of the biking. Crabtree is cramped.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:34 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
I can flip a coin between Crabtree and Southpoint.
But, I have never been flooded at Crabtree.
"...perpetually..." seems to miss me when I am there.

And, access in and out is really pretty easy. Glenwood Avenue is just overused and really the worst way to go to Crabtree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary