Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northridge1 View Post
I currently live at Northridge. Unfortunately have a neighbor upstairs who creates too much noise in her apartment. Complained twice to Northridge Mgmt - they have done nothing about this problem.
Some noise is unavoidable in apartments. Northridge is much quieter than others we've rented,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM

123 posts, read 611,440 times
I lived at Northridge crossings for many years. I think it has degraded since we first moved there (ever since the 540 went in). The rent kept rising as well. The crime went up. My son's bike was stolen. People above us were drug dealers (they got evicted of course). People across from us were roommates who actually got into fist fights and banged up against our door at 2 in the morning (they got evicted as well). There are also the community drunks who you will see at the pool in the summer and staggering down old wake forest road to get their next six pack (they are nice folks though just not a good influence if you have kids). The bottom floor isn't quiet - but that is expected because it is an apartment. You can hear the people upstairs piddle in the washroom and talking and walking .... You also have to be careful when doing your daily walks if you do that because I found that if I did the loop down sumner blvd and around the buildings on the left behind lypo scence and the Montessori school there was questionable people sitting in cars occasionally back there...funny smell if you know what I mean. You can always just go onto the news and observer crime incident site and search an area to see what kind of crime have happened there. triangle.com | Know

It all depend on what you are looking for.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM

355 posts, read 1,502,514 times
My husband and i stayed in Thornhill apartments (on Hillburn Dr) for a month last september. It is very close to Camden Crest. The complex was nice, very quiet. Clean comfortable place and location is great.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
All, I may be repeating myself from another post, but having one hell of a time finding townhouses in the general RTP area......any leads on good ones?

Old 05-30-2008, 01:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Highly prefer ones including W/D. Realtors to date haven't been much help...

Last edited by autumngal; 06-04-2008 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: no bumping please

Old 05-30-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear75 View Post
I lived at Northridge crossings for many years. I think it has degraded since we first moved there (ever since the 540 went in). The rent kept rising as well. The crime went up. My son's bike was stolen. People above us were drug dealers (they got evicted of course). People across from us were roommates who actually got into fist fights and banged up against our door at 2 in the morning (they got evicted as well). There are also the community drunks who you will see at the pool in the summer and staggering down old wake forest road to get their next six pack (they are nice folks though just not a good influence if you have kids). The bottom floor isn't quiet - but that is expected because it is an apartment. You can hear the people upstairs piddle in the washroom and talking and walking .... You also have to be careful when doing your daily walks if you do that because I found that if I did the loop down sumner blvd and around the buildings on the left behind lypo scence and the Montessori school there was questionable people sitting in cars occasionally back there...funny smell if you know what I mean. You can always just go onto the news and observer crime incident site and search an area to see what kind of crime have happened there. triangle.com | Know

It all depend on what you are looking for.
I'm a Neighborhood Watch captain at Northridge, and crime is minimal.

As you see from the comment quoted, rule violators are evicted. The drunk's gone too.

Fair housing makes it hard to reject applicants who pass the credit, criminal, and rental history checks. In some apts, losers are never evicted, so the evictions are a plus. Just try to evict a bad neighbor when they own the house, townhouse, or condo.

I'd be hesitant to walk behind Lipo-Science or any of the business park across the street after business hours. In fact, the owner has posted signs forbidding trespassing after normal hours. This business park has NO connection with Northridge Crossings. There are sidewalks in Northridge which can give you a great walk and they are lighted by high pressure sodium lamps equal to NYC streetlights to assure safety.

We're now at almost 100% occupancy, so this must be the great community I have found it to be for the last 4 years.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 AM

123 posts, read 611,440 times
Well that is good they finally got a neighborhood watch group going at Northridge crossings. Lived there from 2002 to 2007 and I wish they had that running when we lived there! It is good to get all the residents involved in keeping the community safe through neighborhood watch meetings and get-togethers.

Meridian is a public road that loops through the business park; therefore, they cannot tell you you can't trespass (only in the parking areas). But I wouldn't recommend that route.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
I am glad I own a home, I don't know how people can put up with all that noise, thin walls, bugs, undesirable people in the complexes, inconsiderate tenants or guests in the apartments. I rented on Long Island, but a private home for years, I treated and cared for that place like I owned it. I would always hear horror stories of these complex type settings and that's what kept me away. I would hear good things once in a blue moon, but noise was always a factor even in the nicest places. I rented initally in Brier Creek when moving down, although the rents were a bit higher, the place was nice, clean, the downside was noise from the surrounding neighbors, stereo on after midnight, tv's blaring, dogs barking. I could not put up with that long term. I give you all alot of credit to be renting and putting up with all this. If I am ever in the situation to ever rent again, I would have to do extensive research before settling on one particular place. I would probably consider renting a small home, before considering these complex type settings. Good Luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear75 View Post
Well that is good they finally got a neighborhood watch group going at Northridge crossings. Lived there from 2002 to 2007 and I wish they had that running when we lived there! It is good to get all the residents involved in keeping the community safe through neighborhood watch meetings and get-togethers.

Meridian is a public road that loops through the business park; therefore, they cannot tell you you can't trespass (only in the parking areas). But I wouldn't recommend that route.
You are correct, the restriction applies to the business park's parking areas.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I am glad I own a home, I don't know how people can put up with all that noise, thin walls, bugs, undesirable people in the complexes, inconsiderate tenants or guests in the apartments. I rented on Long Island, but a private home for years, I treated and cared for that place like I owned it. I would always hear horror stories of these complex type settings and that's what kept me away. I would hear good things once in a blue moon, but noise was always a factor even in the nicest places. I rented initally in Brier Creek when moving down, although the rents were a bit higher, the place was nice, clean, the downside was noise from the surrounding neighbors, stereo on after midnight, tv's blaring, dogs barking. I could not put up with that long term. I give you all alot of credit to be renting and putting up with all this. If I am ever in the situation to ever rent again, I would have to do extensive research before settling on one particular place. I would probably consider renting a small home, before considering these complex type settings. Good Luck.
In our complex, noise and crime are minimal.

I feel much safer here than in a single family home because of the free burglar alarms and high pressure sodium halide street lighting that is as good or better than a street in Manhattan.

Having more traffic makes it less likely that a scream for help will be ignored.

My daily 4 AM workout in the fitness center feels quite safe. Now, another apt I lived in 8 years in Mini-City was the opposite because of poor tenant selection. Blunts smoked nightly in the laundry room/fitness center.

If you're snacking as you browse, press "back" now.

One day, I went to the Mini-City apt's fitness center. The mgt had closed the restroom weeks before because of vandalism.

So, I came home and told maintenance to send a tech with some quarters to the fitness center/laundry room. Bewildered, the clerk asked why the quarters. I then told her that one of the valued residents had used a washing machine for a toilet, depositing #2.

So, you need to find a good community. All rental properties are not the same. My late father-in-law was an apt super so I've seen both the tenant and landlord side of the equation. Helped grandpa clean apts many times and was appalled by the filth and damage a bad tenant can leave behind.

Just imagine buying a home and finding out your next door neighbor was a sex offender, drug dealer, or running a meth lab. No guarantees who will buy the home next door, eh?

Look carefully and good apts are out there. Good hunting, Tally Ho!

Last edited by saturnfan; 06-04-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary