Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:46 PM

43 posts, read 35,610 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family of 4 is moving to Cary in Jan/Feb 2018 and we are trying to determine what would be a good salary.

My husband is a Sr. Project Manager in Construction, he makes $120K plus bonus and we live comfortably (meaning we have enough to save/invest/give and travel). Kids are in private school and are enrolled in at least one extra-curricular activity/sport per semester. I own a small business but I use that revenue for kids college and pay off the mortgage early (I am not counting on that income as I will take me 2-3 years to rebuild my client base). We live in a $300K home and love traveling. Happiness for us means financial security, great friends, community involvement and travel.

Based on this, what do you think it would a good salary range for us? It seems to be that Cary is 4% more expensive than The Woodlands but salaries are lower. I hope my husband can find something comparable or slightly higher there.

I appreciate your input.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 12:50 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,976,558 times
a lot really depends on your housing investment and subsequent mortgage

there is no reason a family of four cant live off of 100k but i cant say to maintaining your life style / other investments

What if you made 120k and bought a house for 450? Then what?

also note the income tax

Old 10-19-2017, 01:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,660 times
It probably just depends what kind of house you expect to live in and whether your kids really need to go to private school when there are so many excellent public school options.

You do have to pay income tax, but I think property taxes are lower, so it's probably a wash.

Also I wouldn't expect a COL adjustment when negotiating salaries. Most people probably consider it to be comparable to Houston.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:30 PM

49 posts, read 52,602 times
All of the cost of living difference calculators on-line indicate about an 8.5% COL difference overall.

So basically 130k in Houston would feel like 120k in this area.

I would think that due to recent widespread flooding in Houston, the demand for construction and skills shortages in the area over the next 5-10 years or so should make it easy for your husband to get an offer for the difference in COL between the two areas.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
What's driving the relocation, does he have a job with a salary lined up?

Private school for the kids is going to be pricey here. Not sure if you're talking Catholic school or secular...that's going to be a huge chunk of your income here.

What size house are you looking for?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What's driving the relocation, does he have a job with a salary lined up?

Private school for the kids is going to be pricey here. Not sure if you're talking Catholic school or secular...that's going to be a huge chunk of your income here.

What size house are you looking for?
Yes, we are Catholic and that was one of the main reasons we chose private school for them. We'd love to continue that way (we have 2 kids) if possible. If not, I know schools in the area are excellent.

Our home is 2300 sqf. but honestly we were happy in our 1650 sqf in California. I am from Europe so I can live happily in smaller homes.

My husband has just started interviewing. What drives the move is that we never felt at home in Texas. We tried for 4 years and are now ready to move on. We were very happy in the Bay Area but it was too pricey unless I kept my corporate job. I chose to be a SAHM with a side business that is my passion and I can grow through the years (I make $50K net profit this year and I was PT).

Old 10-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
It probably just depends what kind of house you expect to live in and whether your kids really need to go to private school when there are so many excellent public school options.

You do have to pay income tax, but I think property taxes are lower, so it's probably a wash.

Also I wouldn't expect a COL adjustment when negotiating salaries. Most people probably consider it to be comparable to Houston.
Yes, that's a great point! Home cost and education really impact that salary decision everywhere...

Old 10-19-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post

Okay, that actually makes it easier.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
I'd plan on 8-10k per child for catholic schools here if that's helpful. I know we looked at two that were both in that range not including the mandatory giving and time commitments they want.

300k will not go as far here as it does there for a house. It will get you a smaller, older house that may or may not be updated most likely. As long as you're ok with that you will be fined the public schools especially in Cary are great too so you may bel able to save that and get a really updated nice house instead.

Most of the project managers I know are in the same ballpark as your husband but they're also all in IT so I don't know how much that varies by industry.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Yes, Catholic school is a bit more expensive here than some other places. I'd plan on at least $8000/child, not sure much the sibling discount is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: