Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 02:48 PM

390 posts, read 366,530 times

Advertisements

By all means, I think its important from a public health standpoint to understand the source. That doesn't mean sending an email blast to the district naming a child/teacher/parent to beat up, which unfortunately is what I think many want in these situations.

That said, it seems many here don't really understand TB. This isn't smallpox. There are still ~10,000 cases a year in the US. Exposure is not exactly rare when you think about an airborne disease impacting that many people. Deaths only occur in a small number of people who go on to develop active TB and typically occur in folks with other significant health problems that lead to compromised immune systems.

Blame immigrants if you want, but remember that it could just as easily have been some kid whose parent is a doctor at the VA. Or someone volunteering at the homeless shelter with his church group. Vaccination for TB is not the norm in the US and exposures happen. They usually cast a wide net defining exposure and unlike some other diseases this one does not typically spread like wildfire. The test is easy, relatively painless and chances are everyone involved will emerge just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 06:57 PM

122 posts, read 98,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Practically speaking if it didn't come from bad living conditions here, it probably came from a (legal) immigrant from Africa or Asia.
Just a quick note; legal immigrants get tested for TB as part of the medical screening for a green card. I was a legal immigrant, that’s how I know. (Fortunately I had had the BCG as a child, it’s part of routine immunizations in my country of origin.)

Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,373 times
I've been vaccinated and am now cursed with old age. Dammit!

Old 10-23-2017, 01:36 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yet_another_userid View Post
Just a quick note; legal immigrants get tested for TB as part of the medical screening for a green card. I was a legal immigrant, that’s how I know. (Fortunately I had had the BCG as a child, it’s part of routine immunizations in my country of origin.)
Yes, but as I understand it (and I could very well be mistaken) they kind of leave that to the health systems of the respective country. And they may not test or may not test well or may outright lie for a donation to the benevolence fund. Again, I could be wrong, and this isn't a condemnation, just that as I understand it not all countries do it with the same rigor.

In any case it just as easily could have happened "organically" in the US.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:00 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
The rate of TB has dropped significantly but looks to have leveled out with a slight uptick in 2015. https://www.cdc.gov/tb/statistics/tbcases.htm

Old 10-23-2017, 04:11 PM

54 posts, read 50,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yes, but as I understand it (and I could very well be mistaken) they kind of leave that to the health systems of the respective country. And they may not test or may not test well or may outright lie for a donation to the benevolence fund. Again, I could be wrong, and this isn't a condemnation, just that as I understand it not all countries do it with the same rigor.

In any case it just as easily could have happened "organically" in the US.
Actually the vaccination and health screenings are very carefully regulated by the USG in the country where refugees or immigrants apply for visas/refugee status. The medical process can be lengthy, and only certified providers are used. These providers are vetted and monitored by the US Embassy. Chest xrays are taken and examined, and any hint of TB is looked into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary