Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,161 times

Advertisements

I saw posts from this site back in 2011 explaining why or why wouldn't a NBA team work in the triangle. 6 years later and I wonder are we in the same situaito

From just general research on my own, I have seen a few numbers that may suggest that the area can support a team. (Please feel free to correct me, if I'm mistaken about any figure)

The combined metro between Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is roughly 2.1 million which is just shy of the Charlotte-Concord combined metro.

Surrounding metros that are within the 2 hours of Raleigh Fayetteville-Lumberton-Laurinburg (combined) 500k, Rocky Mount-Wilson (combined) 300k, Wilmington 250k, Jacksonville 180k, Greenville 170k.

Those metros are East of Raleigh and not too much of the "charlotte" market. As a kid, the main reason I was not able to attend Bobcats games was due to 5 hour drive to Charlotte. Most games fall on weeknights which makes games very difficult to attend when you're on the opposite side of the state.

and lastly the Raleigh-Fayetteville TV Market I think would also be suitable. Ranked as the #27 tv market in the country, this places the area higher than Memphis, Salt Lake city, New Orleans, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City. (all cities with NBA teams) ([url=http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets]Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index[/url])

What do you guys think. I'm young so I know there's information I missed that's important in hosting a professional sports team but I'm a NC native and would love to see a team in the Raleigh area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villematic32 View Post
I saw posts from this site back in 2011 explaining why or why wouldn't a NBA team work in the triangle. 6 years later and I wonder are we in the same situaito

From just general research on my own, I have seen a few numbers that may suggest that the area can support a team. (Please feel free to correct me, if I'm mistaken about any figure)

The combined metro between Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill is roughly 2.1 million which is just shy of the Charlotte-Concord combined metro.

Surrounding metros that are within the 2 hours of Raleigh Fayetteville-Lumberton-Laurinburg (combined) 500k, Rocky Mount-Wilson (combined) 300k, Wilmington 250k, Jacksonville 180k, Greenville 170k.

Those metros are East of Raleigh and not too much of the "charlotte" market. As a kid, the main reason I was not able to attend Bobcats games was due to 5 hour drive to Charlotte. Most games fall on weeknights which makes games very difficult to attend when you're on the opposite side of the state.

and lastly the Raleigh-Fayetteville TV Market I think would also be suitable. Ranked as the #27 tv market in the country, this places the area higher than Memphis, Salt Lake city, New Orleans, San Antonio, and Oklahoma City. (all cities with NBA teams) (Top 100 Television Markets - Station Index)

What do you guys think. I'm young so I know there's information I missed that's important in hosting a professional sports team but I'm a NC native and would love to see a team in the Raleigh area.
All you need to do is look at how the Hurricanes are doing attendance wise. Good when they're doing well but abysmal when not doing well. Not to mention that college basketball has a strong foothold here with UNC, Duke, and NC State

Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
All you need to do is look at how the Hurricanes are doing attendance wise. Good when they're doing well but abysmal when not doing well. Not to mention that college basketball has a strong foothold here with UNC, Duke, and NC State
I feel like interest has a huge reason in the attendance of hockey. Don't know any high school in NC with a hockey team or much promotion around it all. NC loves it's basketball. The fact that the Hurricanes have lasted for as long as they have is amazing but ... you cant compare Basketball and Hockey in NC. It's not even close.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
The Carolina Cougars of the ABA played some home games in Dorton Arena back in the early 1970's. They couldn't even fill the seats. Of course that was almost 50 years ago.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:25 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villematic32 View Post
I feel like interest has a huge reason in the attendance of hockey. Don't know any high school in NC with a hockey team or much promotion around it all. NC loves it's basketball. The fact that the Hurricanes have lasted for as long as they have is amazing but ... you cant compare Basketball and Hockey in NC. It's not even close.
People are invested in their college basketball teams and will spend money there for season tickets, single game tickets etc... Those basketball fans are also not going to all also invest in an NBA team (that getting off the ground will most likely struggle). Charlotte has no other basketball competition in the area.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
People are invested in their college basketball teams and will spend money there for season tickets, single game tickets etc... Those basketball fans are also not going to all also invest in an NBA team (that getting off the ground will most likely struggle). Charlotte has no other basketball competition in the area.

Thanks for that feedback!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Triangle will not support NBA team.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:35 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
No NBA here. This region is all about college b-ball. And it’s a better game anyway. Pro b-ball, eh not so much.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:35 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
there's a professional team in the triangle already. They wear light blue.

I kid, sort of.

No way pro hoops makes it in the Triangle. You've got 45% UNC fans, 40% State fans, and 10% Duke fans. Tickets to any pro game are (any of the big 4 sports) are high enough that nobody is going to attend 16 home games for "their team" and then 40 more for the pro team.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No NBA here. This region is all about college b-ball. And it’s a better game anyway. Pro b-ball, eh not so much.
Exactly!

No NBA team will get a fraction of the passion that the ACC teams have in the Triangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary