Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
<>None of these personal homes appeal to me, and none are in a style I would choose to build. I just don't care for specific and personal self-righteous public humiliation of others' home choices.
I agree the tone is harsh, but someone has to be the critic here. Otherwise these cartoon houses will crop up everywhere.**
I can just imagine the conferences among the owners/builders/architects that create these houses. There is no one to say "That's a bad idea, here's why , and here is a better way to do what you want."

**"Too late!"

Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I wonder how much of her snark is just a persona to hype the blog?

Also, if you think those Roof lines look weird from the outside, try to go up in one of those attics and look around. Half the time, it’s so full of 12 different truss designs that intersect everywhere, none of which actually incorporate open space, you can’t even move more than 10 feet from the opening. I was in a 6500 sf House the other day that literally had a 6’x8’ platform, with the HVAC equipment and that’s it for attic storage!

But honestly, I don’t even hate all the houses from the original post.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:30 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I thought they were all pretty unattractive. What is with all the different roof lines? This has been going on for 40 years and has never been a good look. You can build a MUCH more attractive home for the money.

Here are some that I find more palatable, although if I were designing my dream home I don't know that it would be one of these.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4-68061#photo0

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M68916-16342

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8-42389#photo0 <-- some extraneous rooflines on this one, but overall more symmetrical and cohesive than many new builds, which often unfortunately look like they were collaged together from 20 different magazine pictures.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7-34562#photo1 <-- the front of this one is better than the back. The long wide porch ties the front together. Some extraneous roof lines again and I don't love the rounded dormers, but that might just be me. The back is too chopped up. Would have benefited from sticking with one style of dormer and maybe a big back deck or patio instead of one little balcony that can only be accessed from inside (presumably a bedroom, I didn't scroll through all the photos) and a small back porch blocked in by the outdoor fireplace.

Older classic homes:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M54859-08612

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M57057-62449

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M59888-09358

Methinks they added an extra 0 onto the price of this one by mistake: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M60211-34124
I like all those... well, maybe not the 2nd, though I like modern.

That last one, I am thinking it's the acreage.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wow, some of the judgemental comments scream tiny penis syndrome. Don't like the house, fine, but making character assessments from a photo is beyond sad.
It happened. You and I agree again.

It's about twice a year. Like a stopped clock.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:32 AM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I thought they were all pretty unattractive. What is with all the different roof lines? This has been going on for 40 years and has never been a good look. You can build a MUCH more attractive home for the money.
I'm with you on this...and think the blog is very funny.

Somehow I think the folks who buy these sorts of houses wouldn't care about the blogger's design comments. And those of us who do care about design, don't buy such houses...which come in mini-versions too, all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
I have to agree with you here. And then having the gall to ask for "donations".....
Yeah... what was that new site all about? I'm not paying to read someone's blog ramblings.

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And these people will, too. This area won't support a house, no matter how pretty, that was built on a lot the people paid a million dollars for, that floods every time there's a heavy rain.

That one is actually a genuinely baffling project to me.

Also? No curb appeal because it's not in a neighborhood at all. It's on a street where the people beside them own the DRIVEWAY to both houses. Nobody can see it unless they're specifically going to that house. Very odd.
It does look like they raised the pad a bit before they started on the new one, so maybe that’s enough. But yeah, it’s a curious one for sure.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Sent this link to my dad (high-end builder and architect in Cary/N-Raleigh for almost 30 years)...

He designed and or built 2 of these houses. He wouldn't tell me which ones! (though if any of them are in Bay Leaf Farms or Devon....he built most of the homes in those neighborhoods so I'd guess those).

Also my favorite comment is the "Copper-top bay window...a North Carolina staple!".... very accurate!. haha.
This was my favorite of her comments, really. It's so true. You find those everywhere.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Surprised at the comments here.

While I feel confident in making the blanket statement that most people who consider themselves "professional bloggers" are full of ish....the satire in this blog seems like an odd thing to get offended by.

I'd imagine a lot of the same folks who are offended by something like this are the same ones who say "PC culture is ruining America". Ok then.

If I owned one of these houses I'm pretty sure I'd be too busy enjoying my very comfortable lifestyle and my professional success to worry about what a blogger thinks. I certainly hope I wouldn't be naive and out of touch enough to think that this is something discriminatory or offensive.
I don't really mind it at all. It's just a blog. I do mind the grabbing of homes off the MLS that people are trying to sell.

How does this blog (which has gained some notoriety over the past year or so) affect sales of homes? Are people put off of owning a house featured on this blog?

I know she takes stuff down at the request of the owner of the photos, though.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Meh.
I am pretty disgusted, but not particularly "offended."
And, I NEVER say anything about "PC Culture."

Good manners transcend various beliefs. This is just ill-mannered behavior akin to a drunk peeing on her car's hubcaps.
But, we worship intellectual vandalism a bit too much in this social media driven ego-focused world.
I would predict that these houses are homes to real people, with real feelings, and some pride in property.
A good blogger would have the ability and taste to compile design elements into a collage of a house and critique it without scraping folks' homes from the internet to slam them tastelessly and rudely.

I am curious, though.
After spending some time searching, I have not found any online mention of the snotty blogger's architectural designs that have actually been built.
Maybe I am missing it, or maybe it is a very slim portfolio of demonstrated success in design?
She's a native of NC, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary