Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,395,032 times

Advertisements

Whelp. Once the Toyota Camry was transferred into the dealership, I changed my mind and decided to go with a Honda Accord, and I couldn't be happier. It's actually what I wanted to begin with, but none of the dealers I called wanted to negotiate the price enough. I got discouraged and was willing to settle for a Nissan Altima or Toyota Camry; although I knew I liked the Honda Accord body style much better!

For example, I called Hendrick Toyota, and the sales manager offered me $150 off the sticker price. SAY WHAT??! I was insulted. Then the sales woman working with me said, "well, the car is actually at one of our sister dealerships; which means we don't know the status of a vehicle, so it's difficult to negotiate the price." Um, isn't that just a matter of a phone call?? Okay, then why did you allow me to talk to you back and forth about this particular vehicle???! And also told me to send her a counter offer! Then she went on the say that they could transfer it in if I'd be willing to pay $149 transfer fee. And if I decide I don't want the car?? "Well, you can put the transfer fee toward something else we may have on the lot. Okay, so if I don't find anything the dealer retains the $149? Yes. No thanks, because I'm looking for a specific Honda Accord, and you're a Toyota dealership. I've already combed your website, and haven't found any other car I like. GOODBYE.

I ended up closing a deal last night at Bryan Honda in Fayetteville with a salesman that couldn't have been any nicer. The dealership was a bit hectic though, because a huge sale started yesterday that will last through the weekend. So the phone communication was a lot of back and forth, as well as emails, texts, etc. I arrived at 6:20pm yesterday evening, and didn't leave until 10pm. What is it with dealerships, and the whole everything takes FOR-EV-ER?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:24 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,533,894 times
When the keep you there a long time: it is called "grind-down".

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/b...ealership.html

Old 11-18-2017, 11:33 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,395,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
When the keep you there a long time: it is called "grind-down".

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/b...ealership.html
But there was no grind down; I had my plan of what I was and wasn't gonna do before I got there. Including not excepting all those warranties, coverages, and GAP insurance they offer. Most of that time I was literally just sitting and waiting. The family at the cubicle next to me said they had been there 6 hours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary