Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:08 PM

873 posts, read 1,016,885 times

Advertisements

Last night's results were pretty close to a slam dunk for progressives in Wake, Durham and Orange counties, and not just in the major races. For example, in Apex the three Democrats were the top vote getters (and Graham Wilson, an HB2 backer and Pat McCrory's ex-spokesman, finished last). And in Morrisville, new Mayor TJ Cawley and council member Jerry Windle have vowed to follow a more progressive path than the present members.

In fact, it was a pretty solid night for Democrats across the state. Fayetteville's longtime Republican mayor lost bigly, as one person might say, and in Greensboro the only Republican on the city council lost too. But since I'm not as familiar with those areas and others across the state, I've refrained from posting this in the state section and kept it here.

Any thoughts from other C-D members about the election results in the area?

https://www.indyweek.com/news/archiv...gle-and-beyond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 02:22 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
I live in Apex and voted for the three that won, but I'm not a democrat. I voted for them solely on the issue of trying to reign in rampant, poorly designed growth. Former republican members rubber-stamped all kinds of crazy growth that has finally started to encroach on our quality of life. I don't view local elections as a political party mandate. I'd venture to say most people vote for their candidates in local elections based on a single issue or two. They won by a landslide in Apex mainly based on their views on our future growth. No doubt many of their votes came from republicans, independents, libertarians, etc.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:23 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
I feel that the people who turn out for local elections are more motivated by specific issues as opposed to voting for the party line

Old 11-08-2017, 02:37 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Interesting, i beg to differ. People still vote along party lines in local elections.... i canvassed for a few candidates and that was obvious when knocking on doors... people vote for their party even if that is less true for local elections.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Interesting, i beg to differ. People still vote along party lines in local elections.... i canvassed for a few candidates and that was obvious when knocking on doors... people vote for their party even if that is less true for local elections.
What about those of us who have no party?

Old 11-08-2017, 02:47 PM

What if the people running in local elections are unaffiliated?

Old 11-08-2017, 02:52 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
I don't know about other towns, but in Durham the candidates weren't listed with party affiliation. If I had to guess, most of the candidates are on the left side of most issues.

I did notice a good number of incumbents lost in various elections in the area.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:28 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Based on your previous posts as to where you live - I am not surprised. I would venture to say that rural areas tend to vote party lines over issues.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Based on your previous posts as to where you live - I am not surprised. I would venture to say that rural areas tend to vote party lines over issues.
I know in Raleigh many Republicans supported Francis despite him being endorsed by the Democrats because they see him as more fiscally conservative than McFarlane. Local elections are weird

Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I know in Raleigh many Republicans supported Francis despite him being endorsed by the Democrats because they see him as more fiscally conservative than McFarlane. Local elections are weird
Yes, they can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary