Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 28,959 times

Advertisements

My wife, 2 boys (9 and 6) and I are thinking of moving to RTP area for 2009 school year. Lots of questions , concerns. Locating from NJ, work as a physical therapist so job opportunities should be good. House budget $350 to 400K, we would like newer craftsmen style homes, outdoor activities, willing to travel for arts and music. Want to fit into a good family community since we will have no family down in NC.. Questions.........

1. What is difference btw traditional and year round schooling?
2. Do kids schools really get changed that often? Any towns that don't?
3. How close to Outer Banks? Love the beach.
4. Closest airport?
5. I seem to like Holly Springs, then Cary, then Apex. Any thoughts on Sunset Oaks in Holly Springs? Can someone suggest the best family town?
6. How are property taxes assuming $350 to $400k
7. How close to Charlotte. Love football, would have to become Panther fan
8. Expected commute time to RTP?

Know these are a lot of questions but really just a start. Will be traveling down in early summer for a look see. Thanks for all help and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
Hi! Welcome. Not to be rude, but there are many threads just like this. Some of your answers can be found using the search function, and others just using google maps. Charlotte is about 3 hours away. Apex and Cary are the closest to RTP. 4 hours from the Outerbanks, but maybe 2 and 1/2 from Wilmington and surrounding beach communities. Panthers football is fun. Kids do get changed often, but yours are young and will adapt easily. If worse comes to worst you can try and get them into the Magnet program or a private school, but they you may have to learn to be more adaptable since we are growing soooooo much. Closest and only airport is RDU International Airport. It is in Morrisville. Morrisville is a great town, and about as pricey as Cary or Apex. Apex and Cary may be a 15 minute commute. Possibly more depending on where you live...since city limits are spread out and the Triangle is very spread out. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
I'll help!

1. What is difference btw traditional and year round schooling? Traditional runs from August/September to June. The kids get a three month break off during the summer. Year round school has "track outs" where they get 1-2 weeks off at a time during the year. They attend school during the summer.
2. Do kids schools really get changed that often? Any towns that don't? It's possible. Right now, alot of the schools in Wake County have been redistricted. My old neighborhood has an elementary school half a mile down the road and a high school right around the corner. Kids are now attending an elementary school 8 miles away and a high school clear across time. Hence the reason why we moved.
3. How close to Outer Banks? Love the beach. The Outer Banks is approx. 4 hours away. Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington) is about 2 hours away (from Raleigh) straight down I-40 east.
4. Closest airport? RDU (Raleigh/Durham International airport)
5. I seem to like Holly Springs, then Cary, then Apex. Any thoughts on Sunset Oaks in Holly Springs? Can someone suggest the best family town?I've only driven past it, it looks very nice. Best family town depends on what you are looking for. The triangle offers something different for everyone. I would suggest doing some searches on here for Apex, Morrisville, Clayton, Garner, Cary..etc.
6. How are property taxes assuming $350 to $400kDepends where you live. It will probably be a bit higher in Wake County(Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Fuquay, Holly Springs, etc), but possibly alot less (in some areas, zero) in Johnston County (Clayton, Smithfield, etc)
7. How close to Charlotte. Love football, would have to become Panther fan About a three hour drive. Also, in Charlotte, check out Carowinds. Its a great family amusement park for the kids.
8. Expected commute time to RTP?Depends where you live. From Raleigh, it could take anywhere from 10-25 minutes, from Johnston County, it could take 30-45 minutes, from Holly Springs/Fuquay area, it could take approx 25-45 minutes (I believe there are only two ways out of HS/FV which is hwy 55 and 401. One of my co-workers said its a nightmare in the mornings)

Hope that helps! Good luck on your search!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjensen View Post
. . . . work as a physical therapist so job opportunities should be good
Do your homework and make sure this is the case.

My wife is an occupational therapist. When we were thinking about moving to Raleigh I said "Honey, don't you think you should look for a job now instead of waiting until we get there?"

She said "Oh no, you silly man, I'm an occupational therapist and there are jobs EVERYWHERE for occupational therapists".

Well, we got here and it took her 9 months to find a job, and that was one that she hated (nursing home), but took it anyway because she was tired of looking.

Companies here use occupational therapists differently than in TX. It seems that the only openings are in traveling home health and nursing homes. My wife was in outpatient rehab, and the only jobs for outpatient rehab seem to be occupational therapists that specialize in hand rehab.

Now, I'm not saying that this will be the case for a physical therapist, because they are different, but I'm warning you not to assume that jobs will be plentiful.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
6. How are property taxes assuming $350 to $400k
I can help you with this one.

Real Estate Search

If you find a house you like online, go here, put in the address and you can see how much the house is assessed for. If you click on "tax bill" (after you put in the address), you can see the property tax rate, and amount for previous years (2007,2006). Just remeber, the tax bills have not come out for 2008 (July) so you have to calculate it yourself based on the assessed value and the tax rate.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:48 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,138 times
Just curious. What part of Jersey? I am from NJ too.. came here 2 yrs ago and landed in Willow Spring about 12 miles (south I think) of Holly Springs area. My mother in law lives in Holly Springs in a condo near Sunset Ridge. I have friends in the "oaks" area you mentioned and the home are lovely ( not my style .. houses are too close and prop.small). I came here from Hunterdon County NJ but started NJ in Woodbridge Twp.

Feel free to PM me any questions.. I attend Church in Apex and know a lot about the areas from the people I am friends with.

Linda

Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
You should also be aware that Holly Springs has the highest town tax rate in Wake County.
Your taxes are made up of two components-the county rate and the local (or town) rate. The two rates are added together and then multiplied by your home's assessed "value" to come up with your tax bill.
The current Wake County tax rate is .678 (67.8 cents per $100 valuation).
Local tax rates as follows-
Holly Springs .53
Cary .42
Apex .40

On a house with an appraised value of $350K,
Holly Springs taxes would be $4228
Cary taxes would be $3843
Apex taxes would be $3773

Not a huge difference, but a difference.

Also know that these rates WILL change for the next tax year. Wake county has just revalued all real property in the county, and as a result will be lowering the rates in an effort to create what they call a "revenue-neutral" rate. The towns will have the option of lowering rates as well-that decision will depend on each town's budget needs.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:25 PM

13 posts, read 28,959 times
OOPS, hit enter too quick..N-C mommy I'm from Ridgewood in Bergen county, prices and such are just out of control...New User, thanks for info about therapy jobs, I am definitely looking in advance as I'm the primary breadwinner so to speak....Sanrene, great website for tax info...I'm sure I'll have multiple questions and yes JQPublic I know there are many common threads I just wanted to see my name in lights. I guess I won't truly know much until I visit....SCHOOL REDISTRICTING I don't care for, any chane it's going to get better and stabilize?? Thanks again everyone!!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM

23 posts, read 102,362 times
Hi,
We are in the process of buying in Sunset Oaks (love the look and family friendly neighborhood!) Can't help with all you questions, since we still are in California until everything goes through, but perhaps we will be neighbors. Anyway, we did a lot of research on the entire Wake County area and feel we made a good decision for our family. Our kids are 12, 13, and 15. Property taxes are higher, but not as high as CA. Also, the community will benefit from the tax money as it continues to grow and hopefully improve. Many signs of road widening and other improvements already. We timed the drive to RTP from Sunset Oaks, and barring any huge jams, it was 25-30 minutes. As to the closeness of homes in the development, our yard is .61 acres with wooded buffer behind, and next door is not as close as I have had all my life in all 8 homes I have lived in. The quality of the construction is outstanding and a good value for the money. Of course, what is ideal for one family may not work for another, but hope this helps a bit!
Susanne

Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM

90 posts, read 267,174 times
Leasure - which part of California are you from? We are from the bayarea and planning to move there end of July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary