Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:10 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,688,694 times

Advertisements

When 540 is completed around the south/southeast and 885 is completed around the east side of Durham, that's about the end of new limited-access construction in the Triangle. We will see some conversion of four-lane highways to limited access (US 64, 70), and some widening of two-lane highways (NC 50, 98), and some widening of existing freeways -- although in many places the existing freeways are already at maximum feasible width. We may also see some tolling of widened freeways. Whether these incremental projects can cope with the growth, we will have to wait and see. Incrementalism is about the best that NCDOT can do with concrete.

As for public transportation, it will always be an uphill fight in a sprawling area like this. The area was destined (doomed, some would say) to sprawl because of the laissez-faire approach to growth since the 1960s. It was a political necessity at the time. Improved bus service is a start, and in 15 years I expect local trains on the NCRR corridor Durham-RTP-Morrisville-Cary-Raleigh-Garner-Clayton and perhaps beyond. In 30 years you might see rush-hour trains on the Wake Forest, Wendell, and Fuquay-Varina lines. But I see no hope whatsoever for light rail in Wake County or the City of Raleigh, and I doubt that CH-Durham light rail will ever amount to anything significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 07:45 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
As for public transportation, it will always be an uphill fight in a sprawling area like this. The area was destined (doomed, some would say) to sprawl because of the laissez-faire approach to growth since the 1960s. It was a political necessity at the time. Improved bus service is a start, and in 15 years I expect local trains on the NCRR corridor Durham-RTP-Morrisville-Cary-Raleigh-Garner-Clayton and perhaps beyond. In 30 years you might see rush-hour trains on the Wake Forest, Wendell, and Fuquay-Varina lines. But I see no hope whatsoever for light rail in Wake County or the City of Raleigh, and I doubt that CH-Durham light rail will ever amount to anything significant.
It'll be a reality only when people are forced to consider it when traffic gets really bad.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:35 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,290,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
It'll be a reality only when people are forced to consider it when traffic gets really bad.
But isn't "really bad" a relative term, depending on what you are use to and where you came from or if you have been in the Triangle all your life?

If you are coming from say SoCal, NOVA, or Long Island/Northern New Jersey, you might think the Triangle is pure heaven, traffic-wise, currently and it will take 50 years or more to be as bad as where you came from.

Where as, if you moved to the Triangle from some little town in the middle of nowhere America with one traffic light, you might feel the traffic currently in the Triangle is already insane and really bad!

Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
But isn't "really bad" a relative term, depending on what you are use to and where you came from or if you have been in the Triangle all your life?

If you are coming from say SoCal, NOVA, or Long Island/Northern New Jersey, you might think the Triangle is pure heaven, traffic-wise, currently and it will take 50 years or more to be as bad as where you came from.

Where as, if you moved to the Triangle from some little town in the middle of nowhere America with one traffic light, you might feel the traffic currently in the Triangle is already insane and really bad!
Obviously, but people at the moment are still willing to put up with it and not even consider abandoning their cars yet. So we haven't reached that tipping point no matter how you feel one way or another.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,542,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

I think Pierre was referring to something more tangible, not just what different people consider "bad" traffic. I took it as we'll only really start to invest in those modes of transportation in th Triangle when it becomes easier/quicker and cheaper to take those modes of public transportation than drive your car to the office. IMO, the tipping point comes when one can take public transportation to work and get there at least just as fast as with their vehicle.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:16 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,290,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Obviously, but people at the moment are still willing to put up with it and not even consider abandoning their cars yet. So we haven't reached that tipping point no matter how you feel one way or another.
I think when both Durham and Orange counties voted for a half-cent sales tax increase back in 2011 and 2012 respectively, it showed that people already decided the time is now for light rail. I voted yes back in 2011. Hopefully they will get the maximum federal funding that they can to see the new light rail line come to fruition.

It took the Phoenix metroplex until the year 2000 when they hit 3.2 million, to pass a half-cent sales tax increase to create the Transit 2000 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) and future light rail. They didn't start construction until 2005 and didn't open the 20-mile long starter line until 2008.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The cities and towns can do the best they can but are also at the mercy of NCDOT and the railroads. Perhaps there is a reasonable way to better integrate all of the necessary activities to ease the growing pains. But without demand, NCDOT won't be there (other parts of the state need infrastructure too) and the railroads are essentially private so you know what that means.
Money solves all problems.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 AM

6,817 posts, read 9,029,344 times
The way things are going in my neighborhood... it's seems like those new people are moving into Brier Creek. Trees are being cut all the time now for new developments, some residential, some commercial like the "new" Harris Teeter. I think no matter where you are, you have to accept growth, or stick your head in the sand.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:18 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,922,244 times
I remember one morning on vacation at Atlantic Beach in 1993 or so...

I opened the News & Observer (state edition most likely), and a feature showed the Triangle as a map of 6 counties, Wake, Durham, Orange, Johnston, Franklin & one other with a population of

1,004,000. They had to add outlying counties (to reach 1million) to the core 3 which until then were the Triangle in and of themselves.

The feature also had population projections, and Wake was expected to have 1 million residents in 20 years or so.

I remember saying to my uncle, "How are 1 miilion people going to fit in Wake County?

We both shook our heads in disbelief.

Today it's the reality, and not a big deal.

We really need to get Raleigh and Durham back to one MSA. Most people aren't aware Durham/Chapel Hill isn't included in the numbers.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 PM

62 posts, read 102,512 times
Congrats on your upcoming move! My wife and I moved from Frisco's "$5 Billion Mile" a little over a year ago, and have no regrets. Compared to the DFW's gridlock traffic, RDU is a piece of cake. Hopefully NCDOT stays in front of the growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary