Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
In other words, the river may be wide but only an inch deep.
oh I don't disagree - again, mid-sized city. Raleigh is not going to stand up to NYC when comparing options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Breweries apparently have been big here for a few years, well this has been a thing for over 20 years in larger cities.
We had Greenshield's as an early anchor in a resurgent Downtown Raleigh ~25 years ago, before the fire took it out, so it isn't like breweries are completely new here. But NC finally changed their draconian alcohol laws in 2005 and the craft beer scene in this state has exploded across the state since.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:40 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Yeah, I've never gotten the AC/Raleigh lovefest. The food is fair to good, a solid meal, but I would never go out of my way to dine at any of the AC restaurants. I feel like it's similar to "The Pit" - you're taking mom n pops quality meal and trying to make them fancy and trendy.
Are you talking all of them, or one or two in particular? I mean, there's a big different between a casual AC place like Chuck's or Beasley's and a gourmet place like Death & Taxes.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:53 PM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Are you talking all of them, or one or two in particular? I mean, there's a big different between a casual AC place like Chuck's or Beasley's and a gourmet place like Death & Taxes.
See, that's the thing, I don't see Death & Taxes as a gourmet place. Maybe by AC standards, sure. I was going to go but the people I asked about it were pretty much like, it was "OK". Nothing great. The only positive I've heard about it is that the steak is pretty good.

But like I said, it's just something about a person's name that people swoon over. She could have a menu item that had two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce cheese, pickle, onions on a sesame seed bun and people would crown it the official burger of Raleigh.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:58 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
See, that's the thing, I don't see Death & Taxes as a gourmet place. Maybe by AC standards, sure. I was going to go but the people I asked about it were pretty much like, it was "OK". Nothing great. The only positive I've heard about it is that the steak is pretty good.

But like I said, it's just something about a person's name that people swoon over. She could have a menu item that had two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce cheese, pickle, onions on a sesame seed bun and people would crown it the official burger of Raleigh.
She's opening up a pizza place next to Poole's next year

I don't like Poole's but I think Chuck's and Beasley's are good. I don't think they're out of the world amazing but I'm not a chef or food critic so my opinion doesn't count.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
This area has a long way to go but it's heading in the right direction. We are years behind larger cities in foods and drink trends.
I get it when people say we need some more ethnic options, but where are things lagging behind in terms of "trends"? I'm not talking about Cary or the bedroom communities. I'm talking about Raleigh and Durham.

I'm genuinely curious What is "trending" right now in Boston, NYC, LA, Chicago and other major cities that I can't find here.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've never gotten the AC/Raleigh lovefest. The food is fair to good, a solid meal, but I would never go out of my way to dine at any of the AC restaurants. I feel like it's similar to "The Pit" - you're taking mom n pops quality meal and trying to make them fancy and trendy.

What Raleigh really lacks are the the diverse ethinc places. And that's not a knock to Raleigh, it was never an immigrant destination. In my humble opinion the big cities like Chicago, NY and Boston have such a great scene due to the international flair and availability of great ingredients.
It may not be a popular opinion and I haven't eaten at all the AC places, but I think sometimes a good business model and knowledge of what's popular in Raleigh is mistaken for exceptional food. I think Bad Daddy's Burger Bar is better than Chucks, for example. Although I'll admit Chuck's does have the best chocolate shake I've ever had.

Have you been to Garland? I haven't, but I heard good things about it and met the chef / tasted some of her food at an event this week. Garland Raleigh

Old 12-07-2017, 03:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
She's opening up a pizza place next to Poole's next year

I don't like Poole's but I think Chuck's and Beasley's are good. I don't think they're out of the world amazing but I'm not a chef or food critic so my opinion doesn't count.
I follow her on Instagram and she was in Italy doing research for weeks, posting photos of pizza every day.

Although I enjoy pizza, I've eaten enough of it to know what I like and it's not fancy pants pizza. I predict lines around the block when the place opens. I still haven't eaten any pizza since we got here but I'm thinking about Johnny's Pizza in either Cary or Apex.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 PM

253 posts, read 236,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post

Have you been to Garland? I haven't, but I heard good things about it and met the chef / tasted some of her food at an event this week. Garland Raleigh
I love Garland. I wish they'd open for lunch all week instead of W-F, though.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
oh I don't disagree - again, mid-sized city. Raleigh is not going to stand up to NYC when comparing options.
I think that the argument that most of us in this thread are trying to make is not about the relative number of dining options, but rather how good Raleigh options are when compared to similar options in other cities. It's basically an apples to apples comparison.

For example, if Boston has an establishment similar to Raleigh's Brewery Bhavana (which i'm sure they do), how does the Boston establishment compare to Brewery Bhavana in terms of quality, service, number of menu items, etc. This is a very subjective question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary