Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I would guess that it's because people are holding their phone and checking that it's entering the correct text.
Partly, I notice that my car often doesn't pick up 100% what I say so it's not always accurate and then you gotta focus on fixing the mistakes.

Also while you are focused on dictating your text, that's where your mind/focus is - not on the road. It's really difficult to truly multi-task like we feel we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Found the Texas A&M study: https://tti.tamu.edu/featured-projec...raction-study/

In short, texting drivers may believe they’re being more careful when they use the voice-to-text method, but these new findings suggest that those applications offer no real safety advantage over manual texting if drivers choose to visually confirm the spoken texts. More specific findings from the study included:

Media information graphic showing this study's media reach around the globe was 8.5 million television viewers, 400 million readers and 12 million Twitter followers.
Driver response times were significantly delayed no matter which texting method was used. In each case, drivers took about twice as long to react as they did when they weren’t texting. With slower reaction times, drivers are less able to take action in response to sudden roadway hazards, such as a swerving vehicle or a pedestrian in the street.
The amount of time that drivers spent looking at the roadway ahead was significantly less when they were texting, no matter which texting method was used.
For most tasks, manual texting required slightly less time than the voice-to-text method, but driver performance was roughly the same with both.
Drivers felt less safe when they were texting, but felt safer when using a voice-to-text application than when texting manually, even though driving performance suffered equally with both methods.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Partly, I notice that my car often doesn't pick up 100% what I say so it's not always accurate and then you gotta focus on fixing the mistakes.

Also while you are focused on dictating your text, that's where your mind/focus is - not on the road. It's really difficult to truly multi-task like we feel we can.
I can see that, but I see no way that's as distracting or more distracting than doing that same multitasking with your eyes off the road.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I can see that, but I see no way that's as distracting or more distracting than doing that same multitasking with your eyes off the road.
From the conclusion of the study I posted right above haha

Drivers felt less safe when they were texting, but felt safer when using a voice-to-text application than when texting manually, even though driving performance suffered equally with both methods.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,258,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
From the conclusion of the study I posted right above haha

Right, but as it stated, that's because they end up grabbing their phone and looking at it even with voice-to-text. Make it illegal to hold a phone, and maybe that can be curbed.

I wish social media would just go away Most of phone use in cars is likely social media, not texting. Everyone is super obsessed with themselves, and being the first to post something. It actually causes legit anxiety in people when they hear their phone beep and are waiting to respond - there was an interesting segment on 60 Minutes about this. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: 60 Minutes Link - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hooked-on-phones/

Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Right, but as it stated, that's because they end up grabbing their phone and looking at it even with voice-to-text. Make it illegal to hold a phone, and maybe that can be curbed.
I don't think that's true - next time try sending a text while someone is having a conversation with you. How much of that conversation do you pay attention to? Not much likely because your focus is on sending the text whether physically or verbally.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:57 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Just remember people aren't only texting while driving, they're using their phones for all sorts of things while driving - social media, etc. It's not an exaggeration to say a lot of people are literally addicted to using their phones at any opportunity.
Yep. Just last weekend we watched, in horror, at the car next to us with a landscape phone mount above the steering wheel as the driver and his wife were watching a movie.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It is a weird world of technology and liability out there.

I still have a couple of Windowsphones on the shelf.
When I used them, voice to text was natively in them and simple and pretty darn safe.
Never had to touch anything to respond and converse.
"You have a text from Mickey Mouse. Do you want to read it or ignore it?"
Me: "Read it."
"Minnie and I are on our way, but will be 10 minutes late."
"Reply, call back, or I'm done."
Me: "Reply."
"What is your reply?"
Me: "No problem. We are here."
"Send, add more, or try again."
Me: "Send."
All verbal, no touch. Eyes on the road, or winking at my wife. I loved it.

I did have to touch the phone to initiate a conversation, and didn't mind pulling over or doing that at a red light.

Now with my Android phone and about my 5th app, upon receiving a text, I have about 3 seconds to look away from the road and to touch the screen to "Hear it," with no option to respond via voice without looking at my phone and touching it.

It is as if the Ford attorneys decided they didn't want to engage and pushed me back onto the phone attorneys, who figure there is less exposure if they encourage me to pick up the phone and blame me for doing so, rather than to be involved in responsible texting.
Definitely a 5-10 year step back in tech.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:36 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Yep. Just last weekend we watched, in horror, at the car next to us with a landscape phone mount above the steering wheel as the driver and his wife were watching a movie.
Yup.

Huge phones used as GPSs mounted on the dash in the line of sight for drivers serve the same purpose, albeit with a less engrossing story line.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:52 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The usable technology is already there. It's called voice recognition. Text to speech. I can do it in my 2015 Toyota Camry through bluetooth.
That's not what he mentioned. He mentioned technology that prevents people from using a cell phone in a moving car. No one is going to go for that if they are a passenger. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Not everyone has a car that is blue tooth capable, either. And studies have proven that talking on a cell phone is a major distraction, no matter how it's done - including hands free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary