Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
This had nothing to do with the landfill or the power plant. But it's another thing you can worry about.
There is probably at least one place like that in every metro, if not several.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 AM

49 posts, read 80,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I used to live in Miramonte, which I believe is one of the closest (if not THE closest) development to the landfill. I never ever smelled the landfill. Not even on the hottest of days. If it weren't for the fact that it can be seen from the onramp to 540, I probably would never have given it much thought.

The only odor issue I ever encountered (which I wonder if people are confusing with the landfill) was driving on 55 going past the fire station and gas station. On certain days (particularly overcast days), I could smell the water reclamation facility. But it was a very localized odor. Once I drove past that spot, the odor was gone. It was easily solved by recirculating the air in the car as I drove by.
Forest Springs is probably the closest. I have smelled the landfill several times during the summer and I'm about a mile away. You can also smell gas most days when driving from HS towards Apex on 55 as you drive past the police and fire stations. And there's the sewage treatment plant you mention.

Between all that and 540 cutting through HS it does makes me wonder why new houses in HS are not priced to reflect these things.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:42 AM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You should not move to Apex, Holly Springs, F-V. It seems you worry a lot, so you will be happier in Cary.

However, the landfill does not smell. There is no reclaimed drinking/household water. The power plant is a blessing. Harris and Jordan Lakes and Parks are great fun.
The landfill stinks. Many mornings our neighborhood smells terribly, and we keep getting the runaround about it.

Oh, we're installing a new system to fix it.

New system has been delayed.

New system needs to be tweaked.

etc etc etc.

My favorite recent response was to shift blame:

"Please also note that if you have experienced an odor on Hwy. 55 north of the interchange with 540 (towards Apex) it is most likely NOT an odor associated with the landfill. The Town of Apex has a wastewater plant very close to Hwy. 55 (effectively behind the Bojangles/BP gas station) that is a regular source of odors."

Old 12-14-2017, 05:37 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Its not smoke, its steam.
Actually it's water vapor, steam is invisible.

edit: someone beat me too it.

Also the dump definitely smells. I have been over by the theater and certainly smelled it. It's not all the time, but it happens.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:41 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Like I stated earlier,I find the home prices in Holly Springs really surprising.Most of the area is within 10 miles of the plant and waste water facility.After we visited from Texas to check out Wake County, I continued to read about the plant, the waste water facility and potential contamination issues...

“It may not look like much, a run-of-the-mill nuke, but inside the confines of the steel fence that rings the plant resides one of the most lethal patches of ground in North America. Shearon Harris is not just a nuclear power generating station, but a repository for highly radioactive spent fuel rods from two other nuclear plants owned by Progress Energy.”

Pools of Fire

https://m.indyweek.com/indyweek/nucl...nt?oid=1196163

https://m.indyweek.com/indyweek/dump...nt?oid=1593974

Harris was comissioned in 1987 and the operating license was renewed in 2010 for another sixty years,so the odds of it closing anytime soon are slim to none.

Do you think the majority of people buying in this area are unaware of the details regarding the plant and waste water or are they not bothered by it at all? The avergage prices we were looking at in Holly Springs were close to $170 per square foot.I just find that kind if crazy considering what is literally right there...

Last edited by CREW747; 02-22-2018 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
The landfill stinks. Many mornings our neighborhood smells terribly, and we keep getting the runaround about it.

Oh, we're installing a new system to fix it.

New system has been delayed.

New system needs to be tweaked.

etc etc etc.

My favorite recent response was to shift blame:

"Please also note that if you have experienced an odor on Hwy. 55 north of the interchange with 540 (towards Apex) it is most likely NOT an odor associated with the landfill. The Town of Apex has a wastewater plant very close to Hwy. 55 (effectively behind the Bojangles/BP gas station) that is a regular source of odors."
At first I felt like some of our concerns were silly.After doing some more reading,I realize that there is a somewhat unique combination of negatives in the Holly Springs area.The landfill and the power plant being right there for that kind of home pricing seems off.Are prices artificially inflated due to the mass influx of people from the northeast moving in?Should thousands of houses be built right around the waste facility and the nuclear plant to begin with?I totally get how some people find this fine.It definitley changed the desirability of Holly Springs for us...

Old 02-22-2018, 03:00 PM

455 posts, read 918,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
At first I felt like some of our concerns were silly.After doing some more reading,I realize that there is a somewhat unique combination of negatives in the Holly Springs area.The landfill and the power plant being right there for that kind of home pricing seems off.Are prices artificially inflated due to the mass influx of people from the northeast moving in?Should thousands of houses be built right around the waste facility and the nuclear plant to begin with?I totally get how some people find this fine.It definitley changed the desirability of Holly Springs for us...
I guess. The houses in my neighborhood have still gone up 25-35k in the past two years. I really need to take advantage and get out of here. But I don't want to give up my Ting internet LOL.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:22 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
If something happened most of the triangle could be affected anyway lol

Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post

Do you think the majority of people buying in this area are unaware of the details regarding the plant and waste water or are they not bothered by it at all? The avergage prices we were looking at in Holly Springs were close to $170 per square foot.I just find that kind if crazy considering what is literally right there...
I think most aren’t bothered because they do not dwell on crazy scenarios that aren’t going to happen.

And you think people worry about being within 10 miles of a sewage treatment plant? I’d imagine few people aren’t that close. Sewage treatment plants are all over the place.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:30 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
There are plans for 2 more reactors as this area grows. Something to consider. And it's a landfill...Of course it's going to stink if the wind blows your direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary