Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 11:46 PM

51 posts, read 284,138 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to the Raleigh area. If we do, we want to custom build our dream home. We want something like 4000 sq ft on at least 3/4 acre lot, granite, 3 car garage, pretty nicely upgraded but not overly upgraded.

Does anyone have any experience on custom builds? We are most interested in getting a rough cost estimate of what it would cost per sq foot (excluding land). Are the builders good to work with? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 06:11 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
I have a wonderful custom builder that you should talk to. I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
Debbie

Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Check out Elliott Stroud (http://www.elliottstroudbuilders.com/) (broken link). I met with them and we walked through a few of their homes in Wake Forest. I was very impressed with them and the quality of houses that they were building. Unfortunately, they were out of our price range and were building too far north for us. They are willing to build on your lot too.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info. Can you give me a rough idea of cost per sq foot to build? What we the upgrades that were included?

Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
I think that if you explore their web site and look at some of the houses that they have for sale your questions will be answered. They list the asking price, show pictures, and the spec sheets go into detail about the items included in the price, lot size, etc. If not, give them a call or email them. They were very helpful to me. The only reason that we decided against them was that they were building in neighborhoods that were too rich for our blood, and also the drive to RTP was more than I was comfortable with.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:32 AM

I checked out the site. Initially I did not see the spec sheets, but do now and see the prices as well. I will be calling them soon. THANKS a ton!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM

16 posts, read 29,704 times
please PM mee too. thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times
We are fortunate to have many excellent custom builders around here. Price per square foot is very deceptive. It depends on what you select for the house and what kind of construction you choose, so you need to be pretty specific when you talk to a builder. Very significant, also, is where you are building. The cost of the lot does vary, as you know, but so does the cost of labor, permits, utilities to the lot (if they are not already there), grading etc. There are also semi-custom builds, which is actually what most people actually end up doing. There are a lot of new construction neighborhoods with features like you describe and they are all over the map. It is far easier to pick one of those neighborhooods where you are allowed to customize the house from a choice of plans. Builders own those lots and you can pick the builder you like the best and then his or her best lot. If you are going out of a subdivision or trying to find a lot which allows you to "bring your own builder" it can be tougher unless you already own a lot. Developers and builders are out looking for lots every day, but there is so much competition they do not have that many lots of their own. PM me if you want more specific information.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:10 PM

23 posts, read 76,301 times
Default Please PM Me Too!

I'd like more info too, when you get the chance. I like the idea of choosing a builder first, then checking out the plans and the lot. We want .5 acre + wooded lot, deep set front yard, etc, ranch, reasonable, and this is proving difficult to find. New construction doesn't really excite me, (the older houses have a karma that you can feel, and it helps make the buying decision easier) but most older homes we have seen are in serious need of upgrades, or have something else wrong with them. So, why not start from scratch??? Thanks.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Someone also mentioned in the Charlotte forum also you can check out jd powers website.
http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings/home_builders/index.aspx (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary