Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:29 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,406 times

Advertisements

We just moved in in northern Durham County (4 acres in the country) and our neighbors are very welcoming and just say 'if you need anything at all, holler'. I'm a Md./DC metro "Yankee" from birth, & my wife's a Louisana native. I don't think folks (whether out in the country, or in town, e.g. Cary, Durham, Raleigh) make as big a deal of "differences" as folks might think. I think folks in the RDU region in general are very warm and welcoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 03:52 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
We just moved in in northern Durham County (4 acres in the country) and our neighbors are very welcoming and just say 'if you need anything at all, holler'. I'm a Md./DC metro "Yankee" from birth, & my wife's a Louisana native. I don't think folks (whether out in the country, or in town, e.g. Cary, Durham, Raleigh) make as big a deal of "differences" as folks might think. I think folks in the RDU region in general are very warm and welcoming.

I think you are right!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:10 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
That failure, reluctance or lack of concern to assimilate is probably the number one reason for any resentment that does exist towards transplants.
By the same token, though, I think sometimes NC natives see a nostalgia for food or items from home as a reluctance to assimilate, and it's not meant that way at all.

I see nothing wrong with wishing I could get pizza like DiFara's down here! Boy do I miss that pizza. It's delicious. Simple as that. I would also see nothing wrong if a southerner yearned for great southern food or NC barbecue up north. It's not a threat! People just...like certain things. Doesn't mean they can't like new things too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this board can be damaging in this regard. This thread is having its moments as well. Thanks to this forum, I walk around convinced natives can't stand people from the north - and what kind of southern hospitality is that? And I suppose the opposite could be said as well. Sigh. Of course, I could just stop posting but the idea is already in my head. At least where I live, virtually everyone is a transplant (they are all students and I swear I could be their mom, that's another issue)

Last edited by scorp200; 03-23-2008 at 04:19 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
My buddy Joey who moved from NJ to FL has a sign on his work truck"

"If you love NY, take I-95 North".

I LOVE that bumper sticker. I've thought of doing my own that is similar: if it's so much better where you came from, why don't you go back?

I hear it down here too. Now, if I can ever get my place sold...

P.S. My husband still refers to Virginia as back home (on occasion). Then again, S. Fla. hasn't been nice to him either.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
I LOVE that bumper sticker. I've thought of doing my own that is similar: if it's so much better where you came from, why don't you go back?

P.S. My husband still refers to Virginia as back home (on occasion). Then again, S. Fla. hasn't been nice to him either.
If I were a bumper sticker type of girl, I'd get one to match yours!!!

I have considered the "mean people suck" one, as well!!!

This forum does seem to have a negative slant towards any folks relocating to this area and I have to say, in person, it just ain't so!!!

Vicki

Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

This forum does seem to have a negative slant towards any folks relocating to this area and I have to say, in person, it just ain't so!!!

Vicki
Reading all this is making me feel better. As a Florida native, I know how I've felt about those who have relocated into my area...and it's not usually positive! I guess it's because the main ones who have relocated to my area have been the old and cranky ones from the Northeast that complain about EVERYTHING. All of our nice people are leaving and coming to NC.

I'm not a bumper sticker person either. It'll mess up the bumpers. But if I were, I'd also add in my "Jimmy Buffett for President" sticker.

And I really like your "Mean People Suck" one.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
True. It's not individuals we despise. It's the possibility that excessive migration may turn our state into the kind of garbage the transplants are running here to escape.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
I gotta tell ya, Saturnfan-not everyone who wants to come to Raleigh, thinks everythign about the area they are from is 'garbage'. It's not all so black and white.

I am looking so forward to finally getting to NC, but you know, if for some reason I never do-life will go on. I think many, if not most, other potential transplants feel the same way. Not everyone is trying to 'escape'. I truly believe it will be a better life for my particular family, but for other people, they may feel that the place I live now is better for their particular family. No garbage involved...maybe it was for you and your situation when you transplanted, I don't know.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 AM

282 posts, read 835,320 times
Speaking of bumper stickers - I've been hunting for this one recently....

"Paddle faster - I thought I heard banjo music"....

I almost drove into the truck I saw that on, I was laughing so hard....Any sightings or clues as to where to find that - let me know...That one's a keeper.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post

Have you seen the one that says "We don't CARE how you did things up North?" I always loved that one (as a native southerner and as a Floridian). I have said this before, but I've seen this exact problem in FL--in Tampa it seems we get midwesterners, and S. FL is full of NJ/NY folk. Nostalgia is one thing, saying "why don't you do things the way WE did them in (insert former home here)?" The reason is because things are different, period.

Of course, if folks have some great ideas about how things could be better done, they should go to school board meetings and local government meetings and run for office.... .....put all those great ideas to good use!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary