Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 PM

403 posts, read 353,333 times

Advertisements

I have read many concerns from people thinking about relocating to the Triangle area, regarding how they may be accepted. Will I be accepted if I am a northerner, if I am from another country, if I am of one ethnic group or another, if I arrive bringing with me a pot of gold from a house sale in a different part of the country.

Well, let me tell you.........

I moved to NC from MA and lived originally in Durham and now in Cary. I have worked in Raleigh and now in RTP (Durham). I have worked and associated with people of all ethnic groups, from all parts of the world and with true blue southern people. I have never been treated better in my life. I have been welcomed with open arms everywhere I have been and treated like family. There is absolutley no truth to rumors that southern people resent northerners for invading their territory. People love my accent.......not that I think I have one. The people in this area are the kindest people I have ever met.

If you are in fear of relocating because of how you may be treated, fear no more. I am so glad that I did not listen to what people from the north told me would happen when a "yankee" moved south. It's been great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
I've found people to be very nice here, and I've found them to be very nice other places I've lived as well. People are people--there are good people everywhere (and not so good people everywhere).

Old 03-20-2008, 06:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I agree. I didn't find the people in the triangle to be any friendlier or more rude (ruder? not sure if that's actually a word) than any other area I've ever been. There are friendly and unfriendly people in every area of the country and world (Except France; not too many friendly folks there. haha jk) There are SOME southerners who truly resent transplants (especially those from the northeast) coming to the area but they aren't the majority by a long shot. I actually found I got along with native southerners better than many of my fellow transplants while I lived there interestingly enough.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
I have read many concerns from people thinking about relocating to the Triangle area, regarding how they may be accepted. Will I be accepted if I am a northerner, if I am from another country, if I am of one ethnic group or another, if I arrive bringing with me a pot of gold from a house sale in a different part of the country.

Well, let me tell you.........

I moved to NC from MA and lived originally in Durham and now in Cary. I have worked in Raleigh and now in RTP (Durham). I have worked and associated with people of all ethnic groups, from all parts of the world and with true blue southern people. I have never been treated better in my life. I have been welcomed with open arms everywhere I have been and treated like family. There is absolutley no truth to rumors that southern people resent northerners for invading their territory. People love my accent.......not that I think I have one. The people in this area are the kindest people I have ever met.

If you are in fear of relocating because of how you may be treated, fear no more. I am so glad that I did not listen to what people from the north told me would happen when a "yankee" moved south. It's been great!
You always have the nicest things to say! Thank you!

Vicki

Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
I was born and raised here, and I am of Asian decent. Never had any problem, and I loved all the questions people used to have for me especially when there weren't many South Asians here. I always thought it was funny people thought we were hispanic. That was when there were not even many Hispanic people in NC, they would always say hola to my mom. Sometimes I would tell people about my heritage and they still though we spoke spanish. Things have changed a lot, but everyone is SO NICE!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:15 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Although I abhor the growth here, I enjoy meeting the new folks.

It's the worthless politicians who put greed over responsibility that may turn the Triangle into a Southern branch of New Jersey.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,346 times
I've met dozens of people since I moved and all of them have been as warm and welcoming as I could imagine... much more so than anyone behaves up in NY where I'm moving from. The only place I've felt like I wasn't welcome was from people here on City-Data.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
There is sooooooooo much more negativity towards transplants on this forum than what people experience in real life. Seriously. I think the veil of anonymity allows some people the freedom to behave more honestly or rudely on this forum than they would face-to-face. Don't be fooled. In day to day activities, no one really cares whether you're a transplant. People will treat you just as well as you treat them - the good ol' Golden Rule in action.

After you've lived here for a while & made some friends, do not be surprised if a person who has lived in the area for a long time complains about the growth in your presence. This is not necessarily a jab at you personally! Rather, it's just an ordinary conversation about local politics - the type you'd encounter anywhere. You may find that this person felt they could bring up the subject around you because they genuinely like you and believe that, since you're a member of the community now, you can help improve it like any good citizen. I've experienced this myself and, honestly, some of the comments saddened me a little, but I understood where the speaker was coming from & knew not to take it as a personal insult.

Granted, you may also encounter some grumpy curmudgeons who fully intend to insult you. There are a few out there. But honestly, you can find people like that anywhere. Don't take it personally.

Are the people more friendly here than other places? Perhaps. I find that people here are just as nice as most of the places I've lived before. But then again, I don't find it unusual when a perfect stranger talks to me at the grocery store. And I was taught to hold doors open for people - man or woman, old or young. For me this is just business as usual, but it might be a pleasant surprise for others.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 AM

403 posts, read 353,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
The only place I've felt like I wasn't welcome was from people here on City-Data.

This is exactly why I started this thread. I think some people have a concern based on some of the postings they find online (not just this forum). However, those are far from the reality that I have experienced. This is why I thought it was important to let people know what I have actually experienced outside of forum world. I think that in any situation, someone that is upset about something is much more likely to voice their opinion about it than someone who is happy about something, such as if you were in a restaurant. Most people will not call the manager over to say they had a great meal, be they will if they had a bad meal. So by human nature, it is likely that if one only went by what someone took the time to write online, they may have a different view from reality. Personally, I would add more weight to the positive comments than the negative, just for this reason (although I am not saying to dismiss the negatives, depending on the context).

Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,613 times
I think how you are accepted/treated has a lot to do with your personality/how you treat people. I've met some great folks from all over. I've also met a few real a-holes.
SP2SCV, I suspect you would fit in no mater where you were.
As for how you are treated on this forum and others, for gosh sakes people, it's the internet. The gathering spot for the malcontents of the world. Don't take anything to seriously. Trolls are rampant, just ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary