Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me but I think people expecting this place to have "cheap takeout" are going to be in for a surprise when it opens its doors. It's not going to be an average asian restaurant that you would see in a strip mall somewhere. It's going to be mid-upper level dining.

I mean come on, Chuong was behind An Cuisines. He's not going to open a restaurant where you order off a menu with numbers on a giant illuminated sign above a register.

Plus the rent for the house and the uplift that will need to be done are probably not going to be cheap. So prices will be higher. If you're already paying higher prices why would you get takeout? I know if I was paying you'd be sure I'd be sitting in that restaurant getting waited on for my moneys worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:37 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Agree, this doesn’t sound at all like take-out Asian. More like a nice dinner before seeing a show at the theater or for groups staying at the Mayton

Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Mayton Inn already has its own upscale dining place that's not drawing a crowd. Just feels like there's a fair bit of misjudgment of the market going on on Academy. Chatham seems to be doing much better.

But the park, the library, the arts center...these are largely going to draw families, and they're not being well served.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Mayton Inn already has its own upscale dining place that's not drawing a crowd. Just feels like there's a fair bit of misjudgment of the market going on on Academy. Chatham seems to be doing much better.

But the park, the library, the arts center...these are largely going to draw families, and they're not being well served.
I think it's one of those expectations vs reality things that happens except for edge cases (Herons). Most people probably aren't seeking out an upscale restaurant in an Inn for dinner. That's how my "millennial" mind works anyways at least. I've been to Herons before but I think one of the draws of Herons is that it's absurdly nice and expensive so it's unique. Nothing screams "ermurgurd I have to go there" about the Mayon Inn's restaurant to me.

Personally when I stay in hotels/inns often I prefer locations outside of the Inn to see what a city/town has to offer. I don't really want something in the same building that my room is in unless it's the hotel bar at a weird hour.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:

^Bingo! I totally agree there is a niche/market being overlooked -at that particular location especially. How do I know? Because I am part of that niche (family of 4 with two young children). Also, every time we drive through that corner we see lots of other families like us (kids age will vary) and know exactly what they are thinking -as they watch their kids running around the fountain and/or playing foosball.... "I wish there was a nice place to grab a quick bite to eat around here".

This restaurant location is of particular interest because it is owned by Cary taxpayers (Town of Cary bought the Jones house and renovated it and is renting it out). As a Citizen of Cary, with literally a vested business interest in that site, then I at least want it to be financially successful -even if it doesn't directly serve the needs of my family. We love Cary and consider ourselves "boosters" of the downtown revitalization; however, I am concerned with the viability a non-family fine-dining concept at this location.

Some might say as long as they pay the rent while in business who cares. We should keep in mind though that sometimes after a location has had some failed businesses go through it gets the "kiss of death/scarlet letter syndrome" and future business avoids it like the plague. We all know those type sites exist -despite the seemingly perfect location. This would be a shame because that intersection-park area, will all the foot and vehicle traffic, has sooooo much potential -for the right restaurant.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:04 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
An was super overrated. Typical small town "fancy restaurant" BS. OK, but nowhere near worth the $, and I have no issue spending $ on food (ie im not the person who complains "for a $50 entree all I got was..." nothing wrong w that just not where Im coming from w my comments). Hope they are not just recreating what they had and instead create a new direction altogether.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I think it's one of those expectations vs reality things that happens except for edge cases (Herons). Most people probably aren't seeking out an upscale restaurant in an Inn for dinner. That's how my "millennial" mind works anyways at least. I've been to Herons before but I think one of the draws of Herons is that it's absurdly nice and expensive so it's unique. Nothing screams "ermurgurd I have to go there" about the Mayon Inn's restaurant to me.

Personally when I stay in hotels/inns often I prefer locations outside of the Inn to see what a city/town has to offer. I don't really want something in the same building that my room is in unless it's the hotel bar at a weird hour.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.
Definitely. They also dont do a very good job of leveraging the community to drive awareness around what it is they are offering at Mayton Inn. The restaurant is an afterthought in the eyes of the diner (vs the inn guest).

Old 12-21-2017, 11:07 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

I agree with this....odd location for an upscale Asian restaurant (which we can all pretty well guess is what it's going to be). The exterior also doesn't scream (and never will) "Awesome Asian eats here!" so if you're driving through and have that hankering you will pass it by. Or miss it even if you're looking for it. But at least something is opening there.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:17 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
I hesitate to specifically criticize the Jones house too much, as there are challenges with the design/layout of the house and its historic value that undoubtedly give potential restauranteurs at a lower price point significant pause. I don't know exactly what the answer is, and maybe redevelopment of the current library site will provide an opportunity in a few years, but lower Academy is definitely missing some significant pieces in making it a great family destination.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:28 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
All I know is this...

1. When we are at the fountain park with the children we want good convenient family fare. Also, if they want us the return the food and service should be "good".

2. When wife and I decide it's time for "date night".... well then.... there are so many other options in Cary, Raleigh, Durham. Much more expense and planning too. So, if they want our business again it had better be an outstanding overall experience with extraordinary food and service.

3. We aren't the only ones thinking #1 and #2 (above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary